[Football] Arsenal’s Ben White

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I ****ing love Ben White now. Kid seems like such a nice guy. Hasn't ever played up the 'Leeds made me' tag.
Absolutely deserves all the success he is likely to get.

Totally agree. He really has been an absolute class act, on and off the field.

Since returning from Leeds, he could have quite easily kicked up a fuss, or made silly comments. But the kid has been a consummate professional. In fact, I love that he’s plated down the Leeds / Bielsa influence.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Happens EVERY tournament. Same old jokes.

Last time it was Linekar and Shearer sniggering about not knowing anything about the Albania squad.

Embarrassing.

Completely agree. And I think I’ve mentioned this here before.

But Shearer saying “obviously we don’t know much about Albania” just showcases his lack of research and knowledge as a pundit. Maybe you SHOULD know a bit about this Albania team Alan. You’re payed a £1m + salary.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Exactly, Ben only arrived on loan at Leeds a week or so before the start of the season after 7 years of Albion development - not only did he start their first game (after much Leeds bleating about who the f*** is Ben White and why are we signing Brighton’s unwanted players on loan/he’s not fit to lace Pontus Janssens boots etc) ) he got man of the match!
But no, it must be Bielsa’s incredible coaching that made White the player he is in 7 days!

Also, why were they bidding 30m for White last summer if they could just pluck another defender from their your team and have magician Bielsa turn him into an international class player in a few weeks?

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011

But Shearer saying “obviously we don’t know much about Albania” just showcases his lack of research and knowledge as a pundit. Maybe you SHOULD know a bit about this Albania team Alan. You’re payed a £1m + salary.

Exactly, WE (as the viewing public) "don't know much about Albania" which is why we have pundits who do their research so they should be able to tell us!.....

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

This has been mentioned many, many times on here, long before you were here. It infuriates most intelligent people because those pundits are stealing a living. Here is a whole thread on it from the 2010 World cup:

https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?177401-Forlan-amp-commentator-ignorance/page3

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
White stated at a presser the other day that his progression to England call up has been 10 years in the making, and not just 1 season at Leeds. The Leeds fans are NOT happy to have had their delusion shattered by the man himself - comments are LOL:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=823510258370990&id=128580461197310

It is quite remarkable that a bunch of fat, talentless oiks who watched Ben play in the second division for a year would think they know more about his development than he does himself.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Exactly, Ben only arrived on loan at Leeds a week or so before the start of the season after 7 years of Albion development - not only did he start their first game (after much Leeds bleating about who the f*** is Ben White and why are we signing Brighton’s unwanted players on loan/he’s not fit to lace Pontus Janssens boots etc) ) he got man of the match!
But no, it must be Bielsa’s incredible coaching that made White the player he is in 7 days!

I mentioned this fact to a Leeds fan on twitter. Apparently Bielsa is a fast worker, because Leeds smashed Championship favourites, Stoke, in a PRE SEASON FRIENDLY, just after he arrived.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
taking the blue and white glasses off, does anyone feel total confidence in a CB pairing of Stones and White. Just feels it lacks something for me.

Sounds like southgate going 3 at back though. White could be in and I guess no pairing is good with the players we have.

Don't particularly rate Maguire but would prefer to see him in there.

I'd be happier with Dunk.

Just think Stones and White would prob get away with it until come up against someone decent then could get the run around

Yes , Mings is another level and a disaster waiting to happen , I know

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
White's name got rather lost in the conversation regarding who can play what formation.
Then Mark Langdon gave the quote I posted and that was the end of that!
Langdon consistently talks the most sense/comes across as the most well-informed on the occasions I tune in to FW these days (usually when he's on!) so that doesn't surprise me one bit that he's championing White to start.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Langdon consistently talks the most sense/comes across as the most well-informed on the occasions I tune in to FW these days (usually when he's on!) so that doesn't surprise me one bit that he's championing White to start.
Not as much sense as his revelation of 'dipping butter' when eating crumpets. :lol:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
taking the blue and white glasses off, does anyone feel total confidence in a CB pairing of Stones and White. Just feels it lacks something for me.

Sounds like southgate going 3 at back though. White could be in and I guess no pairing is good with the players we have.

Just think Stones and White would prob get away with it until come up against someone decent then could get the run around

Yes, I think having an expert defender alongside a flair defender (in a back 2) is the way to go. Dunk or Mee are ideal foils for the likes of Stones or White. One of Dunks’ big advantages over other centre backs is his superb long passing, however, Coady can hit a long ball too. I’d have him and Stones as a pair from what we’ve got but I’d love to see White in a back 3 or a replacement for Stones when he starts dropping clangers of gets injured.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I was reassured to see White throwing himself to the goal line behind Johnson v Romania.
'now that looks familiar'. :lol;

He's clearly capable of some more 'rustic' defending as well as all the flairnecessities.

Looking at who's available it just has to be White and Stones + 1, I think they'll be ok.
Any other permutation and its a loud NO from me.

Unbelievably Southgate has made a right hash of the centre back positions.
I can't help thinking that'll be his downfall.
Fingers crossed BW is well clear of the fallout.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

Ben White as one of 2 centre backs potentially exposes him aerially depending on what sort of attack he's facing, and I think Southgate wouldn't pick him as a starter if we play 442. His strengths are ideal for a back 3 though.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
If we are talking about a back three I would look no further than White, Stones and Coady. Mings can get the bus home.

Yes, even with a fit Maguire, I’d go with that with Coady in the middle. I like Coady, he has a bit of Emlyn Hughes about him. Not averse to the odd mistake but he has a lot going for him. I was surprised when Liverpool allowed him to go as he epitomises the local Liverpool lad who makes it through the ranks.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Bowing to Brighton fan pressure Panini produce a late issue Euro 2020 Ben White England Sticker....

Ben WHITE ALEX .jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports