they will want to leave
it is a judgement call whether we can increase their wages
or seek to hold on to them when still in contract
or cash in when we can
or hold onto players who want to leave
But all comments along the lines of the fans do not like me
or such and such a place is a s**t hole
or one club is more likely to be in the premier league
are all irrelevant it comes down to money.
Personally I am more worried about losing Ince than Barnes
If we lose bridcutt

Oct 25, 2005
Hangleton
If he continues the season on season improvement he has made since arriving here I'd suggest he has a very good chance of getting into the Premier League. There are plenty of strikers who didn't make it until they were considerably older than Barnes. Too many people underrate AB and forget how young he still is.

To be fair, someone like Rickie Lambert surprised me by making successfully making the transition. His goal ratio is better than barnes but as you say he was further on in his career when he joined Southampton and stepped up.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
To be fair, someone like Rickie Lambert surprised me by making successfully making the transition. His goal ratio is better than barnes but as you say he was further on in his career when he joined Southampton and stepped up.

Sheringham?

Ian Wright

are two others that spring to mind

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Would be nice to just bloody see him !!

Me too. We need to (a) get him match fit, and (b) play to his strengths, hopefully playing off of Ulloa. Then I think we can judge. Gus said he would build his team around CMS, but he didn't. Far from it, he chose to do the opposite, often playing him upfront on his own, which CMS was never going to excel at (still got 11 in 29).

Stumpy Tim

bigger club is a euphemism for pay bigger wages
if any of our players are offered significantly larger wages
they will want to leave
it is a judgement call whether we can increase their wages
or seek to hold on to them when still in contract
or cash in when we can
or hold onto players who want to leave
But all comments along the lines of the fans do not like me
or such and such a place is a s**t hole
or one club is more likely to be in the premier league
are all irrelevant it comes down to money.
Personally I am more worried about losing Ince than Barnes
If we lose bridcutt

Rubbish poem. Doesn't even rhyme

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Vokes has signed a new contract at Burnley. This may kybosh any move now.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Me too. We need to (a) get him match fit, and (b) play to his strengths, hopefully playing off of Ulloa. Then I think we can judge. Gus said he would build his team around CMS, but he didn't. Far from it, he chose to do the opposite, often playing him upfront on his own, which CMS was never going to excel at (still got 11 in 29).

Maybe CMS wasn't as good as Gus had hoped and he felt it wasn't worth tinkering with the passing style that had served him well the previous season and to the detriment of other players to try and incorporate him?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Maybe CMS wasn't as good as Gus had hoped and he felt it wasn't worth tinkering with the passing style that had served him well the previous season and to the detriment of other players to try and incorporate him?

If that was the case, he should've sold him when he had the chance instead of continually playing him isolated up front.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Jeez this is just getting embarrassing now :facepalm: They made the PL and we didn't. Clearly he didn't make the wrong choice.

We are not really qualified to make that call as we will never know if palace would have made it to the premier league without his goals. On the other hand, had he stayed, then perhaps we'd have been promoted. So it is futile to say either way. However one can state categorically that he made a choice that worked out for him.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
BBC Sussex Sport ‏@BBCSussexSport 7m
Mirror link @OfficialBHAFC with Cardiff striker Joe Mason for £600,000 if Barnes goes to Burnley #northstandchat

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It's at times like this that TB's investment in a professional scouting system / network will definitely pay its way. I would inagine there are contingency plans ready to go to mitigate the risk of any of our key players leaving in this window. Replacements will have been identified for each.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
In an ideal world Barnes would not be out of contract in the summer and we would keep him.

But, presumably, he will be looking for guarantees about his place in the first team, possibly in his preferred position. With Mackail-Smith coming back and Ulloa our number one striker, will get those guarantees at the Albion?

Big decision for Barnes at an important time in his career.

Business sense says that if he looks likely to run his contract down we should cash in now.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
In an ideal world Barnes would not be out of contract in the summer and we would keep him.

But, presumably, he will be looking for guarantees about his place in the first team, possibly in his preferred position. With Mackail-Smith coming back and Ulloa our number one striker, will get those guarantees at the Albion?

Big decision for Barnes at an important time in his career.

Business sense says that if he looks likely to run his contract down we should cash in now.

Exactly this, I don't want to lose Barnes however if he isn't going to sign a contract and we can get £1m for him I think we should sell him and replace him.

If he walks in the summer, not only do we lose a good player we have to fund a replacement.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Exactly this, I don't want to lose Barnes however if he isn't going to sign a contract and we can get £1m for him I think we should sell him and replace him.

If he walks in the summer, not only do we lose a good player we have to fund a replacement.

How are we going to do this if he is prepared to let his contract run out? He has the whip hand now, he knows clubs want him and also know's how much they are prepared to pay him. Also the chance of a bigger signing on fee in the summer

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here