Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes - Enough is enough......

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
If he had put away the penalty, I guarantee this thread wouldn't have started.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Barnes is the problem and cost us a point tonight. Got to be dropped.

Bridcutt cost us a point tonight too then as he was at fault for the goal.

Barnes was one of the better performers, El Abd and Greer were slow, Crofts anonymous, Buckley didn't see enough of the ball, CMS spent the first half offside.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
We needed a target man as everyone recognized for when we're going through a rough patch. Unfortunately, Gus didn't bother and now we're paying the price.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Barnes isn't the problem. The squad just isn't quite gelling now. Dobbin should be a third goal scoring option to Barnes and CMS but he isn't looking like it yet. Hoskins may or may not be a better option when match fit. Agdestein and Barker aren't ready yet. We need the option of a big fella up front and with the quality we have in the other 10 players I think we could sign someone from a lower league or division if they have shown ability in the air and appetite for goals.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
I agree. I wrote my post in this thread based on what I've seen this season and last, rather than what happened tonight.

It's amazing what conclusions people draw. I don't know if you saw it, but in the official match thread someone was complaining our players have fallen over more than Leicester players! Genuinely amazing.
What is your point Ninja?...I made a STATEMENT that according to the commentators our players kept slipping over whereas Leicester players kept their feet.... (they do tell you when a opposition player who has the ball slips)........what is so amazing about that...thought this was a discussion board....sorry if I did not ask your permission to post....but I don't find that any different to some who says "Why are we so SHIT at corners"....it's just opinions......get over it sunshine....

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
What is your point Ninja?...I made a STATEMENT that according to the commentators our players kept slipping over whereas Leicester players kept their feet.... (they do tell you when a opposition player who has the ball slips)........what is so amazing about that...thought this was a discussion board....sorry if I did not ask your permission to post....but I don't find that any different to some who says "Why are we so SHIT at corners"....it's just opinions......get over it sunshine....

Actually the slipping over is highly relevant. As the players were kicking off Saturday Lopez was having studs removed/replaced, I mean for goodness sake, this is completely unprofessional -if we cannot get the footwear right God help us!

After a week of rain, we still watered the pitch, then CMS slipped over for the fist 10 mins.

Corners? Agree with that as well, but due to our continued lack of physical presence, we will rarely threaten.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

Touchy. Complain about players falling over all you like when you've seen the game and seen what happened but when you're listening on a radio?! To me it seems like a daft thing to complain about. We got an impression of the game from listening to the game but I would never speak with any confidence about an issue I hadn't actually seen for myself. If you like to blindly follow all that you've heard, go ahead sunshine but I won't be following that example.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
SoTW does have a point about the inability of our players to stay on their feet, it could have been far worse last night had Leicester capitalised on it.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
But he fell over when could of got a Pen first half (after the challenge) went down easy twice more when in good position missed a pen and then missed the target in time added on when should hsve scored. Is he a striker or not? Just asking as that whats his profile says?

Yeah obviously, but I think there's an argument to be had for the fact that yes, he is a striker, but he doesn't play as one (based on his position in the line-up). I agree with the penalty miss but at the same time, they are regularly "discounted" when talking about his scoring record as an extra stick to beat him with.

For me a penalty miss is a cardinal sin for any player, but if any of our players had any spine and didn't think Barnes was taking them right, I would expect and demand it of them to force the issue and take the penalty instead.

As he is a striker, he will never voluntarily give up penalty duties so its up to Gus or CMS or whoever to sort that out.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Want stats?

Leicester 16 shots 14 on target

Brighton 7 shots of which 2 on target.

Now if it had been about 15 shots to 2 on target there may be a point.

Truth is service is shit, the good start to the season was down to Defenders Bruno, Bridge providing. Truth is Buckley and Lua lua are not f***ing good enough. We are a different team when vincentte plays.

How is Vicente relevant to this? He's hardly played this season.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Touchy. Complain about players falling over all you like when you've seen the game and seen what happened but when you're listening on a radio?! To me it seems like a daft thing to complain about. We got an impression of the game from listening to the game but I would never speak with any confidence about an issue I hadn't actually seen for myself. If you like to blindly follow all that you've heard, go ahead sunshine but I won't be following that example.

Exactly.

I usually stay out of the match thread apart from if I need an update when I can't get it from usual sources.

Full of people talking as if they are actually at the game. It's mental!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
SoTW does have a point about the inability of our players to stay on their feet, it could have been far worse last night had Leicester capitalised on it.

And if Barnes had scored his penalty, we'd have drawn 1-1.

Exactly.

I usually stay out of the match thread apart from if I need an update when I can't get it from usual sources.

Full of people talking as if they are actually at the game. It's mental!

It is an amazing thread if you really follow it through. People take things very literally.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
And if Barnes had scored his penalty, we'd have drawn 1-1.

It is an amazing thread if you really follow it through. People take things very literally.

I dont think anyone on here is against the effort that Barnes puts in, it is great and in parts he is good for the side, the points I agree with on this thread is that if we really have asprirations of getting the promise land, then he is not the answer a striker and surly with the "quality" we have in the squad now, there is better midfield players who can do the job that he does. If we want to stay as a championship side, then happy to carry on with Barnes.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Each to their own Ninja....were you at Leicester then?....again, I was was repeating the radio commentary...if at home then what other can I do,others have seen our players slip over...even at the Amex....so you never complain about a report that you heard on the radio then. Look mate,don't want to get in a slagging match with you...there are much more important things than that. I'm Albion through and through........end of!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that the biggest beef about Barnes is nothing to do with the effort he puts in but more of technical ability, his first touch is generally awful and he needs too may chances to create a goal..

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Each to their own Ninja....were you at Leicester then?....again, I was was repeating the radio commentary...if at home then what other can I do,others have seen our players slip over...even at the Amex....so you never complain about a report that you heard on the radio then. Look mate,don't want to get in a slagging match with you...there are much more important things than that. I'm Albion through and through........end of!

Clearly I wasn't at Leicester, no, and it's hardly a slagging match. No-one is questioning whether you're Albion through and through or not, you have Stuart Storer in your avatar picture afterall, a lot of our support wouldn't know who that was. Our players do indeed fall over a lot at the Amex, I've never understood the watering of the pitch before kick off, irrespective of whether it needs it or not. Can't comment on Leicester, I wasn't there. That's all I was saying, nothing more or less. We have no problem here.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Clearly I wasn't at Leicester, no, and it's hardly a slagging match. No-one is questioning whether you're Albion through and through or not, you have Stuart Storer in your avatar picture afterall, a lot of our support wouldn't know who that was. Our players do indeed fall over a lot at the Amex, I've never understood the watering of the pitch before kick off, irrespective of whether it needs it or not. Can't comment on Leicester, I wasn't there. That's all I was saying, nothing more or less. We have no problem here.

u ever played much football, its not a dig either, just a question?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
u ever played much football, its not a dig either, just a question?

Yeh, u?

And in English, yes, I have. I know it's to make the pitch slicker and in theory it helps. But when it's been bucketing down with rain? You can OVERwater the pitch.

(Granted, I could have worded my original post better. But you could have worded your reply better too!)

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Yeh, u?

And in English, yes, I have. I know it's to make the pitch slicker and in theory it helps. But when it's been bucketing down with rain? You can OVERwater the pitch.

(Granted, I could have worded my original post better. But you could have worded your reply better too!)

yes, if the pitch is already wet on top theres no need to water. Definitely not "in theory it helps". much easier to zip the ball about, but you knew that anyhow.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here