Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Arsenal’s Ben White

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Is Maguire even in full training yet?

I’m sure I read that he has only just started running again. If that is true, Southgate has really cocked up, Slabhead can’t possibly be fit enough for a game intensive tournament.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Is their anyone who actually rates Mings other than Mrs Mings and Mr Southgate ?

I haven't seen much of Villa in the past 2 seasons, but I've not seen anything from him that impresses me. I think that anyone that rates Mings is basing it on the season he had on loan at Aston Villa in the Championship. He was 26 at that point and had done nothing to indicate that he was a Premier League level defender.

I know we love to hate Smug Eddie, but he can spot a player, and his decision to have only played Mings in 17 PL games 4 seasons at Bournemouth before that loan says a lot.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I haven't seen much of Villa in the past 2 seasons, but I've not seen anything from him that impresses me. I think that anyone that rates Mings is basing it on the season he had on loan at Aston Villa in the Championship. He was 26 at that point and had done nothing to indicate that he was a Premier League level defender.

I know we love to hate Smug Eddie, but he can spot a player, and his decision to have only played Mings in 17 PL games 4 seasons at Bournemouth before that loan says a lot.

You don't think that Mings' serious knee injury was a large reason why he didn't play more for Smug Eddie?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
England’s Ben White

Dunk and White both have the ability to pick out really good long passes as well .Not sure if the other back three defenders are as good as them at doing that.

Coady is one of the best in the Premier League at that. Maguire and Stones are strong at this also. But in terms of transitioning the play from defence to attack with the ball at feet, only Stones is at White’s level in my opinion.

It’s sad for Dunk because he is probably a better defender than Coady and clearly a better goal scorer. Perhaps Coady’s vocal ability and leadership style put him above Dunk for GS?

What is clear to me now is that Maguire (injury) & Mings (overall game) should not be in the squad. Dunk & JWP would be ideal replacements.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Covered in detail in the media at the time, Howe answered questions about Mings.

Mings was fully fit for a long time but got nowhere near the starting 11. Howe preferred Ake.

Well, of course he preferred Ake. Would anyone argue against that decision? Mings needed game time after his injury, which he got in the Championship and then that club wanted to keep him and paid a premium fee to do so.

Personally, I think it's a revision of reality to criticise Howe for not playing Mings more often at Bournemouth.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I have absolutely no doubt that he wanted to join Leeds.

He just won The Championship with them, and made good friends there. He was a fan's favourite. Why wouldn't he want to join them?

At that point, The Albion meant very little to him other than being his parent club.

But yet, he remained professional during that transfer saga and for the entirety of last season. His professionalism has been exceptional for such a young age and must be in part why he's going to the Euros.

Yet he went on holiday with a very good mate, who plays for Brighton, and he knew from his Academy days.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here