Ashley Barnes - Your opinion

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
Most people use that quote when they quite simply could not get any better,,,like replacing Moyes at Everton or Curbishley when he was Charlton manager...not slagging Barnes off but "be carefull what you wish for.?"...well I wish for Bobby Zamora, im sure he would be slightly better than Barnes.

Murray, CMS & Zamora might be better, but why should TB get the club into debt by buying another £2.5m striker or 2 to satisfy anti-Barnes whingers?

Well done to TB for running the club well financially, and for Gus's far greater knowledge than ours & rating Barnes (and parting with Sandaza, Wood, Holroyd & Baz).

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Scored goals when on loan from Plymouth.

Scored 20 is first full season.

Scored 4 in 5 this season.

Gets in goal scoring positions and his all round play is improving, also he is 21.

Whats not to like?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
After Donny I said:-

'Well he won't score 20 this season'.

So that bodes well.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Scored goals when on loan from Plymouth.

Scored 20 is first full season.

Scored 4 in 5 this season.

Gets in goal scoring positions and his all round play is improving, also he is 21.

Whats not to like?

Correct. Barnes is a goalscorer that scores goals. Simple. Singing Ay-Ay Ashley, Ashley Barnes, Singing Ay-Ay Ashley, Ashley Barnes........

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
think Hoskins may end up above him in the pecking order, but I think he's a player who can continue to grow with this club and be a success at this level.

bhamex1901

Dec 20, 2010
And the goal against Cardiff? What more does the boy need to do? People complained he didn't score enough, but now he scoring but they're the wrong type of goals. I assume you missed all of our penalty misses last season? The lad has improved no end and deserves a lot of credit for his hard work.

Have I not just said he could be a good player at this level. The only criticism was that I didn't think he could make the Premier League and I don't reckon many people, if any, would disagree.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Murray, CMS & Zamora might be better, but why should TB get the club into debt by buying another £2.5m striker or 2 to satisfy anti-Barnes whingers?

Well done to TB for running the club well financially, and for Gus's far greater knowledge than ours & rating Barnes (and parting with Sandaza, Wood, Holroyd & Baz).

Belive me another £2.5m or another £50m for that would not get TB into debut, trust me....But I see what your getting at.

MrShaun15

Aug 28, 2010
21 years old so much potential and i just love the guy

Aug 21, 2006
Royal Arsenal
Have I not just said he could be a good player at this level. The only criticism was that I didn't think he could make the Premier League and I don't reckon many people, if any, would disagree.

Could be a good player, but 4 goals in 5 games isn't good enough yet? We're not in the premiership, so why is that an issue? I honestly hope he does;t read this board with the criticism he gets.

mccraque

Feb 24, 2009
Give the guy a break. He's scoring consistently for us.

My feeling on saturday though was that last year, with Murray, if ever we did launch anything forward, it would stick to him, he would win free kicks and slow it all down.

Sometimes with Ash and CMS, you feel that this doesn't happen and possession is lost, and the ball comes straight back at the feet of the opponents. Maybe that's because the opposition is better though. But my god those guys get through some work between them

ASh may be young - but he's banging them in and full of confidence.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Could be a good player, but 4 goals in 5 games isn't good enough yet? We're not in the premiership, so why is that an issue? I honestly hope he does;t read this board with the criticism he gets.

I think if he did read this board he would see that the vast majority of fans, rave about him. He is not the only player that divides opion, Ankergren, Dicker and more so in the last few weeks, Painter has come in for some stick from certain quarters..Thats what this board is all about isnt it opions?...What would we do if we all shared the same views?

B.H.A. Damski

May 28, 2011
i think ashley playing along side cms is whats helping him improve with craigys work rate i noticed on saturday he was alot more 'on the ball' and very focused and took a few more shots on!!

Aug 21, 2006
Royal Arsenal
I think if he did read this board he would see that the vast majority of fans, rave about him. He is not the only player that divides opion, Ankergren, Dicker and more so in the last few weeks, Painter has come in for some stick from certain quarters..Thats what this board is all about isnt it opions?...What would we do if we all shared the same views?

I don't mind a justified opinion and I've watched the Albion long enough to know that people will proper fall out about individual players and whether or not they are good, but an opinion has to have some justification and I can't see what more Barnes can do!!!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think he is one of our players, like Dicker and Ankergren, who receive a disproportionate amount of criticism for their faults and errors than others. He is young, and has been consistently improving, and I could definitely see him improving to he point he is good enough as a support player in the premier league. I also think some people, like with Dicker and Ankergren, can over compensate and praise him disproportionately, and the three of them become players the people only see what they want from them.

You want Barnes to be good (either to shove it down the haters throats or to boost your own position on him)? You'll see his positioning for goals, you'll notice when he sets up other people, while missing his bad bits. You want him to be shit (again, either to shove it down the lickers' throats or to boost your own position) you'll see his missed opportunities to shoot, or his lack of physicality, while missing his good bits

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Those knocking should stop - he's delivering - and he's young too. As someone above said he's committed and will learn to be even better - give him a chance

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
What's your opinion on Ashley Barnes? Few of the people I go with think he's 'shit'

Anyone who thinks he's "shit" really knows nothing about football. Presumably these people are under 10/JCLs/both?

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
He has something you simply cannot train: He knows where the net is. He's not the best in the air, but he's okay. He's not the best on the ground, but he's okay. He's not the best with his back to goal, but he's okay. It's bloody hard to pin point exactly what it is he adds apart from bloody goals, goals and more goals! I think he's great! He's young, smart and banging them in in the Championship. What's not to like. :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports