Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Not really a player I know much about.

If we have bid, it'll be our attempt to replace Austin.

Barnes' record doesn't suggest he's a goalscorer though?

We don't normally play him up top, but when we do he comes up with the goods. He could score 20+ in the Championship if he had a team built round him (like Austin had).

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Not really a player I know much about.

If we have bid, it'll be our attempt to replace Austin.

Barnes' record doesn't suggest he's a goalscorer though?

Almost half his appearances for us have been in midfield. His record when playing up front is actually about 1 in 2.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
One of Our leading goal scorers for the last two years? Most natural finisher we have IMO

Problem we have is that he's out of contract in the summer.

We lost one centre forward (Murray) for nothing two years ago, and won't want the same happening again.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Ha ha. I doubt he'd be living in Burnley. Most players for clubs round our way live in Manchester or leafy Cheshire. Both less than an hour away.

We all thought your players lived in a row of 2 bedroom terraced houses 5 mins from the ground. :moo:

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Pretty much guarantees a new striker is coming in here.

500K seems light, but maybe with a hefty sell on clause it becomes a good enough deal for us.

Plymouth have a sell-on clause which means we'd net around £300k. For our second best striker. No way Mourinho.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
We have a history of letting players go cheap compared to similar players at other clubs. Exceptions of course but generally we seem to give in to cheap.

Barnes stats are very good , English , young. Proven to a point. Any other club / player in this situation would be a good 1.5 million. .

Regardless of how he divides opinion, his stats alone should push price up.

Very disappointed if goes for less than 1.25m and would mean we need 2 in.

A top notch replacement would soften the blow but its going to upset a lot if goes cheap.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
With his contract running out 500K seems fair... If that includes a 25%-25% sell on fee. Probably worth 1M-1.5M if he had a bigger contract. Burnley would be a strange decision though, I would give our prospects more of a chance this year.

Claretfan77

Apr 6, 2012
Kurt Nogan!

I recall him getting both goals for you in a 2-1 win at our place in the early-ish 90s. On the back of that I was delighted when we bought him. In hindsight that was his best game at Turf Moor.

D

Deleted member 18477

If we sell him and replace him with better i'm not bothered.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
Can we please sell Ashley Barnes. He's a player who doesn't really have an attribute. He isn't quick and never takes an opponent out of the game by taking one on, on his own. He's not strong and doesn't hold the ball up well. He never out jumps the defender. This idea that he works hard isn't their when I've compared his work rate to Ulloa's in the games this season. Ulloa has been covering for him. He' ok in front of goal but how many chances does he miss (!) including that one against Palace in the semi's. He's done well for himself in a successful team over the years with others creating for him. He also seems like a bit of a gobby t***. I suppose I shouldn't complain though, at least he never gets sent off or trip referees over.

I'd drive him to somewhere near Burnley and pay a taxi to take him the rest of the way.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Burnley are an established Championship side with a recent flirt in the Premier League.

There is no evidence to suggest that they wouldn't pay him more than us.

He might feel that he is not getting the opportunities he desires here.

I do find it odd that people always dismiss these transfer rumours with - Why would he want to move there?

Granted, Burnley is not an urban utopia, but I don't think his contract would stipulate that he has to live in the town.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Kurt Nogan!

I recall him getting both goals for you in a 2-1 win at our place in the early-ish 90s. On the back of that I was delighted when we bought him. In hindsight that was his best game at Turf Moor.

For a period Kurt Nogan was one of the most lethal strikers I've ever seen play for Brighton, and that includes the likes of Ward and Zamora. He scored goals for fun, from all sorts of angles and distances. He then went on a wretched spell without a goal, which left him unable to even poke the ball home from a couple of feet (away at Plymouth). Rumour suggests he developed a liking for Colombian marching powder and was never quite the same again.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Can we please sell Ashley Barnes. He's a player who doesn't really have an attribute. He isn't quick and never takes an opponent out of the game by taking one on, on his own. He's not strong and doesn't hold the ball up well. He never out jumps the defender. This idea that he works hard isn't their when I've compared his work rate to Ulloa's in the games this season. Ulloa has been covering for him. He' ok in front of goal but how many chances does he miss (!) including that one against Palace in the semi's. He's done well for himself in a successful team over the years with others creating for him. He also seems like a bit of a gobby t***. I suppose I shouldn't complain though, at least he never gets sent off or trip referees over.

I'd drive him to somewhere near Burnley and pay a taxi to take him the rest of the way.

Don't sit on the fence....

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Burnley are an established Championship side with a recent flirt in the Premier League.

There is no evidence to suggest that they wouldn't pay him more than us.

He might feel that he is not getting the opportunities he desires here.

I do find it odd that people always dismiss these transfer rumours with - Why would he want to move there?

Granted, Burnley is not an urban utopia, but I don't think his contract would stipulate that he has to live in the town.

I think it should.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset

Good summary......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here