Ashley Barnes isn't nearly good enough for us.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I think he's had a good season actually and surpassed expectations (even if that is at least partly down to the fact he has been carried, lets say we swapped over Hoskins and him, would Barnes have got hoskins return in a team that went down?) But whilst the same boring people keep telling me I'm wrong for thinking he has downsides, I'll keep on arguing.

Really, I don't think I have ever seen you say that. Obviously Barnes has his down sides and I have never seen anyone say he is perfect. Lets be honest, if any of our players had no downsides they wouldn't be playing for us.

Also, you may be right about Hoskins but he has been Bristol Rovers' main striker this season whereas Barnes has been one of three possible strikers for us and the goals have been shared between the three of them. As has been said before, I genuinely don't understand why people need to start threads to slag off players. I understand people questioning players but this thread wasn't about that and Mr Burns' original post on this thread was a disgrace and would make me cringe every time I read it if it was me.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I think he's had a good season actually and surpassed expectations (even if that is at least partly down to the fact he has been carried, lets say we swapped over Hoskins and him, would Barnes have got hoskins return in a team that went down?) But whilst the same boring people keep telling me I'm wrong for thinking he has downsides, I'll keep on arguing.

I don't think anyone thinks you are wrong for saying he has downsides, I have expressed some similar views myself. He doesn't win much in the air, can disappear at times and seems a bit sulky towards officials.

At the same time he has done well to get into as many goalscoring positions as he has done, some (certainly not all) of his finishing has been very good (I was at Oldham, Watford, Exeter, Colchester, Bristol Rovers for example), and for the money we paid for him represents excellent value, regardless of whether he plays another game for the club or not...........IMO. His ability to come off the bench and make an improvement has made a difference at times this season. I think he plays a lot better alongside Murray than he does alongside Wood, and that is credit to both him and Murray.

He is neither Messi nor Ashley Neal.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
Sadly it is, it could have ended 20 pages ago but the same boring twats that think it is funny to bump it every time he scores a penalty he didn't win or a ball goes in off his arse, and that they don't need to contribute further because they've proved their point by using a smiley. It isn't funny and doesn't prove a thing.

Oh hello. Well if you're taking over as the spokesperson for the anti-Barnes brigade, and are going around retorting to selectively picked posts, perhaps you'd care to do Mr Burns a favour? See below.

What stats would you like me to come up with that are relevant to this?

Minutes to goals ratio. But then again, I dont care about stats. I'm just trying to put across 19 goals isn't as good as it looks, and people should not use this as their argument, as nearly all on here do. Because on that basis wouldn't Sandaza be our best striker, when he clearly isn't.:shrug:

One goal every:
Sandaza 115.60 mins
Barnes 171.11 mins
Murray 174.34 mins
Wood 188.70 mins

WHich is why stats are bullshit, and most cant see past 19 goals which is my point...... and why I answer those that like to quote nothing but 19 goals, with the stats thats show Barnes as being one of the poorest regulars.....

How does that prove your point?

Mr Burns, I am not an unreasonable man. If you put forward a point, and give me reasonable evidence, I will weigh up all available information to come to an informed decision. However, if you just spout biased opinion, you will receive the reaction that you have. Please, give me some evidence to support your view! Stats are one form, highlights, match incidents are another. I have been watching Brighton all season, been to a few away games- so I should be able to recall the masses of incidents that I'm sure have occurred where he has evidenced the point that he is not good enough for us..

My point being, please will you guys start actually giving evidence, rather than spouting tedious, biased, opinion. We've shown/ told you what he has done well, show/tell us what he has down to make him "not good enough for us".

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I was talking figuratively, I'd have no issue with the thread being bounced when he put in a really great overall performance throughout a match, but I'm yet to see him do that.

In your comments after the Tranmere game you did come across as having a personal vendetta against him if you don't mind me saying so, especially as you were not at the match.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
Strikers are made to score goals, Barnes does that even if his performances arent great so what's the problem ? 19 goals you can't argue with that.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
In any other season than this- a player as young as Barnes scoring 19 goals in his first season for the club would be branded an absolute hero-
He missed a lot of chances early on but once he calms down a bit he will score-i like him-is he the answer to challenging next season? probably not but he will be the only striker at this club almost certain to be here come the start of next season and we should welcome that.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
my point being, please will you guys start actually giving evidence, rather than spouting tedious, biased, opinion. We've shown/ told you what he has done well, show/tell us what he has down to make him "not good enough for us".

this!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
How much did Jimmy Greaves or Gary Lineker contribute to the team outside of their goals. Very little but their goals made a big difference to the team as did Ashley Barnes we shall have to wait and see if it continues in The Championship.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
How much did Jimmy Greaves or Gary Lineker contribute to the team outside of their goals.

Gary Lineker was very much a minder on the pitch to younger players......the infamous "Have a word with him" springs to mind.

I understand your point though BG.

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
If YOUNG Barnes put away every chance and half-chance, he wouldn't gone from Plymouth to struggling Brighton.
Premier League clubs would have snapped him up.

He's been great for Brighton and should be proud of his efforts. He also is a selfless team player, with awareness of team mates and has accurate passing.

Sandaza and Wood have been the embarrassing planks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports