Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
We've apparently just turned down numerous bids and finally £5m for our main striker.
Imagine that pre 2011.

This in spades and not because of the old "remember Withdean and Gillingham" bollocks. We are NOT a selling club. We got a club record for Bridcutt who's hardly set Sunderland alight. We sold Barnes because he would have gone for nothing in the summer and we got money for El Abd who wanted regular first team football. However we've turned down numerous other bids for numerous other players. If Arsenal or Man U or Chelsea come calling there's probably nothing we can do except hold out for the best price but it's not like we're flogging the family silver. The players who have just left are freeing up budget for newcomers.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
At the moment, we only have Walton as Ankergren hasn't signed his offer yet.
That's immaterial.

The Ankergren position is that of permanent back up 'keeper.
I'd hazard a guess it's the most 'available' place in football.
All we need is any old chump who can catch and kick a ball.

Back up keeper at Crawley/Gillingham/Portsmouth/Charlton, or back up here on a little bit more money.
That's assuming they even have a contract.

The only reason Ankergren is in the squad is because you now 'need' 3 competent goalies, and that's only because you're now allowed 7 substitutes and 3 substitutions.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Can I just ask how so many people seem to be so knowledgeable as to exactly how good this kid is?

if Arsenal are seriously interested, that tells me all i need to know.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
if Arsenal are seriously interested, that tells me all i need to know.

I hear what you're saying, but the likes of Arsenal & Chelsea have hoovered up plenty of youngsters from smaller clubs over the last decade. Many have rarely been heard of again. Tom Taiwo & Michael Woods, anyone? John Bostock?

I suppose they were good. But not good enough.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I hear what you're saying, but the likes of Arsenal & Chelsea have hoovered up plenty of youngsters from smaller clubs over the last decade. Many have rarely been heard of again. Tom Taiwo & Michael Woods, anyone? John Bostock?

I suppose they were good. But not good enough.

Chelsea you have a point. Arsenal do tend to bring through youngsters.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
This is very irritating if true, I've been looking forward to seeing him play a part in our future.

I'm slowly learning that it is a waste of time looking forward, and it's a complete bad use of brain cells.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Chelsea you have a point. Arsenal do tend to bring through youngsters.
Based on what?

You can't mean

Walcott - £12m
The Oz - £15m
Ramsey - £5m
Even Jenkinson - £1m

In 10 years Arsenal's programme has developed Wiltshire and Gibbs.

Don't be conned by the hype, Arsenal have bought their development players, the same as everybody else, with the possible exception of Liverpool.
If you're spending £33m while broke, they'd better get some game time.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
This in spades and not because of the old "remember Withdean and Gillingham" bollocks. We are NOT a selling club. We got a club record for Bridcutt who's hardly set Sunderland alight. We sold Barnes because he would have gone for nothing in the summer and we got money for El Abd who wanted regular first team football. However we've turned down numerous other bids for numerous other players. If Arsenal or Man U or Chelsea come calling there's probably nothing we can do except hold out for the best price but it's not like we're flogging the family silver. The players who have just left are freeing up budget for newcomers.

Lawrenson in 81 for 900k made him the most expensive defender in the World, In relative terms 3 or 4x higher than Bridcutt

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Would not be poached but hard boiled.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
That's immaterial.

The Ankergren position is that of permanent back up 'keeper.
I'd hazard a guess it's the most 'available' place in football.
All we need is any old chump who can catch and kick a ball.

Back up keeper at Crawley/Gillingham/Portsmouth/Charlton, or back up here on a little bit more money.
That's assuming they even have a contract.

The only reason Ankergren is in the squad is because you now 'need' 3 competent goalies, and that's only because you're now allowed 7 substitutes and 3 substitutions.

That is a great disservice to Casper. I hope he signs because he is a competent keeper. We've had worse.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here