Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
If he's as exhausted as Poyet says he desperately needs a rest otherwise the likelyhood is he'll pick up an injury and if we have any chance in the playoffs we need someone of his quality fit and fresh. Start Barnes on Saturday and if needed bring Ulloa on in the second half.

totally out on his feet for last 20 mins last night . I know bench was a bit thin , but surprised Gus didn't bring him off for a fresh pair of legs .

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
He can **** off back to the 3rd division where he belongs,his price tag is indicative of how good he is
What did you do before Jan 2013? Could you go back to that please. You're one of our least knowledgeable JCLs.

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
I'd be speechless if Barnes started and Ulloa went to bench

Ulloa was shot to bits last night, I actually thought he might collapse with exhaustion at one point... he HAS to start Barnes to keep Ulloa fresh, there is no other option.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Ulloa was shot to bits last night, I actually thought he might collapse with exhaustion at one point... he HAS to start Barnes to keep Ulloa fresh, there is no other option.

I can see Ulloa needs a rest but Barnes will not be match fit and we need to win.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Barnes seems to have got better in people's heads the more desperate we have got for a back up striker...

How do you rate him out of interest? I'm not suggesting he's a top Championship striker but he's proven he can do a job for us and we need to preserve Ullua for the playoffs.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I can see Ulloa needs a rest but Barnes will not be match fit and we need to win.

Maybe we have a different understand of 'match fitness' but I would think it's not an issue.

He's not been injured, only suspended. His level of 'match fitness' will be exactly the same as to when he was playing.

Match sharpness may be off, but his fitness shouldn't be an issue.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

No binfest but not for me. As said elsewhere give him a couple of days off and lots of treatment Friday or something. He's transformed our team in so many ways that I just can't see it. Set up to go all out go in at half time and maybe rest him then, he's got a whole week to recover after that. We can't finish anything Saturday but we do away with B'pool and we're all but home and dry.

I see the other argument to btw, but none of us know just how knackered Ulloa is ... tbf he's looked like that at the end of every game to me :smile:

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
The problem is Barnes is not a straight replacement for Ulloa. They are completely different players (and standards).

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
How do you rate him out of interest? I'm not suggesting he's a top Championship striker but he's proven he can do a job for us and we need to preserve Ullua for the playoffs.

We need to get there first. Yes, Ulloa was knackered last night but he's now got three days before the next game. If he's genuinely shot to pieces then obviously rest him, but if Gus can get 60 minutes out of him then he's got to start. It really is a no-brainer. I reckon four more points will do it and the sooner we get them the better.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
In my world that's what match fit means!

Ah ok. I amended my post before you replied as I realised perhaps my understanding of it was different.

I agree though. You would anticipate his sharpness may be slightly off. It's a long time out the team.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
totally out on his feet for last 20 mins last night . I know bench was a bit thin , but surprised Gus didn't bring him off for a fresh pair of legs .

Another argument for resting him.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
We need to get there first. Yes, Ulloa was knackered last night but he's now got three days before the next game. If he's genuinely shot to pieces then obviously rest him, but if Gus can get 60 minutes out of him then he's got to start. It really is a no-brainer. I reckon four more points will do it and the sooner we get them the better.

Yeah completely see you argument but I’d be inclined to rest him for the first hour anyway, we have goals in our midfield and Barnes can score too. If after an hour we need him then there’s the option but if we can get the win without him it will give him the rest he needs and deserves.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Why should he see a doctor? 2 x 90+ mins of football in 4 days would take its toll on even the fittest professional.

Not many other strikers cover as much ground or play as physically as Ulloa. He could barely run last ten mins on Sat but I don't suppose you were there to see that.

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
Several players were struggling last night.

Bridge had the doctor on before the start and popped a pill (probably only a salt tablet) - but Ulloa could hardly walk for the last twenty and cannot play at this tempo with the punishment he is receiving from English centre halves.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Barnes, Vicente, Buckley, KLL, Bruno all back in squad for Blackpool ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here