Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes isn't nearly good enough for us.

Samej

Banned
Apr 24, 2011
Before you say, oh another thread about Barnes, than don't read or post in it.
Before you quote stats, don't. Stick to the stat filled PC Manager games

But I thought earlier in the season that Barnes was not up to wearing the stripes, and after watching him numerous times, yesterdays performance at Bournemouth proved to me that he is out of his depth, and is never going to be the half decent striker we hope he will become, unless he toughens up and grows a pair of bollocks.

Strikers, like central defenders need to be able to take a whack and dish one out, otherwise they won't make it in 99% of cases. Look at Al Abd. He aint performing like he is because of his skill. He wins the battle with most strikers in the first ten minutes of a game. Barnes yesterday was a complete waste of space and was very lucky not to leave the ground in an Ambulance. Just compare him to Murray. Nearly every time Murray goes up for a header, he wins it. Even when he completely missed a flick on yesterday, the defenders marking him flicked it on for him. They are so worried about Murray they make mistakes. When Barnes goes up for a header, its half hearted, going through the motions. He hardly ever wins any, and all you see from him is a cowardly pulling in of the shoulder and ducking his head out of the way. Its the same with tackles, he dangles a leg, and never makes a hard challenge. He must be a center half's dream too play against. When the Bournemouth center half's saw the team yesterday, they must have been pissing themselves laughing. Instead of having Murray who was going to be a danger all afternoon, they had to put up with Barnes, who's only danger to them was going to be getting a headache from all his whining. Refs are never going to give Barnes a 50/50 decision, because they can see the way he plays. He always looking to get out of the way and go down before the balls near him. BE honest, how many of think of Barnes, and see a picture in your mind of him sitting on his arse, arms out by his side with a look of disbelief on his face because he didn't get a free kick?

He was so lucky yesterday when he was on the receiving end of that second half crunching tackle, that his leg wasn't snapped in two. The first thing you teach a player, is never pull out of a tackle, or never just dangle your leg at a tackle, as you are a lot more in danger of getting seriously injured, then if you tackle hard yourself. When he got hit, I honestly though he'd broke his leg, and if he carries on like that it wont belong before a career ending injury comes along.

The boy is just too lightweight for pro football, and all the time he has a hole in his arse he wont make it. He'll find his level in the conference within a couple of years. Unless of course he learns to toughen up, but in most cases you cannot teach someone bottle, you either have bottle or you don't. You can get away with being and playing like a tart in some positions, but not as a striker. I think his only hope to go and do a bit of UFC training and learn to overcome his weakness and tartness, and learn how to take a whack.

In addition to his weak challenging at headers and that near leg breaking tackle, did you notice that when he an Murray& Barnes broke yesterday and Murray squared it, Barnes went hiding behind the defender. Murray squared it, and Barnes was nowhere. If he had done as he was meant to do and get in front of the defender, he would have either got a shot and probably scored, or got fouled and got a penalty. Either way he'd have got a whack, so that probably why he went and hid behind the defender, where he was nice and safe. The only way we would have scored there was an own goal, or if the defender fluffed it. But, no he'll wait for the unchallenged chances too add to his goal tally.

Now before people quote his stats, I think any other striker at the club could match these or better his goal tally given the game time and position Barnes has had this season. I even think if you got an old pro like John Byrne, he'd have easily matched Barnes tally, even without playing or training for 10 years. What I'm saying is, even through Barnes is the second highest scorer, any striker given Barnes' chances would easily match it. As a team we have been creating so much, we could have doubled our goal tally with the right striker this season.

You've just gotta take a look at the amount of chances Barnes as missed, most of which, I think is down to his bottle. I haven't looked, but I bet a lot of Barnes goals have been from unchallenged shots. No doubt he can strike a good shot when given time, and if football was a non contact sport, he'd be one of the best, but its not, and he's not.

I still see Murray just as much as a provider than a scorer if not more the provider, and I think the way the game turned at Bournemouth when he come on yesterday proves it. He'll chase things down, get stuck it and create chances of others, and cause defences problems, whereas Barnes isn't gong to cause any defence problems. I bet if you went back to yesterdays game, Barnes took a whack and threats from a defender early on, and after that he was shit scared of getting involved, and until he can learn to toughen up a bit, his only hope is to become a winger or he will fade away, and if he doesn't learn to toughen up then I hope he fades away sooner rather than later, because without a player like Murray in the side, he is a waste of space, and if I was a player of Murrays ability, and got dropped for Ashley Barnes yesterday, I'd tell Gus where to stick his new contract.... (although obviously in a nice way because of Gus' god like status, I wouldn't be rude too him at it!!)

Thats your opinion my opinion is your not a good enough supporter for us, please do not attend any games at the AMEX nest season

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
Thats your opinion my opinion is your not a good enough supporter for us, please do not attend any games at the AMEX nest season

As much as I disagree with Mr Burns' point of view, that's just such a ridiculous comment. Are you 3 years old? Or educated in a hole in the ground?

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008

What a f***ing idiot you are, not to mention the fact you're quoting a 4 month old post.

Apr 13, 2011
***ONE OFF POST****

Banned for a week, without any reason given why? So can't post again until May 9th.

Maybe this is El Presidente only way of winning an argument, but either way would be nice to know why?

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Is there a time limit on quoting posts? Does HustpierpointSeagulls make the Nsc rules now?

I don't (although I should), but whoever just banned Mr Burns certainly shouldn't be enforcing them! Doesn't strike me as El Presidente's style though

Apr 13, 2011
***LAST POST ALTHOUGH NO DOUBT HE'LL BAN ME FOR LONGER JUST CAUSE HE CAN***

Banned for personal abuse appartenly!!

Banned by who though?

El Preseidente is a wind up merchant, and really should not be a mod. He has gone out of his way to wind up the situation in the Ashley Barnes thread, continuing making comments that have already been discussed, knowing full well he will get abuse. I even told him I would cut and paste the same thing everytime he brings up something we both discussed in the past.

He has a bully boy style of posting, and whilst fine if he was a regular poster, he should never ever be a mod on this forum based on his style of posting

For example when you banned me for having a go at Paul Samrah the other week, have a look who was the only Mod who had to have his say on it. No other Mod needed to have their say, but it shows what a wind up merchant he is. That just sums him up, and I noticed that he was on your page earlier, so if it was him who banned me, and judging by the time of response and the fact no one put in the Mod decisions forum (as I'm sure if it was someone else they would have done) then to be honest, its a f***ing POOR show, if the only way a Mod can win an argument is to ban the other poster, because other than bringing shit up from the past that has already been discussed over and over again by the pair of us, he had nothing to say.

This site is excellent, and brilliantly run on the whole, but the sooner Bozza strips this pratt of his Mod status and turns in back into a normal poster the better, because its not the first time is it.

Please keep the mods a class above the rest of us. It really makes the site what is it. El Pres is a wind up merchant, who likes to call names, act a twat at times, and play the bully boy, and he really should be classed with the rest of us, and not a Mod.

As no one as posted the reason for my banning, I'll take it t was El Pres, but he hasn't got the back bone to take stick over it. If it was another Mod I'd have fully expected it to be posted in the correct as soon as I was banned.

As I say, its a f***ing poor show, when a Mod is allowed to wind up users, and then ban them when they get stick back.

OVER AND OUT! What's the point in posting if the Mods can play games like that.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Purely out of interest then, can someone point out WHERE Mr Burns has persistently insulted people in this thread, because as far as I can tell the last 30 pages have been nothing more than him taking abuse.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Ok if we are comparing:

Murray in previous seasons has gone missing in games and been very petulant to the detriment of the team.

This season under Gus he has come on leaps and bounds and realised his potential at this level and looks like he he will be steady at Championship level.

Murray has seasons of experience at this leel and is now approaching his peak performance age.

Barnes has scored 19 Goals in his first full season as a regular and looks good around the box with his link up play, will be more of a squad player next season I'm sure but in a few years could be one hell of a player. Or are we saying all his goals were a fluke and just down to the team?

IMHO Barnes will be a good solid forward for us in years to come.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Purely out of interest then, can someone point out WHERE Mr Burns has persistently insulted people in this thread, because as far as I can tell the last 30 pages have been nothing more than him taking abuse.

