[Football] Arsenal’s Ben White

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
As the Times pointed out this morning - he was very good at pointing and shouting.

And he missed a penalty he should never have taken.

Whereas the R5 and TS ex-footballers praised his range and accuracy of passing driving us forward. "Our other central midfielders, Rice and Phillips, haven't got that in their lockers".

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
England’s Ben White

Absolutely delighted for Ben. A few of us here felt he’d be the right choice but I didn’t expect it frankly. He had near flawless games vs Austria and Romania. Looks international class already. Probably made to look even better by playing alongside the hapless Mings.

One thing not mentioned by the mainstream is that the way the Albion play I think has also helped him. He’s completely comfortable on the ball, playing it short and transitioning to midfield.

I think we’ll do really well to keep Ben now. He’s in the world shop window for the Euros and if goes well I expect several big clubs will be making an enquiry this summer.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
The fact that Mings is left-footed, is the only thing keeping him in the squad.

I thought that as well, but he’s played Trippier at LB so the reason is fading.

GS has made a mistake (and I suspect he knows it now) with Mings, maguire and Henderson The friendlies should have been played (1 at least) before the squad was finalised as he can only take out “new injuries” now.

White / dunk should have been in the 26 already and JWP should have been the 26th after TAA

Can’t see how Mings can start now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Nice! Congratulations to Ben - the sky's the limit for you young man.

I reckon he'll end up in the first XI too. Maybe not the 1st game, but as soon as Mings makes that mistake that's coming...

Though maybe Southgate is finally coming to his senses and we'll hear later today that Dunk has been drafted in to replace Maguire after he failed a fitness test, Ward-Prowse is replacing Henderson after he failed a fitness test and Webster is replacing Mings after he failed a footballer test.

Would have to be “new injuries” for Maguire and Henderson to be removed. Let’s hope arm wrestling is brought into the training camp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
He was provided with an outside chance to show the manger that he could be in his post euro plans but White has taken the chance given him with both hands and made the tournament squad. Very impressive and mature performances from him given his age and first season in top flight but pleased for him and being at a major tournament at his age is an incredible achievement and experience for him.

With slabhead injured and the ticking time bomb of Mings as competition there is every chance he will feature in games at the tournament as well which was unthinkable 2 weeks ago

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Stating the obvious, Brighton have 2 Academy players who made Premier League debuts this season, going to the Euros. Just wow!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
In just one night, he has probably become our most valuable player, surpassing Bissouma.

Delighted for him. Fully deserved.

He could have thrown his toys out of the pram for not being allowed to join his friends at Leeds, but he didn't.

Instead he stuck his head down, worked hard, improved, adapted. Great professional. Reaping the rewards now.

You've been reading too much Leeds social media. The only reports we ever heard about White desperatly wanting to join Leeds permanently were from Leeds fans. He was bright enough to not burn any bridges with Leeds while transfer offers being made, but he's never given any indication, implied or otherwise, that he wasn't perfectly happy to be returning to a regular starter at his parent club - as would have always be the assumption during his loan.

PeakGull

Aug 30, 2017
Derbyshire
Yeah but what do them lefty pinko COMMIES know about Foopball its a MANS GAME

More than the right wing nut jobs in the Torygraph:

Ben White 5

One of three players not even in Southgate’s final squad and battled well with Alibec but looked shaky when forwards ran at him and hardly dominant in clearing his area.

Tyrone Mings 6

Courted disaster inside the opening minute with a bad slip and hardly looked rock solid thereafter as the left side of England’s defence was exposed. A good late block from Cicaldau kept the lead.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
On Twitter lots of "Ward Prowse robbed", a few "The right and obvious choice" and a couple of "Great, now Leeds have two players going to the Euros". :rolleyes:

Bad day for stains.

