Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Arsenal’s Ben White

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
To be honest, I reckon £50m in the current climate would be pretty tempting. I recall a decent portion of our fans advocating we accepted Leeds's £25-30m offer last season, which would have been lunacy.

As mentioned though, I highly doubt anything will happen until after the Euros.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Waddle is unfortunately representative of the standard pundit these days. Knows a lot about the top three, a reasonable amount about the next three, cliched bits about the next 5 or 7 and then ignorance and chatter around the rest. There are more than a few.

Who are the exceptions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Danny Murphy.

A rarity in speaking about the Albion/Potter with real knowledge and interest.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Or Veltman

Would need a new central defender if White leaves though. March, Burn, Webster, Dunk, Veltman, Lamptey would mean six players covering five spots in the team (assuming the three CBs with wingbacks tactic continues). Thats no good and while Alzate, Moder, Gross and a few others are able to cover I think one or two new natural defenders (bought or promoted) would be necessary if White goes somewhere.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Would need a new central defender if White leaves though. March, Burn, Webster, Dunk, Veltman, Lamptey would mean six players covering five spots in the team (assuming the three CBs with wingbacks tactic continues). Thats no good and while Alzate, Moder, Gross and a few others are able to cover I think one or two new natural defenders (bought or promoted) would be necessary if White goes somewhere.

Agree backup needed and we can either source the market for another or bring in of the CBs the previous poster mentioned that we have out on loan. For me though we have seen countless times this season Veltman is more than good enough to start in the PL so would be a first choice replacement for White if leaves with backup added to cover.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
To be honest, I reckon £50m in the current climate would be pretty tempting. I recall a decent portion of our fans advocating we accepted Leeds's £25-30m offer last season, which would have been lunacy.

Well that’s what we want. If we sell him for an amount we’re happy with we can promote from within and keep the production line going!

I think if several big clubs are bidding, we’ll be able to get over £50m too.

And totally agree with your point about the Leeds bids. Some were falling over themselves here to sell at the first £25m offer which would have been appalling business. Not hindsight either, said it at the time.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Agree. Someone will come in. I would be surprised if we buy a Ben White replacement though.

I really like Ostigard from what I’ve seen and heard from Cov fans. Matt Clarke would be another contender. Then you have the likes of Dendoncker, Hayden Roberts and Van Hecke. Maybe even an u18 at the club we’re considering promoting.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Agree. Someone will come in. I would be surprised if we buy a Ben White replacement though.

I really like Ostigard from what I’ve seen and heard from Cov fans. Matt Clarke would be another contender. Then you have the likes of Dendoncker, Hayden Roberts and Van Hecke. Maybe even an u18 at the club we’re considering promoting.

And Shane Duffy. I dont think it can be ruled out that he might be difficult to sell and could stick around as the 6th CB option behind Dunk, Webster, White, Burn and Veltman. Not optimal for him and not optimal for the club but I wouldnt be shocked if it turns out that way.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004

I don’t recall any of our fans advocating the sale of White to Leeds last season.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
And Shane Duffy. I dont think it can be ruled out that he might be difficult to sell and could stick around as the 6th CB option behind Dunk, Webster, White, Burn and Veltman. Not optimal for him and not optimal for the club but I wouldnt be shocked if it turns out that way.

I suspect if we can’t get a buyer we will look to loan out Shane again.

Big decision to make if the likes of Burnley or West Ham come in.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
What a non-story.

Let's look at this logically.

1. It's highly unlikely that anything will happen while England are still in the Euros. BW might not play a single meaningful minute. He might get injured. He might even play badly.

2. TB isn't going to take the first offer that comes along, however 'concrete' a target White is for anyone. If White wants to go then TB will sit back and wait for a bidding war to start. Any bid from Arsenal will just be the first of many, and if none of them reach TB's valuation, I doubt if White will be going anywhere.

3. Now, it's very possible, perhaps even likely, that White will hear about the wages on offer from other clubs while on England duty. He'll also hear stories of big European games from City, Chelsea and even Manchester United players. Arsenal, however ... ?

4. The co-writer of the story, David Ornstein, said three weeks before Tottenham sacked Mourinho that he thought they weren't close to sacking him and that he would be given time. Well, three weeks counts as 'time', I suppose ...

Who do you think you are, coming on here with your so-called facts? ???

:lolol: :thumbsup:

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004

Duffy nor the club will want him to be 6th choice. He’s a big personality which is great when things are going well but equally can be destabilising to the team when they are not. He will want to be playing every week and the club will want some of his wages off the books if he’s not in the match day squad. He’s not a Potter-type player either so I expect he’ll be on loan in the championship next season.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Some CB’s are going out the door this summer that’s for sure.

Van Hecke and Ostigard both pushing for involvement in first team squad after their loans and have Clarke and Roberts returning as well as Duffy.

Not sure all will be happy with loans again so might be a time to integrate or sell.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I don’t recall any of our fans advocating the sale of White to Leeds last season.

I recall quite a few advocating exactly this as a means to raise funds for a striker. The thinking was that he had never played for us so it would be no loss. Can’t be bothered to look up old threads but it was definitely being said. Luckily our owner and manager disagreed.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

I recall quite a few advocating exactly this as a means to raise funds for a striker. The thinking was that he had never played for us so it would be no loss. Can’t be bothered to look up old threads but it was definitely being said. Luckily our owner and manager disagreed.

I remember arguing that there was a logic in selling him (as you note the funding of a striker) if that is what the club decided to do, but wasn't arguing we should sell him.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
If people haven't read the Tyrone Kings article in the Guardian, it's worth a read just to see how stupid he is

"Football is very soft these days – you cannot get away with much,” says the Aston Villa centre-half, although he did get away with this. Austria were breaking up the left and when Kalajdzic makes his run into the area Mings stands his ground before throwing his left arm into his opponent’s face, sending him to the ground.

Harry Maguire returns to training with England in Euro 2020 boost
VAR would surely have awarded a penalty and sent off Mings and there was plenty of fretting about what would have happened if the flashpoint had been at the Euros, which starts for England against Croatia on Sunday.

Mings did not fret. “I wasn’t lucky, no, because I knew there wasn’t VAR,” the 28-year-old says with a steely glare. “It wasn’t [a red card], was it? We can go back through many different occasions in my career and you could say: ‘If there was VAR in that game, I would have got sent off.’”

The old joke is that ‘if’ is the biggest word in football. If the referee had seen it, Mings admits, “maybe” he would have reached for the red card. “If there had have been VAR, absolutely, I would have given away a penalty,” he says.

It is unclear whether Mings was able to assess the sight lines of the referee and his assistant but the move felt highly risky. Mings does not see it that way. “As a defender, I have done that many times in my career – when a cross is about to come in, block the striker,” he says. “That is not against the rules. But that one there was probably too aggressive.”

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here