Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes isn't nearly good enough for us.

WeAreTheAlbion

Aug 19, 2010
Northstand - AMEX Stadium
Its not very good me getting involved in this debate as i am a HUGE fan of Barnes, been my favorite player since the begging of the season and i dont know what this MR BURNS guy is talking about?

19 goals in all competitions shows that he is by far good enough for league one, the albion and the championship.
and plus he just keeps getting better, at the start of the season, yes i know he missed several sitters but that number has gone down and he is starting to put away his chances, not only does he do that but he gets into great positions and he is very good on the ball as he can beat his man on numerous occasions.

you mr burns are a VERY stubborn person by making this thread ages ago, watched barnes improve, watch barnes score 19 goals, but still you think he is bad and you think he is right.

He will be with us next season and he will be scoring for us next season
and you know it.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Its not very good me getting involved in this debate as i am a HUGE fan of Barnes, been my favorite player since the begging of the season and i dont know what this MR BURNS guy is talking about?

19 goals in all competitions shows that he is by far good enough for league one, the albion and the championship.
and plus he just keeps getting better, at the start of the season, yes i know he missed several sitters but that number has gone down and he is starting to put away his chances, not only does he do that but he gets into great positions and he is very good on the ball as he can beat his man on numerous occasions.

you mr burns are a VERY stubborn person by making this thread ages ago, watched barnes improve, watch barnes score 19 goals, but still you think he is bad and you think he is right.

and you know it.
Congratulations. Even with all the arguments in this thread, I do beleive you are the first to say he is by far good enough for the championship :lol: :lol:

WeAreTheAlbion

Aug 19, 2010
Congratulations. Even with all the arguments in this thread, I do beleive you are the first to say he is by far good enough for the championship :lol: :lol:

I meant by far good enough for league one, and good enough for the albion and the chamionship

Revilop

All aboard the Gus bus!
Jul 13, 2010
Worthing, West Sussex
I like barnes, his movement is the best in the team, he scores goals, he is willing to get stuck in, and he is a million times better than any other striker we have! (excluding Murray!)

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough

and you know it.

What a load of tedious, poorly constructed crap. Just because you are a "HUGE fan" of a player doesn't mean you have to make out that they're God's gift.
How does scoring goals in League One prove he is good enough for the Championship?!
He's scored 19 goals this season, yeah. Fairplay to him.
Is he good enough to start in the Championship next season?
Not a chance. He'd get eaten alive by Championship defenders.
Give it a couple of years, and he might stand a chance, but if Barnes is our strongest or second strongest striker next season, we are in trouble.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
You wont get a reply to that one.

But that is the point I am trying to make, and that is a great example. I think if Barnes was in a team like Bristol Rovers he'd be lucky to get half a dozen goals. But because he can afford to waste handfuls of clear cut chances for everyone he scroes playing for the best team in the league, he gets away with it, and people are blinded by his goal tally.

But anyway, this thread will fade and die soon, as I have no doubt Barnes will be 4th choice at best next season, if the rumours starting to do the rounds are true. If he struggles to start in place of Wood as a striker this season, then next season he'll be lucky to get a place on the bench for the ressies if the strikers we are going for sign...

I actually agree with you for once on the last paragraph. He probably will be fourth choice for us next season as we need to sign proven Championship quality strikers (and I really hope that we do sign some quality there). I do think Barnes will still have a part to play though and he has done a really good job for us this year.

As you have said elsewhere, virtually nobody has said he is Championship quality so dropping down the order next year will not prove your point. I think he is a good League One player but, as with most of this squad, it remains to be seen whether he will make it in the Championship. Most of our players are untried at that level so it will be interesting to see who remains after a year up there.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Ashley Barnes
Personal information
Full name Ashley Luke Barnes
Date of birth 30 October 1989 (1989-10-30) (age 21)
Place of birth Bath, England
Height 6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)[1]
Playing position Striker
Club information
Current club Brighton & Hove Albion
Number 9
Youth career
2005–2007 Paulton Rovers
Senior career*
Years Team Apps† (Gls)†
2007–2010 Plymouth Argyle 22 (2)
2007 → Oxford United (loan) 3 (1)
2008 → Salisbury City (loan) 5 (0)
2008–2009 → Eastbourne Borough (loan) 8 (5)
2010 → Torquay United (loan) 6 (0)
2010 → Brighton & Hove Albion (loan) 8 (4)

Barnes record from Wikipedia prior to signing for us shows he hadnt scored many goals so being with Gus and Co has obviously improved his game so lets hope this continues next season.

king Wombat

Nov 9, 2003
wombat world
Ashley Barnes
Personal information
Full name Ashley Luke Barnes
Date of birth 30 October 1989 (1989-10-30) (age 21)
Place of birth Bath, England
Height 6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)[1]
Playing position Striker
Club information
Current club Brighton & Hove Albion
Number 9
Youth career
2005–2007 Paulton Rovers
Senior career*
Years Team Apps† (Gls)†
2007–2010 Plymouth Argyle 22 (2)
2007 → Oxford United (loan) 3 (1)
2008 → Salisbury City (loan) 5 (0)
2008–2009 → Eastbourne Borough (loan) 8 (5)
2010 → Torquay United (loan) 6 (0)
2010 → Brighton & Hove Albion (loan) 8 (4)

Barnes record from Wikipedia prior to signing for us shows he hadnt scored many goals so being with Gus and Co has obviously improved his game so lets hope this continues next season.

Most interesting in that is that he hasn't played many first team games.

To get 19 goals in your first full season as a regular first teamer is an excellent achievement. He is only going to get better and better and I'm hopeful he will play a big part for the albion over the next few years.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Most interesting in that is that he hasn't played many first team games.

To get 19 goals in your first full season as a regular first teamer is an excellent achievement. He is only going to get better and better and I'm hopeful he will play a big part for the albion over the next few years.

If he's not good enough, why does Gus keep playing him?

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008

and you know it.

:facepalm:

What age did you drop out of school? Not doing this reputation for H blockers being uneducated morons much of a favour are you?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
This thread title has been royally disproved anyway, not good enough for us yet he's scored 19 goals? :lolol: To be honest i don't see where the debate is, he's 21, in his first full proper season with a club and has scored 19 goals, how can anyone criticize that record? Its beyond belief.

X Isle

Mar 6, 2011
Worthing
Speaking as one who has actually seen young Ash in the 'blood & snotters' of CCC football, i'd be worried.

He burst on the scene and scored a memorable winner at Molyneux but my overall memory was of him sitting on the deck with his arms outstretched shouting at the referee. He will have to have come on leaps and bounds in the 18 months or so he's had with you, and as great as it's been i'm not sure how much you REALLY learn in a team that wins every week and doesn't have to dig deep having faced adversity.

I can't emphasise this enough, the CCC is the land of the giants, they're all big and strong, they all chase every ball and they all their defenders know how to kick lumps, pull shirts, wind up and get under the skin of young hot headed but not overtly gifted centre forwards. Ash is a confidence player and as such, in your team, in this league, he's been fine. I'd worry about him in real battle conditions against very good centrehalves.

For the record I don't come at this from a bias viewpoint, i'm not one of the Argyle fans who disliked him, I actually quite liked him and really felt we should have been selling others before we let you take him. But he has weaknesses, these may become more apparent to you as the going gets tougher.

What you need and what Gus I sincerely hope is going to get for you is a certain type of striker who can match those centrehalves in the gamesmanship and muscle stakes (Grant Holt, Steve Howard, John Parkin, Barry Hayles, that sort of player). The CCC is no place for boys, especially moody ones.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Speaking as one who has actually seen young Ash in the 'blood & snotters' of CCC football, i'd be worried.

He burst on the scene and scored a memorable winner at Molyneux but my overall memory was of him sitting on the deck with his arms outstretched shouting at the referee. He will have to have come on leaps and bounds in the 18 months or so he's had with you, and as great as it's been i'm not sure how much you REALLY learn in a team that wins every week and doesn't have to dig deep having faced adversity.

I can't emphasise this enough, the CCC is the land of the giants, they're all big and strong, they all chase every ball and they all their defenders know how to kick lumps, pull shirts, wind up and get under the skin of young hot headed but not overtly gifted centre forwards. Ash is a confidence player and as such, in your team, in this league, he's been fine. I'd worry about him in real battle conditions against very good centrehalves.

For the record I don't come at this from a bias viewpoint, i'm not one of the Argyle fans who disliked him, I actually quite liked him and really felt we should have been selling others before we let you take him. But he has weaknesses, these may become more apparent to you as the going gets tougher.

What you need and what Gus I sincerely hope is going to get for you is a certain type of striker who can match those centrehalves in the gamesmanship and muscle stakes (Grant Holt, Steve Howard, John Parkin, Barry Hayles, that sort of player). The CCC is no place for boys, especially moody ones.

Fair comment. He was signed to help get us to the CCC, and has just very well in doing so. His mardybumness doesn't help him for sure, but it is part of the game these days.

I think we are all aware of his shortcomings, but he does have some good points too. Compared to past seasons, seeing him come off the bench and making an impact has been very significant in us being champions.

They do look huge in the Championship, and that is why (awaits flaming), Southampton may do better than us UNLESS we invest over the summer (which to be fair to Gus and TB, does seem likely for once).

stss30

Apr 24, 2008

Good point, which is a rarity on this thread... I agree but I still think he'll make a good back up striker. Good luck against the Saints, although I don't hold out too much hope :(

WeAreTheAlbion

Aug 19, 2010
What a load of tedious, poorly constructed crap. Just because you are a "HUGE fan" of a player doesn't mean you have to make out that they're God's gift.
How does scoring goals in League One prove he is good enough for the Championship?!
He's scored 19 goals this season, yeah. Fairplay to him.
Is he good enough to start in the Championship next season?
Not a chance. He'd get eaten alive by Championship defenders.
Give it a couple of years, and he might stand a chance, but if Barnes is our strongest or second strongest striker next season, we are in trouble.

well do you think murray is good enough for the championship?
hes only a few goals off barnes and more playing time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here