Ashley Barnes, The Latest: Ashley Barnes Signs for Burnley *Confirmation*

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Nobody's irreplaceable, of course not, but if we managed to get in someone who brings us all that Barnes does, for a price within our range, within the next three weeks...I think we'd have struck it very lucky indeed.

Unless, of course, the club have been preparing for Barnes leaving for a while and already have somebody lined up?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It's possible I guess. But I'm not convinced.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
I don't see this as a great move for Barnes.

He'll play back-up to Vokes and Ings. Aside from QPR or Forest, it's also highly unlikely any club in the championship would massively hike his wages (especially as a back-up striker).

There is no guarantee Burnley will win promotion, in fact I think they will miss out via the play-offs. They've not got a great deal of depth in the squad.

I really don't see how Burnley can be guaged as 'a much bigger club than ours'. Attendances are considerably smaller and they have no great spending power. I'd say they were a very average sized Championship club.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It's possible I guess. But I'm not convinced.

I appreciate he is far from everyone's cup of tea, but Andy Naylor seems to think we're not after anyone in the window apart from Conway.

That would suggest we'll only buy anyone else if we sell.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Nobody's irreplaceable, of course not, but if we managed to get in someone who brings us all that Barnes does, for a price within our range, within the next three weeks...I think we'd have struck it very lucky indeed.

TBH I think we can improve the squad by getting someone in who would be better suited to playing with, rather than instead of, Ulloa. But just my opinion and I think Barnes has been brilliant recently.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007

He'll play back-up to Vokes and Ings. Aside from QPR or Forest, it's also highly unlikely any club in the championship would massively hike his wages (especially as a back-up striker).

There is no guarantee Burnley will win promotion, in fact I think they will miss out via the play-offs. They've not got a great deal of depth in the squad.

I really don't see how Burnley can be guaged as 'a much bigger club than ours'. Attendances are considerably smaller and they have no great spending power. I'd say they were a very average sized Championship club.

I've bet against them getting top 6, that's how confident I am that they'll fall away. They've got two strikers on a hot run of form, and I personally don't see it lasting.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
So fans would be more disappointed if Barnes left, than if Bridcutt or Buckley left. Who'd have thought it.

I think we can cope with the loss of Liam far more easily than the loss of Ash, but Liam remains the better player.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I agree with you but let's say hypothetically Burnley are offering to double Barnes wage and we aren't prepared to do it, we are probably better off getting some money in for him now and scouring the loan market unless Barnes is going to be the difference between us going up and not going up. This is where the chairman and chief exec earn their stripes, big decisions to be made.

On a personal note, I'd be very upset to see Ash go. He's improved as player massively under Poyet and now Garcia. It's to his immense credit that a club in Burnley's position are sniffing round him.

I think we are in a position as a club to not have to match Burnleys hypothetical wage offer. If they offer him a hypothetical £12-13k we would keep him here for £10-11k so I don't think we would have to match them.

When he was offered a contract in the summer the club would not have known if he would be part of Oscars future plans, so it would have only been a nominal offer. Barnes would not have even know if he would see eye to eye with Oscar either, so he would have been daft to sign anything then.

If I thought he was unhappy here I could see a move likely but he looks as settled here with his team mates and manager as I have ever seen a player. The whole set up here with the new academy, stadium and system we play is quite desirable and cannot be under estimated in the bargaining power.

They say better the Devil you know, and the Devil that he knows is quite a good one so I would imagine he will secure a fair and new deal for more than we offered him last summer.

That's my theory anyway :)

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
No stats bending by me. 11 in 29 in the league, equivalent to about 17.5 in a season, and I could see him getting 20+ quite easily.

Or 11 in 24 starts (5 sub apps).

Over a season your looking at 20 if he started most games. Playing with Ulloa alongside him (if it happened), I could see him easily hitting that.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Of the three who are being linked with moves this month, Barnes is the one I'd be most disappointed- and surprised- to lose.

Bridcutt: we have other options & he hasn't played much anyway. We've coped. Buckley has been largely awful this season, plus we have LuaLua, March & potentially Conway too.

I don't see how we could replace what Barnes brings to the team easily. I really hope he stays.

Possibly the most sensible post on this thread so far.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Whatever happens, his performance at Turf Moor in a couple of weeks (for whichever team) could be well worth watching.........if he plays of course.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Not last season though when the season stats were 11 in 31 league appearances, and 2 cup appearances, leaving 11 to play with an average of 1 in 3 in all games. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012–13_Brighton_&_Hove_Albion_F.C._season
Anyway, I can't be bothered to argue.

For what it's worth, my records show prior to his injury

24 starts
5 sub appearances.
1 unused sub appearance
5 games where he didn't make the squad.
For a total of 2249 league minutes (incl injury time)

1 cup start
1 cup sub appearance
0 missed cup games.
For a total of 93 cup minutes
All his goals came in the league.

11 League games remained when he was ruled out
2 play off games also remained

This leaves plenty of room for twisting of stats. Give me a little while...

Last edited:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Ings to Southampton apparently to replace Lambert possibly moving elsewhere.

I heard over the weekend that West Ham have put in an £8m bid for Lambert, and that he is likely to go. I would not hold my breath, though.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

I agree with what you say, but the one difference is that Burnley play with what too many on NSC want, which is two up top. Beyond wads more cash, this is the only explanation I can think of for Barnes to prefer Burnley to Brighton. Oh, I almost forgot, there's the abuse he undergoes from Brighton fans. That is something that we can do something about.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I think we are in a position as a club to not have to match Burnleys hypothetical wage offer. If they offer him a hypothetical £12-13k we would keep him here for £10-11k so I don't think we would have to match them.

When he was offered a contract in the summer the club would not have known if he would be part of Oscars future plans, so it would have only been a nominal offer. Barnes would not have even know if he would see eye to eye with Oscar either, so he would have been daft to sign anything then.

If I thought he was unhappy here I could see a move likely but he looks as settled here with his team mates and manager as I have ever seen a player. The whole set up here with the new academy, stadium and system we play is quite desirable and cannot be under estimated in the bargaining power.

They say better the Devil you know, and the Devil that he knows is quite a good one so I would imagine he will secure a fair and new deal for more than we offered him last summer.

That's my theory anyway :)

Fingers crossed you are right. Barnes has worked himself into a pretty handy negociating position here I think.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports