Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes

Dec 29, 2011
Barnes is not a striker for a team in the top four. He could do a job for a lower Championship team, say Bristol City, but he's not consistent enough to play any major role in our season.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Barnes is not a striker for a team in the top four. He could do a job for a lower Championship team, say Bristol City, but he's not consistent enough to play any major role in our season.

People's opinions on his ability don't really come in to it IMO he is our only viable alternative to Ulloa and then man needs a rest.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I hope we play two strikers up front Saturday

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I'd be very surprised if Ulloa doesn't start on Saturday, and depending on how the match is going, substituted at about the hour mark. In an ideal world that should be the call.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Barnes is a very stupid little boy and his petulance has cost us points.

However as things are at present we need him back in the squad to relieve the pressure on Ulloa and give us another option. Hopefully Ulloa will start on Saturday with Barnes to come off the bench midway thru the 2nd half.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
If Barnes comes off the bench and someone boo's him I will BOO THEM but alter the pitch of my BOO to let Barnes know I'm not BOOING him.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
If Barnes comes off the bench and someone boo's him I will BOO THEM but alter the pitch of my BOO to let Barnes know I'm not BOOING him.

You would need to let Mr Barnes know the pitch of the boo that he would be able to see as supportive to him.

edit: or rather hear as supportive to him.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
You would need to let Mr Barnes know the pitch of the boo that he would be able to see as supportive to him.

edit: or rather hear as supportive to him.

I've decided pitch will become muddled. I'll go for a MUCH louder boo which will clearly indicate I'm not booing Barnes.

I don't think I need to tell him, it should be abundantly clear.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
can't see why gus has not taken Ulloa off at 78mins or so the past two games? he is now knackered and we need him to play saturday.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
can't see why gus has not taken Ulloa off at 78mins or so the past two games? he is now knackered and we need him to play saturday.
Because he was needed. He'll be less needed on Saturday than he was yesterday, as we'll have a lot more backup on Saturday (possibly Buckley, Kaz, Barnes, Vicente).

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
But that would involve changing our formation....

I can't see much wrong with it at the moment.

We should go offensive right from the start in my view this Saturday but in Gus we trust

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
How do you rate him out of interest? I'm not suggesting he's a top Championship striker but he's proven he can do a job for us and we need to preserve Ullua for the playoffs.

As a left sided player in a front three / midfield five? Not very highlight. As a centre forward in a front pair? Capable of doing a job.

I think people need to stop counting their chickens before they hatch. All this resting Ulloa for the play offs is a little premature.

Ulloa to start for definite against Blackpool. By all means bring Barnes on if needs must or, once we are DEFINITELY in the play offs, give Ulloa a game off against Wolves.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I'm amazed that some posters don't want him back at all.

Last night the squad was down to the bare bones. Someone to my right shouted "Come on Gus, Bring someone on!"

Who? we had no one on the bench last night that was going to come on and make a difference. If fit, Barnes does give an option.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
We should let Barnes go in the summer. Of that I have no doubt. If we go up, it shouldn't even be an issue for debate, if we stay down and are serious about mounting a promotion challenge, he is not good enough when we will have Mackail-Smith as first choice back up.

However, needs must, and if George Barker isn't considered up to it, we need Barnes on the bench.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Most people know that I'm a big fan of Barnes with regard what he brings to the team and those games before Ulloa came in showed that Barnes really can play the striker role when given the support.

That said, Ulloa is a different level of striker to anybody we've had since Zamora left. That's no disrespect to Murray, Forster, Barnes, CMS, Wood, etc etc but he is a player that is at the top of the Championship standard. For that reason alone, he should always be our number 1 unless he's actually too unfit to last 60 minutes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here