Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes - Enough is enough......

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
We are not scoring goals. Who is to blame if not the strikers?

I think cms will benefit from a better strike partner. Barnes could do a job as a squad player.

As previously said GK was mom. El-abd is good at a lot of things but he gets out thought sometimes and leaves K to bail him out.

Seriously has CMS been that good this season? 2 of his goals were him getting in the way of shot's from Barnes which were going in.

If people want to slag off Barnes fine but apply the same level of scrutiny to all the players in the squad.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Want stats?

Leicester 16 shots 14 on target

Brighton 7 shots of which 2 on target.

Now if it had been about 15 shots to 2 on target there may be a point.

Truth is service is shit, the good start to the season was down to Defenders Bruno, Bridge providing. Truth is Buckley and Lua lua are not f***ing good enough. We are a different team when vincentte plays.

BrightonSeagulls

Aug 7, 2010
Hove
There is no one in the squad who doesnt start that should replace Barnes so this is pointless

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
Barnes is not the problem
Our main striker is the problem, shit in the air and rubbish first touch (these should be the minimum basics of a striker)

Leicester Seagull

Oct 24, 2009
Back from the game and I'm as frustrated as anyone about Barnes two big misses today. However, he still brings a lot to the team and is a decent squad player. Likewise CMS is a useful player. However, I don't feel that the two compliment each other well. As has been said for a long time now- we need a third, powerful striker with more presence in the air, who can play alongside either Barnes or CMS. Until we have that player, I don't see the point in leaving Barnes out, (particularly in a game like tonights when his defensive abilities are more important).

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Barnes is not the problem
Our main striker is the problem, shit in the air and rubbish first touch (these should be the minimum basics of a striker)

Those two goals against Burnley were rubbish as well! mis-hit passes both of them... probly

tweenster

Oct 16, 2009
Lincoln
I thought Barnes did OK tonight (apart from the penalty, of course!). He did some good chasing and tackling back. Certainly better than in other matches I have seen him this year.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I thought Barnes did OK tonight (apart from the penalty, of course!). He did some good chasing and tackling back. Certainly better than in other matches I have seen him this year.

But that's the problem isn't it? Calderon last season did well, he worked very hard, scored some important goals and put in 100% every minute of every game but Bruno is a better player than he is. So we replaced him. Calderon is a decent Championship player, and a good option in the squad. Barnes is also a decent Championship player, but is he a Premier League player? Is he a top end Championship player? Maybe he is, but not in the position we play him.

bhamex1901

Dec 20, 2010
But that's the problem isn't it? Calderon last season did well, he worked very hard, scored some important goals and put in 100% every minute of every game but Bruno is a better player than he is. So we replaced him. Calderon is a decent Championship player, and a good option in the squad. Barnes is also a decent Championship player, but is he a Premier League player? Is he a top end Championship player? Maybe he is, but not in the position we play him.

That is an incredibly obvious but also a very good point.

Bigbelly

Banned
Sep 24, 2011

We want him heading in the other direction and scoring GOALS!

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
His goals to chances ratio is poor.

Really?

He has played 11 games this season, scored 3 times from 19 shots and also has 2 assists

Zaha who is currently valued at £43 trillion and is apparently responsible for anything good that happens to Palace has played 11 games, scored 4 times from 19 shots and has one assist

Last season Barnes scored one in every 5 shots, this season it's about one in every 6 (so far)
Last season CMS scored one in every 6 shots.

I don't think he's doing that bad.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
I kind of agree with you but if Gus insists on playing such a formation then Barnes needs to be replaced. Playing him out wide is insane. If you want to play that system then like I said, he is the first of the starting 11 who's position could be strengthened. Blame the manager, blame Barnes I don't care but what to me is crystal clear is that that position needs looking into!

The thing is we play with one winger and the position that Barnes plays is more of a free role going forward, but is used to protect the left back when we don't have the ball. Whenever Barnes hasn't started or gets subbed, we seem to get mobbed down the left hand side.

At the moment he's not been great going forward, but his defensive work has been invaluable. I think the problem sits more with the midfield three. Earlier this season Dicker seemed to be doing well keeping things ticking over and linking things together. That now seems to have stalled. I'd like to see Spanish Dave in that role, with one of Orlandi/Buckley/Keza as a winger. Or failing that try starting Dobbie again but in a free role.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here