Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes - Your opinion

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
Barnes scores goals......thats what he is paid for. I also think he works hard for the team.Any doughters....be carefull what you wish for !!!!!!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
What's your opinion on Ashley Barnes? Few of the people I go with think he's 'shit' but I think he's under rated and has alot of potential, he's only 21 and got us 20 goals last season and has already started to prove his doubters wrong this season by scoring 4 already. What do you think of him?

I think he's a total grafter and consistently plays above maybe his natural ability. He gets in amongst things and makes his own luck. In short: Ashley Barnes is the anti-Holroyd.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
His all-round contribution has been steadily improving under Gus' tutelage, and he certainly got a knack of sticking the ball in the back of the net. Suffice to say, I like the kid.

Btw...If I were the OP, I'd tell the thickos you go to the football with to either 'shut it' or bugger off & watch the Premiershite on telly. Failing that, I'd start going to the football with more intelligent people.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
always feel when there's a 50 / 50 ball in the air he's not going to win anything ,always jumps like he's scared to get hurt or something ??

when murray went for the ball you always felt he was going to win it most of the time

Apart from all those matches in the first couple of seasons he was with us when he couldn't be arsed to jump. Or when he continually fell over.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
always feel when there's a 50 / 50 ball in the air he's not going to win anything ,always jumps like he's scared to get hurt or something ??

when murray went for the ball you always felt he was going to win it most of the time

Murray never got them on target when he was aiming them at the oppositions goal, though.

People claim Barnes misses too many chances but Murray missed just as many last season. I think people just notice it more when it's Barnes, for some reason.

Brighton M

Banned
Sep 22, 2006
Lancing
Fox in the box. He's a goalscorer.

Frustrating to watch, because sometimes his all-round game is a bit lacking - unlike his partners last year and this year so far, who do a lot of the hard work for him.

But he's putting it in the net, that's all that matters at the moment!

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
I said this on another thread - his last 24 games have netted him 16 goals (8 in the last 9 too), thats a fantastic ratio at any level... and as far as I see it with Barnes it is simple, he has an instinct to be in the right place at the right time as a goalscorer... time and time again this has been proved... his finishing and all round game needs improvement but he is 21 and that will come with coaching.

The key is that the natural instinct of being in the right place is not coachable - he has that off to a tee... the finishing and all round game is coachable, which means he is only going to get better!

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
so he has 28 goals in 57 apperances? thats not bad for a 21/22 year old striker

Im a Ash fan,he works hard gets in the right positions.....yer he missis chances but im sure he must have had a better goals per min ratio than muzza last season.He plays where ever he is asked and fits in to the way we play and comes into his own when we play 3 up front ! I think he is only gonna get better and has all the makings of a top striker

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Excellent scoring record and bags of potential but can go missing in games for long periods. Think he can learn a lot from CMS this year and with right coaching think we have an excellent striker on our hands

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Can't say he's a procen goalscorer at this level yet - 2 of his goals have been penalties and one was a tap in. However I think that given time he could become a good player at this level but does not have the pace/strength/touch to go any further.

May be because he gets on with his job without seeking the limelight works against him. He's going to surprise alot of people this season. Don't under estimate him. As long as he's finding the net he can't be faulted. Whilst he's scoring goals he should not be dropped. He might just end up as our leading goal scorer this season.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Ash is consistently underrated and his record speaks for itself. He's not a flashy player, and that stunning Cardiff goal is a bit of a rare beast as most of his are from inside the box. I like him and think he will be a real asset this season - and who knows, under Gus' guidance he may yet make a Premiership striker. Let's wait and see.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I'm a big fan of his, and have been since that initial loan spell he had with us. There was one game in particular, that I watched from the Family Stand at Withers, where Holroyd was running around all day, endless effort and enthusiasm, but no end product. Then Barnes came off the bench, and just seemed to instinctively know where to go, how to lose his defender and with far less effort kept finding himself in the right place. In 20 mins he scored one, and was only denied a second by a tremendous save.

That was the look of an exceptional young striker IMHO. At just 19, he was showing a lot of natural instinct. Since then his game has continually improved. He can do a more than serviceable job when asked to play out of position wide left or wide right, and just keeps getting himself in great positions, and knocks in goals regularly.

What is there not to like?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Can't say he's a procen goalscorer at this level yet - 2 of his goals have been penalties and one was a tap in. However I think that given time he could become a good player at this level but does not have the pace/strength/touch to go any further.

Ridiculous comment. If we're not counting pens or tap-ins anymore I wonder how many England goals Gary Linekar has to his name, not many I bet.

Another thing that gets me is when people say they don't like a player "because all he does is score goals" :facepalm:

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Barnes scores goals......thats what he is paid for. I also think he works hard for the team.Any doughters....be carefull what you wish for !!!!!!

Most people use that quote when they quite simply could not get any better,,,like replacing Moyes at Everton or Curbishley when he was Charlton manager...not slagging Barnes off but "be carefull what you wish for.?"...well I wish for Bobby Zamora, im sure he would be slightly better than Barnes.

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
Goals a goal at the end of the day, it may have been a tap in but it's all about getting into them positions which he is good at.

He's still young and he can adapt on his pace and strength if need be.

Excluding the penalties and taps in of many a striker e.g. Lineker, would have destroyed even their stats. Well done to young and improving Barnes.
Tenacious and brave too. Many a time, like on Saturday, in bruising scuffles for the ball near centre circle or defensive line, gets stuck in against bigger centre-halves and defensive midfielders, and more often than not we come up with the ball.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here