Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes, The Latest: Ashley Barnes Signs for Burnley *Confirmation*

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
We aren't going to sell Barnes, Buckley, Leo and Liam in this window, as various rumours have suggested. At the very most, we'll part with two of them.
From the outside looking in, Liam and Ash do seem the most likely but there's no doubt in my mind that Barnes will be an Albion player for the rest of this season.

I also don't understand why Burnley would relentlessly pursue him. There's players with much better goal-scoring records available.

For that price? I don't think there are many. And that's not taking in to account everything else he offers. Would be gutted to see him go.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
At worst, the fan reaction will make him more resolved to decide simply on a business basis. When you're universally loved at a football club, a legend in waiting, it will be a bit of a wrench to leave that club, even when it's the right thing to do financially, footballing reasons, and for your family, there's something about being loved that just makes it harder to go. But I don't think being the subject of so much unfair abuse will force him to leave, just approach all offers in a more detached way.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I don't think if he goes it will be because of a minority of fans giving him stick. It will be because of career aspirations/money. You have consistently overplayed the fan thing for some reason.

Consistently? I only mentioned it twice in a response. He said himself he ignores the negatives in the crowd so he knows they're there.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Who on earth would want to move to Burnley from Brighton, though?

It's a northern place and therefore grim.

Burley makes Huddersfield look like Acapulco! Complete shit hole

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
I don't think if he goes it will be because of a minority of fans giving him stick. It will be because of career aspirations/money. You have consistently overplayed the fan thing for some reason.

What does Burnley have that we dont ? Just because they are 2nd, doesnt mean they are going up. Just look at Middlesbrough this time last year - were at the top of the table(ish) then went in freefall for the rest of the season.

Also not sure Burnley have more money to offer than us.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
None of us can guess this. Depends on how talks of a contract have been. If we think it is unlikely he will sign a new deal (or if we don't want to deal with them until 'we know what league we are in') then £1.5m is a great deal for us. Ultimately, if we think he will sign a new deal, or wants to, then we shouldn't be selling him.

But it wouldn't just be about a new contract potentailly being signed that will help decide if we want to accept an offer or not, it would also be whether there is a greater value to us to keep him for the remainer of his contract even if we then lose him on a free.

We turned down an offer of £3.5m for Zamora from Everton (i think it was them) because we preferred to keep him for a season in the Championship and we eventually sold him for just £1.5m

So do we sell Barnes to cash in if he won't sign (I hope he does sign for us again) or keep him until the summer and benefit from his contribution to the side

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Consistently? I only mentioned it twice in a response. He said himself he ignores the negatives in the crowd so he knows they're there.
And ignores it.. you said it yourself ..the guy would know that football fans are a fickle bunch.. no matter what club

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
What does Burnley have that we dont ? Just because they are 2nd, doesnt mean they are going up. Just look at Middlesbrough this time last year - were at the top of the table(ish) then went in freefall for the rest of the season.

I think thier prospects for promotion will be better than Middlesbroughs were but only if they can keep their strike force intact and fit.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

I have it on good authority (albeit admittedly second-hand) that they were offering him a MASSIVE wage increase, when they were sniffing about in the summer.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
I think thier prospects for promotion will be better than Middlesbroughs were but only if they can keep their strike force intact and fit.

My point is that nothing is certain and they arent really any better than us - they got a better start than us, mainly because we had a new manager "bedding-in process" and now were improving.

Also, since they arent doing too badly at present - would Barnes actually be needed ? Why would he move just to be a benchwarmer ?

I have it on good authority (albeit admittedly second-hand) that they were offering him a MASSIVE wage increase, when they were sniffing about in the summer.

What - £5 and some Tetley Tea ?

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I think he made his mind up when he heard the noise around the stadium when he chose to take that penalty. Why stay where he's not wanted?

You are kidding. There are more important factors than the reaction of the crowd when he demands to take a penalty ahead of the recognised penalty-taker. Like signing-on, salary, family, prospects etc.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
My point is that nothing is certain and they arent really any better than us - they got a better start than us, mainly because we had a new manager "bedding-in process" and now were improving.

Also, since they arent doing too badly at present - would Barnes actually be needed ? Why would he move just to be a benchwarmer ?

What - £5 and some Tetley Tea ?

There own concern that Ings might go?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Ings to Southampton apparently to replace Lambert possibly moving elsewhere.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I would be very disappointed if he left, but I couldn't blame him. Wage increase if HKFC is correct and a guaranteed contract for 2/3 years i'd imagine, plus a fresh start and no fans who have taken a irrational disliking to him even though he gives 100% every game.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Burnley don't sound that keen going by this quote However, with the Seagulls digging their heels in over keeping the striker, plus Burnley dealing with a number of minor injuries affecting defence and midfield, Dyche is keeping his options open.

“There are a number of irons in fires. There’s an order of business because we haven’t just got the finance to throw it at six or seven so we’ll see how the next few days develops,” said the Clarets boss

It would need to be over £1 million at least, even though he's out of contract in June. Their previous offers have been derisory.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here