Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes

Sam-

Feb 20, 2012
Can see this as a likely transfer.
Barnes is over rated by his lovers and underrated by the haters.
I would suggest a slightly higher fee is needed although he is in last year of his contract so we may have limited bargaining power.

Barnes will always be a 10 - 15 goal a year striker in the championship. Burnley need this, as I'm sure we do. But we can't offer first team football that Burnley will offer.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Where do we find this bargain? Even Spanish strikers cost us 2 million euros.

You were prophesising, saying it was bad business to buy someone better, at a cost.

If one player was to add to the team and propel us towards a minimum of a £120m bonus, then his value is immaterial.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Can see this as a likely transfer.
Barnes is over rated by his lovers and underrated by the haters.
I would suggest a slightly higher fee is needed although he is in last year of his contract so we may have limited bargaining power.

Barnes will always be a 10 - 15 goal a year striker in the championship. Burnley need this, as I'm sure we do. But we can't offer first team football that Burnley will offer.

We've got one fit striker. When Ulloa was down & being treated last Saturday, I swear everybody around me was holding their breath. The sighs of relief when he got up to play sounded like a steam rally.
Barnes would get plenty of games with us.

Sam-

Feb 20, 2012
We've got one fit striker. When Ulloa was down & being treated last Saturday, I swear everybody around me was holding their breath. The sighs of relief when he got up to play sounded like a steam rally.
True he would get game time. However he would lead the attack for Burnley. Playing second fiddle not in an out and out striker role here.
He will certainly be wanted by several champ clubs. Will he move ? Up to him and his desires.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
If he goes to Burnley he must have been told he is surplus to requirements, unless we really are skint of course. Not exactly a step up is it.

Or refusing to sign a new deal perhaps?

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
He's not going to Burnley. Step in the wrong direction and for a pittance.
I rate this as likely as Iniesta trotting out for QPR.

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
I like Ashley and think the abuse he's received by haters has been obscene and unfair at times. No doubt he's a good player and can score goals in the champ, but i must admit if the board are serious about promotion, we do need better.500k does seem a tad cheap for me and doubt he'll go to Burnley, but you never know

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would think that £750 k for a player destined to warm the bench is about right having bought him for less than £200k. All this talk on here about £1m + is absolute rubbish people need to get real.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I would think that £750 k for a player destined to warm the bench is about right having bought him for less than £200k. All this talk on here about £1m + is absolute rubbish people need to get real.

He is a better player than CMS. Look how much we spent to get him. The last year of his contract is the problem with us getting a good price, not his ability.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If one player was to add to the team and propel us towards a minimum of a £120m bonus, then his value is immaterial.
You mean like a certain loan deal to the eventual play off winners :whistle:

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
Poyet kept playing him on the left wing and in Poyets system that also included being a left back when we didn't have the ball.

He scored a good hatrick against Blackpool last year when up front as a lone striker.

He's a good player imo and given a run of games upfront he'll score goals.
Hatrick? I thought it was only two?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010

I was one of those holding their breath until I remembered that I had seen Ulloa go down like this 137 times since he joined us ( admittedly, the hand banging the ground is usually a sign of bad news ) Plus a bloke behind me said..." He's Argentinian, they're all the same...he'll be as right as rain in two minutes "
Some people on here are talking as if we are awash with forwards...." if the price is right, let him go " etc....FFS...we are in the worst state of any Championship club for forwards.
1) Ulloa is our main man and very good. But..he will get injured and he will get suspended at some time...guaranteed...it goes with the territory...target man...takes all the buffetting...play-acts...incenses opposition..niggling...some retaliation..
2) CMS...not ready yet...mid-late Sep at best....can't play lone striker role...seen it with Gus...needs 4-4-2...may not get it.
3) Hoskins...out for a very long time...possibly forever.
4) Barnes....all we are left with....decent back-up but not good enough to play any higher than this...contract running down.
5) Barker/Dickenson...not ready yet...not good enough yet.
To say this is thin on the ground is an understatement. Sell Barnes and you would have to bring in two strikers ( We need four ) and I'm not convinced we have the budget for that.
We need to keep Barnes and bring in one quality forward.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Barnes is a good player and he's been good for us for the last few years.

With Paul Barber and FFP, do you really think we'll sell a player for £500,000 (£300-£350,000 after losing a chunk to Plymouth) and then have to buy a replacement which will cost £1.5m+ !

Absolutely moronic to entertain this idea. Put the glue down.

Stumpy Tim

There could well be some truth in this if two things have happened:

1. Contract negotiations with Ashley haven't gone well, so we decide to cash in now
2. We have a replacement lined up

If both of these things are true, then there could be truth here.

For anyone who says "why would he go to Burnley, it's a dump"... he doesn't actually have to LIVE in Burnley. He could live anywhere within an hour of Burnley, and there are some nice areas in Lancashire

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
Evening all

I believe there'll be an article from Alan Nixon in Mirror tomorrow suggesting you've accepted a bid of £500k from us (Burnley) for Ashley Barnes. Even if true he may decline the move of course.

Sound likely?

Thanks.

You and 2 other clubs from what we have all heard are interested. He has had an "injury" over the last few weeks so would not be surprised if he went. He's worth more than £500k but if played as a forward is capable of 15-20 goals a season in the championship IMHO. Wages will be the key again. I hope he goes and is replaced with new blood personally as his temperament can be very costly to his teammates. Was a loyal servant to GP and tremend in League 1.
Lets just hope we don't fall to another Murray type move.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I'd say it was a credible rumour and would indicate that we've got another attacker lined up.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
It would be a shame to lose Ashley but I can see it happening before the window closes, Whether it would be to Burnley I'm not sure as it's a sideways step at best but then again if he's offered the chance to play regular football as a proper striker rather than on the left then it can't be ruled out.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Can only see it happening if Ash refused the new deal we have offered.

If that is the case the club haven't got a lot of options and will be forced to sell this window.

I've always been on the fence regarding Barnes, some occasions been very good for us and on others been poor. With our situation as it is I'd rather not get rid but if he is holding a gun to our head we need to sell and maximise what we can get for him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here