Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes - Your opinion

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Im the first to admit I am not a massive Barnes fan, when he is good he is good. When he is poor he is poor, looks like a player that needs a kick up the arse all the time. Thats why competition for places will keep him on his toes. What i will say, is that if it had been Barnes that missed the CMS chance towards the end on Sat he would have got slaughtered on here but because its CMS it has not even got hardly a mention. As for Ankergren, his reluctence to take responsibility and come and claim crosses lead to there first goal, but then we know he is shit on crosses. So maybe we should not expect to see him come and one of the centre halfs should be dealing with it.Either way a 5ft 8in striker Phillips or not had a free header. If he had not scored that one, then very doubtfull they would have got the second.

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
Belive me another £2.5m or another £50m for that would not get TB into debut, trust me....But I see what your getting at.

TB might not get into debt,
but if the club were silly, they could, or do a Chelski and just have a never-ending and increasing shareholder/director loan.

The club are building correctly for the medium and long term. Unusual in British football!!

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
Im the first to admit I am not a massive Barnes fan, when he is good he is good. When he is poor he is poor, looks like a player that needs a kick up the arse all the time. Thats why competition for places will keep him on his toes. What i will say, is that if it had been Barnes that missed the CMS chance towards the end on Sat he would have got slaughtered on here but because its CMS it has not even got hardly a mention. As for Ankergren, his reluctence to take responsibility and come and claim crosses lead to there first goal, but then we know he is shit on crosses. So maybe we should not expect to see him come and one of the centre halfs should be dealing with it.Either way a 5ft 8in striker Phillips or not had a free header. If he had not scored that one, then very doubtfull they would have got the second.

Your last sentence is true. They weren't looking like scoring at all. And Barnes was fouled to prevent him stroking it into the net.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
I wasn't keen last season but realise he's young and would love him to prove me wrong.

He's started this season well so here's hoping.

The main issue I have with him is last season he was fine when he was Murray's support striker but when Murray wasn't available and he was up front with Wood we had a pretty ineffectual front line.

So my worry for this season would be when he's asked to lead the line (like Gillingham!).

Flavor Flav

Get those trousers off!
Jul 5, 2008
West Sussex
He's out of contract at the end of the season. I'd definately give him a 3 year extension right now. 20 goals this season for him, which is very feasible, and he'll be both £1 million+.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
He scores us goals, Barnes finds goalscoring positions and is a constant threat. I'd prefer it if he chased down centre backs more than he does but that could be the role that Gus has asked him to play.

Barnes is much more effective as a striker than he is as a winger or out wide, but he does the job that the team needs and never complains about it and still manages to score 1 in 2 46(11) and 28 goals

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I'm not sure what the lad has to do to win people over - phenomenal goals per game ratio and strike rate - better than Murray last season on both counts (and certainly better than LeFondre playing in a lower league) despite all the noise (statistically incorrect) about him missing chances. On track for a decent goal tally already this season. Has to be impressive especially for as his age and as he gains maturity he will get better. Gives 100% in every game, never stops running, covers back, and loves the club. Had a perfectly valid goal disallowed for offside at Cardiff and should have had another penalty on Saturday,

I swear if we had Messi playing up front there are people on here who would say they'd rather see someone else

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Hmmm. Definitely knows where the goal is. Has talent but a bit ponderous at times - always seems to need a touch. The best thing about him is he scores goals and has a lot of years ahead of him.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
He's out of contract at the end of the season. I'd definately give him a 3 year extension right now. 20 goals this season for him, which is very feasible, and he'll be both £1 million+.

You dont start giving out three year contracts when you dont know where you will be in three years. If we were to get promotion this season and that is a very big if and then we were to stay in the prem like Stoke, Fulham, Wigan, Bolton etc....Then hardly any of the current squad would still be here in three years, if any.

Sloe Joe

Oct 7, 2010
Quite simply a natural goalscorer - he has that knack whatever his technical abilities may or may not be.
Personaly, he should always start from kick-off.

Flavor Flav

Get those trousers off!
Jul 5, 2008
West Sussex
You dont start giving out three year contracts when you dont know where you will be in three years. If we were to get promotion this season and that is a very big if and then we were to stay in the prem like Stoke, Fulham, Wigan, Bolton etc....Then hardly any of the current squad would still be here in three years, if any.

Fair point. However a 3 year contract would increase his value if we wanted to sell him if we go up. Thinking about it though, Dicker and Bridcutt were only given 2 year deals so I'd image the club will do the same with Barnes.

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
We have 3 great strikers in CMS, Barnes & Hoskins. When Poyet adds a quality 4th this month, that part of the squad will be complete for the Championship campaign.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If you'd seen him at Cardiff you wouldn't have started this thread. two goals, good on the ball, closed down the oppo, put CMS through 1 on 1 and was involved in the Hoskins goal. Put it another way, at the other end were Earnshaw and Miller and you wouldn't have wanted to swop Barnes for either of them.

100% correct.

Last Summer

well f*ck a duck!
Jun 12, 2008
The Hill
I think Ash gets way too much stick for his misses... IMO CMS has missed more sitters so far this season but you don't see anyone on his back.

Barnes has always been "second striker" at the Albion, and I think it's this perception that has made people overly critical of him. How many 20+ goal scorers have we had recently??

Take into account as well that last season he had a pregnant wife, and this season he has a new child... to still be performing the way he is/has shows real commitment and maturity. As I'm sure most Dads on NSC would agree, fatherhood is tiring and pre-occupying... to have the level of focus he has right now is quite a testament to young Ash.

I think Barnes has a big future ahead of him, and hopefully with us!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here