The lad they kicked out and didn't think would make the cut, who could've been one of their best players, himself kicks out one of their best players who doesn't make the cut . The irony is delicious.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
You've been reading too much Leeds social media. The only reports we ever heard about White desperatly wanting to join Leeds permanently were from Leeds fans. He was bright enough to not burn any bridges with Leeds while transfer offers being made, but he's never given any indication, implied or otherwise, that he wasn't perfectly happy to be returning to a regular starter at his parent club - as would have always be the assumption during his loan.
In fairness, his agent did say that there was "a tinge of disappointment" at not joining Leeds, which went quickly after he joined up with the Brighton squad

https://www.skysports.com/football/...h-before-signing-new-brighton-deal-says-agent

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
More than the right wing nut jobs in the Torygraph:

Ben White 5

One of three players not even in Southgate’s final squad and battled well with Alibec but looked shaky when forwards ran at him and hardly dominant in clearing his area.

Tyrone Mings 6

Courted disaster inside the opening minute with a bad slip and hardly looked rock solid thereafter as the left side of England’s defence was exposed. A good late block from Cicaldau kept the lead.

Whoever wrote this blatantly wasn’t watching the game. “Looked shaky when forwards ran at him”. Which forwards? When? Ben was utterly composed from the first minute to the last. I mean bloody hell. If you’re talking shaky what the hell is Mings?

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I have absolutely no doubt that he wanted to join Leeds.

He just won The Championship with them, and made good friends there. He was a fan's favourite. Why wouldn't he want to join them?

At that point, The Albion meant very little to him other than being his parent club.

But yet, he remained professional during that transfer saga and for the entirety of last season. His professionalism has been exceptional for such a young age and must be in part why he's going to the Euros.

At any time he could have put in a transfer request though. So I doubt he “wanted” to join Leeds. He made friends there as he did at Newport.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
He was provided with an outside chance to show the manger that he could be in his post euro plans but White has taken the chance given him with both hands and made the tournament squad. Very impressive and mature performances from him given his age and first season in top flight but pleased for him and being at a major tournament at his age is an incredible achievement and experience for him.

With slabhead injured and the ticking time bomb of Mings as competition there is every chance he will feature in games at the tournament as well which was unthinkable 2 weeks ago

Being really Albion centric selfish here, there's no downside..... White will be buzzing, full of confidence and training in such company will make him better, it's unlikely he will get much game time so injury worries are minimal and now if/when others come sniffing as they surely will, being a full England international adds another 15 million on his value.

The genius and foresight of Bloom is shown again.

He's definitely worth a lot more than the pathetic mid 20's offer from Leeds

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Whoever wrote this blatantly wasn’t watching the game. “Looked shaky when forwards ran at him”. Which forwards? When? Ben was utterly composed from the first minute to the last. I mean bloody hell. If you’re talking shaky what the hell is Mings?

The journo is either blind or palace

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I have absolutely no doubt that he wanted to join Leeds.

He just won The Championship with them, and made good friends there. He was a fan's favourite. Why wouldn't he want to join them?

At that point, The Albion meant very little to him other than being his parent club.

But yet, he remained professional during that transfer saga and for the entirety of last season. His professionalism has been exceptional for such a young age and must be in part why he's going to the Euros.

The Albion picked him up as a released 16 year old and supported his development, and that included the carefully picked loans for 2 and a half seasons - they weren't just trying to get him off the wage bill! I'm fairly sure that the support he received from the Albion - both financially and technically - during that period meant a fair deal to him.

I'm sure he'd have been happy to have joined Leeds if the transfer bid had been accepted, but I doubt his tie to them after only one season would've been any stronger than that which he had down on the south coast.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Really happy for Ben, but why do England insist on taking injured, or recovering players to major tournaments? It has never worked, even going back to Spain 82.
Slabhead and Henderson shouldn’t be going,.

It's madness. Henderson clearly isn't fit and Maguire apparently hasn't even started to run in training yet - he isn't going to play a single game. Quite a lot of bleating on Twitter that it should have been Ward-Prowse rather than White - it should have been both of them in the squad not either/or, and Dunk for Maguire. Fantastic for Ben and so pleased for him and the club, but Southgate is an idiot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports