Arsenal 'poised' to sign Walton.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
Indeed.

Walton, March and Forster Caskey have both spent the last two weeks, enhancing their own reputations in England shirts. In the down-time between those matches they been mooching about their training camps / hotels with almost exclusively Premier League youngsters. In between playing Call of Duty and Fifa on Callum Chambers' Xbox, and looking at the dirty pictures on Nathan Redmond's phone, they'll have been listening excitedly to the details of what these kids are earning / what cars they drive, etc, etc.

What 18 /19 year old kid would NOT have their head turned?

As a 20 year old paying 9 grand a year to get an education, this does make me feel quite depressed.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
As the parent of two teenage sons, with their sights set on University education, I share your pain.

Chin up, that's why they often have several branches of McDonald's around university campuses.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Chin up, that's why they often have several branches of McDonald's around university campuses.

Added to which you don't "pay" for the education until you're earning, even then at a low level.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Thankfully the loan system works well, so it shouldn't affect you too much. Its the paying it back over the next 30 years that is the worst thought.

Well the loans which they will have to take out, will cover the FEES. I expect that they will want to sleep somewhere, and eat as well. The Bank of Mum and Dad will no doubt be expected to cover those bits...

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
Well the loans which they will have to take out, will cover the FEES. I expect that they will want to sleep somewhere, and eat as well. The Bank of Mum and Dad will no doubt be expected to cover those bits...

You can get 2 loans from the goverment. The £9,000 one which goes straight to the university for fees, then, depending on household income and other factors, around £4,000 a year which covers accommodation, food, books, night out.... My mum doesn't help me and I have managed so they should be able to get by.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
You can get 2 loans from the goverment. The £9,000 one which goes straight to the university for fees, then, depending on household income and other factors, around £4,000 a year which covers accommodation, food, books, night out.... My mum doesn't help me and I have managed so they should be able to get by.

Aha.

My lads will be slightly luckier, in that we will help out a bit. There a limit to what we can afford though, but it will go some way. Basically it will be up to them whether they want to apply for local unis, or head off further afield. If they go elsewhere we'll try to cover accomodation and food for them. If they stay at home then we will put that money towards their fees, so they don't have to borrow the full amount.

That's the plan anyway. A couple of years away yet.

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
Aha.

My lads will be slightly luckier, in that we will help out a bit. There a limit to what we can afford though, but it will go some way. Basically it will be up to them whether they want to apply for local unis, or head off further afield. If they go elsewhere we'll try to cover accomodation and food for them. If they stay at home then we will put that money towards their fees, so they don't have to borrow the full amount.

That's the plan anyway. A couple of years away yet.

This is no reflection on your parenting skills, and don't know what they are like as people, but I would your 2 leave home. I have mates who stay at home and really regret not living in halls with other students. It also helps making friends as you live with/next to people for a whole year and are all in the same boat of not knowing anyone.

Sorry if it sounds like a lecture but I am so glad I moved from home, simply because of the freedom I have now.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
This is no reflection on your parenting skills, and don't know what they are like as people, but I would your 2 leave home. I have mates who stay at home and really regret not living in halls with other students. It also helps making friends as you live with/next to people for a whole year and are all in the same boat of not knowing anyone.

Sorry if it sounds like a lecture but I am so glad I moved from home, simply because of the freedom I have now.

Agree entirely, personally. I went over 200 miles away (Liverpool). The financial realities are just that though - we'll not force them to move out and spend money / incur extra debt they don't need to. The choice will be theirs.

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
Agree entirely, personally. I went over 200 miles away (Liverpool). The financial realities are just that though - we'll not force them to move out and spend money / incur extra debt they don't need to. The choice will be theirs.

That's a bit further then me here in Reading. That's fair enough, I think the money spent is well worth it though. How old are they both?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
That's a bit further then me here in Reading. That's fair enough, I think the money spent is well worth it though. How old are they both?

The oldest is 16, and actively looking about. His brother is only 13 so no panic yet!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports