Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
It depends on the tone and volume.

Well, of course, I mean my LOUD boo is obviously pro Barnes because it's an abbreviation of:

Barnes Our Only One or BOOO, but I was wondering what the REGULAR booing was. It's pronounced "Boough" from my understanding.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Well, of course, I mean my LOUD boo is obviously pro Barnes because it's an abbreviation of:

Barnes Our Only One or BOOO
Obviously.
but I was wondering what the REGULAR booing was. It's pronounced "Boough" from my understanding.
The 'Boough' boo (the common boo) is prehistoric, and used to signify that one is unhappy with the cards life has dealt them.

There's also the 'Bhoooo' boo (the panto boo), which is used in jest.
And there's the 'Boohoo' (the crybaby boo), which is used to mock.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Ulloa has seemed knackered at the end of several matches. Perhaps that's just him, and he will start, but get his rest at the 60 minute mark or so, depending on how the game is going.

NorthStandN1A

Aug 1, 2011
Hove
If Barnes starts in place of a fit Ulloa I will shave my eye brows - having said that I am not a fan of Barnes at all, but I am glad he is back as we have absolutely no depth and he is a body that has a bit of experience at this level - hopefully he can come on after 70 minutes for Leo after we are 3-0 up

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Team for Sat:

PIG
Calde Upson Greer Bridge
Buckley Hammond Bridders Lua Lua
Vicente
Barnes

All out attack and gives Leo a rest :)

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Anyone suggesting we start what is potentially our most important home game of the season so far with Ulloa on the bench and a less than match fit Ashley Barnes as centre forward needs their head examining.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I think Ulloa and Barnes will both start, with Ashley tasked with lightening Leo's workload. We are not there yet and we need to get a win saturday. If we can get a decent lead then I expect Ulloa to come off early, but we cannot take this game for granted.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
In all seriousness I can't say I've ever boo'd anything. It strikes me as one of the most BIZARRE things you can do at a football match.

I mean, WHAT IS IT? What's it even meant to mean?

I guess footballers are now performers so if you want to become all Roman you can boo if you don't like the performance. Maybe we can introduce lions at halftime? Doesn't it's origins also belong to cattle herding?

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country
I am the self-confessed # 1 Barnes fan.

I'd be surprised if he started but fully expect him to play some part on Saturday.

I am still astounded that anyone brings into the discussion his goal scoring record. Clearly he usually plays a position where he plays 3 different distinct roles:
1. Covering the full back when we are defending
2. Playing as an extra combative midfielder
3. Supporting the lone striker

Whilst off the pitch he clearly is unlikely to win an intelligence contest, he is a clever footballer and fit and does the role asked of him (unlike Dobbie for example when arguing with the bench. Caveat- apart from bring stupidly sent off).

This is what he brings to the team and I am relieved to have him back as an option.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
I think Ulloa and Barnes will both start, with Ashley tasked with lightening Leo's workload. We are not there yet and we need to get a win saturday. If we can get a decent lead then I expect Ulloa to come off early, but we cannot take this game for granted.

This. A long old way to go folks.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
He is not a proven goal scorer, far from it. Im not knocking him as he works his socks off and does good things, but he is not a proven goals scorer, take his pens out and its pretty dismal considering the amount of time he is on the pitch.
In the squad is fine by me and very handy to come off the bench if required. but thats all.

35 goals for the Albion considering he's always been far younger and second fiddle to our main strikers, is a good return, whereas a stack of other strikers in the same era, often with far more experience have not:

Sandaza
Wood (for us)
The £3.25m man CMS has in no way justified that collosal outlay
Dobbie
Agdestein
Paynter
Vokes

Some of these characters couldn't buy a goal.

For those who've watched Barnes through his entire Albion career, he's done well.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
They only thing that slightly pleases me about having Barnes back, is the thought that he may feel he has a lot to make up for and plays out of his skin. Let's hope so because an average Barnes is not very good, so he need to play out of his skin just to be upto this level. Another stupid red card and I hope he never wears the stripes again. This is his chance to redeem himself........By the way if it was most people, we wouldn't be talking about him coming back, he would be out the door already...But that's just "Ash" so it's ok.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
the thing with barnes is you take away his aggression you take away his game.........they come together.....

pmsl, comedy gold. The reason Barnes gets aggressive is because he gets frustrated because he is having a stinker. Anyone would think your talking about some football enigma like Cantona or Gazza.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here