Looks like the rumours are true, it does make you go blind.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
H Block were reveling in the fact that they were going down.
Absolute bollocks. I saw about 6 teenagers in H block acting like cünts towards their fans that night, and that was about it. In fact, there were a few people in H block who wouldn't have minded giving them the slap they deserved.

"Reveling" my arse.

X Isle

Mar 6, 2011
Worthing
Ok if we are comparing:

Murray in previous seasons has gone missing in games and been very petulant to the detriment of the team.

This season under Gus he has come on leaps and bounds and realised his potential at this level and looks like he he will be steady at Championship level.

Murray has seasons of experience at this leel and is now approaching his peak performance age.

Barnes has scored 19 Goals in his first full season as a regular and looks good around the box with his link up play, will be more of a squad player next season I'm sure but in a few years could be one hell of a player. Or are we saying all his goals were a fluke and just down to the team?

IMHO Barnes will be a good solid forward for us in years to come.

Gus will have to careful how he plays that though Barnham. Ash does not recognise that he's young and needs to learn, he will see being dropped as an insult and will make petulant remarks to the media. He made a big impact for us as a teenager then went all billy big bollox when he inevitably burnt himself out a bit and needed a rest. Paul Sturrock and Paul Mariner know a bit about the dark arts of strikers but Ash knew better.

For the reasons I gave a few pages back he doesn't (presently) fit the mould you desperately need to flourish in the CCC but he could well grow into that role. He lacks the maturity and understanding to grasp the concept of patience though and Gus is going to have to manage that situation carefully or he'll be off again.

I just get the feeling that unless he grows up a bit he'll be a lower league journeyman, a good solid dependable League 1/2 front man who never made the step up because he wasn't prepared to accept the wisdom of others. Compare and contrast with Jamie Mackie, not much older but did what Sturrock said, took his medicine and is now a Premier League player and would have been the CCC top scorer had he not been 'Dioufed'.

PS - If anyone was aiming abuse at us we never heard it, t'would olny have been a tiny minority and the sentiment of the majority was recieved, understood and fully appreciated. Mind you we were singing all game long so probably couldn't have heard your 'numpty cell' anyway. Saints however were inglorious bazzards all game long yesterday, even taking the time and trouble to try and wash my car with their phlegm. You can't buy class can you.

Last edited:

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
Gus will have to careful how he plays that though Barnham. Ash does not recognise that he's young and needs to learn, he will see being dropped as an insult and will make petulant remarks to the media. He made a big impact for us as a teenager then went all billy big bollox when he inevitably burnt himself out a bit and needed a rest. Paul Sturrock and Paul Mariner know a bit about the dark arts of strikers but Ash knew better.

For the reasons I gave a few pages back he doesn't (presently) fit the mould you desperately need to flourish in the CCC but he could well grow into that role. He lacks the maturity and understanding to grasp the concept of patience though and Gus is going to have to manage that situation carefully or he'll be off again.

I just get the feeling that unless he grows up a bit he'll be a lower league journeyman, a good solid dependable League 1/2 front man who never made the step up because he wasn't prepared to accept the wisdom of others. Compare and contrast with Jamie Mackie, not much older but did what Sturrock said, took his medicine and is now a Premier League player and would have been the CCC top scorer had he not been 'Dioufed'.

But to be fair, I think Barnes has matured significantly as both a player and person since he played for Plymouth. He could have failed to accept Gus' wisdom on several occasions this season when Murray and Wood were selected ahead of him. As far as we know, he reacted well, worked hard, and took his chance after getting his place back.

Also, don't forget that there are always two sides to the management coin. If he appeared petulent while playing for Plymouth, who is to say that this isn't at least in part a reflection of Sturrock / Mariner's man-management skills? At the very least, it's clear that they failed to get the best out of him.

One thing is for sure, Barnes is another player with a previously modest track record that Poyet and our coaching staff have developed into something much better. He may not be one of our two first choice strikers next year, but on the strength of what I've seen this season, he is more than capable of competing in the Championship.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here