Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Arrogance and Entitlement

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I think that it also reflects badly that I am being accused of being on a 'fishing trip' or a 'wind up', simply because I have witnessed a lot of guff directed toward my club on two occasions and decided to call the people responsible for it out.

It isn't just about money or league. As mentioned, sincerely doubt Barnes is on more with us than he was with you and joined when promotion was a long way off. Ward won't be on much more than what he was offered here.

As a young player, would you look towards Burnley or Brighton as a better start to your career?

Austin, Rodriguez, Cork, Ings, Trippier, Mee, Vokes, McCann and more. All of them have seen their talent come on leaps and bounds and have broken into big clubs, England, or will soon have their big move. We'll thank them and send them on their way too.

Brighton? Who? Bridcutt has been the only player I've seen you take as a youth and really develop. The likes of Barnes and Buckley were developed by other teams and/or, the attitude towards them displayed by your own fans when they have left has been nothing short of a disgrace.

We all know Burnley, the town, has its problems. The surrounding area is absolutely wonderful though, and so I maintain that a matter of money and league is not the be all and end all.

Dare I suggest that we are simply a bigger club to reinforce my point? I'd hate to be accused of 'fishing'

Repeating the fact that you're missing the central point doesn't enhance your case.

You're confusing what you perceive is our attitude with the Burnley 'the club' with Burnley 'the town'.

The club does indeed have a fine history, including being founder members of the league - it's arrogant to think people don't know that - not that that is relevant here. But as for Burnley the town...

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I don't think anyone can argue that Burnley has a greater history than Brighton.

You are also in the PL, but that's where it ends. Barnes was offered more money and is on a year longer contract than Brighton were prepared to offer.

Ward must be on more money, as there is absolutely no reason to trade playing with sitting on the bench.

Sorry, but I've never particularly liked Burnley, and hope you go down.

little al

Crystal Palace fan
Apr 4, 2009
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Hi all.

I'm a Burnley fan, and I felt compelled to register and talk about Stephen Ward in light of some silly comments ive read over time on here.

I noticed that many posters on this forum have been very uncomplimentary towards Ward & even Barnes, for their decision to choose Burnley over Brighton. My question is why?

Brighton now have a lovely fresh stadium. It is admittedly impressive, but no more so than any of the other recently erected new build stadia that we've seen in recent years.

This stadium, and the chance to play at it, seems to be the main reason why posters here think the aforementioned players should have chosen Brighton over Burnley.

Unfortunately, I'm here to tell you that there are quite a number of reasons why a player would choose Burnley over Brighton.

Firstly, Burnley are a club that has woven strands into the fabric of English football. We are a founding member, multiple title winning team that has spent the majority of it's existence in the upper echelons of the Football League.

Brighton can boast none of this, and has spent most of its existence scratching around in the lower leagues.

In recent history, Burnley have shown ambition, have spent more time challenging at the right end of the championship, have shown a real aptitude for bringing through and developing talent and have tasted the success that Brighton aspire to. We play bright, attacking football too.

Whereas Brighton, the nouveau rich, have spent plenty of money and consistently failed at the final hurdle. It's often been pointed out how cynical, dour, and downright dirty some of the football has been also.

Finally, Burnley may not have a shiny new stadium, but what it does have in Turf Moor, is a stadium steeped in history, dignity and respect.

It reflects badly on many of you that you are unable to weigh up such reasons before concluding that the likes of Ward & Barnes are idiots for choosing Burnley over you.

Enjoy your season.
Spot on, expect a ban, they can't handle the truth on here.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Firstly, Burnley are a club that has woven strands into the fabric of English football. We are a founding member, multiple title winning team that has spent the majority of it's existence in the upper echelons of the Football League.

TWICE

55 and 93 years ago

Baaaald

3rd time lucky
Aug 7, 2011
Haywards Heath
Hi all.

I'm a Burnley fan, and I felt compelled to register and talk about Stephen Ward in light of some silly comments ive read over time on here.

I noticed that many posters on this forum have been very uncomplimentary towards Ward & even Barnes, for their decision to choose Burnley over Brighton. My question is why?

Brighton now have a lovely fresh stadium. It is admittedly impressive, but no more so than any of the other recently erected new build stadia that we've seen in recent years.

This stadium, and the chance to play at it, seems to be the main reason why posters here think the aforementioned players should have chosen Brighton over Burnley.

Unfortunately, I'm here to tell you that there are quite a number of reasons why a player would choose Burnley over Brighton.

Brighton can boast none of this, and has spent most of its existence scratching around in the lower leagues.

In recent history, Burnley have shown ambition, have spent more time challenging at the right end of the championship, have shown a real aptitude for bringing through and developing talent and have tasted the success that Brighton aspire to. We play bright, attacking football too.

Whereas Brighton, the nouveau rich, have spent plenty of money and consistently failed at the final hurdle. It's often been pointed out how cynical, dour, and downright dirty some of the football has been also.

Finally, Burnley may not have a shiny new stadium, but what it does have in Turf Moor, is a stadium steeped in history, dignity and respect.

It reflects badly on many of you that you are unable to weigh up such reasons before concluding that the likes of Ward & Barnes are idiots for choosing Burnley over you.

Enjoy your season.

You missed the real reason mate. You pay bigger wages. If you really think the modern day football looks at the history if a club you are on a another planet. It's about money not a stadium, history or even the premier league because ward and Barnes will spend most of the season on the bench.

D

Deleted member 22389

I agree Burnley does have a better history, but do you think the millions of plastic worldwide supporters sitting down in their armchairs following Chelsea, Arsenal, Man Utd know your history, they probably wouldn't even know where Burnley is.

As for Ward the only reason I can think he came to you instead of us was an improved offer, and premier league football on top of that. If the tables where turned and it was us in the Premier League he would have signed for us, you know just as well as me that is how it works.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
You missed the real reason mate. You pay bigger wages. If you really think the modern day football looks at the history if a club you are on a another planet. It's about money not a stadium, history or even the premier league because ward and Barnes will spend most of the season on the bench.

Barnes will not score a goal for them all season

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Really, or will he be 'torn apart' by the hyenical triumvirate of Hillian, Hans Kray, and Edna, before receiving an infraction and 'warned' never to say anything 'unsympathetic' about Brighton again?

Spot on, expect a ban, they can't handle the truth on here.

Can't wait to bump this lol

And this has what to do with either of you?

Is it a palace related thread? No

Are you waving your little chaps about? Yes

little al

Crystal Palace fan
Apr 4, 2009
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Sorry, you don't see the irony of moaning about Brighton's arrogance and spouting the most arrogant rubbish ever seen on this forum. Typical pathetic Palace response. You've just shown yourself up be to an idiot.

Arrogance on this site starts and ends with your own.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Amazing isn't it? You don't have to spend pots of money to be successful.

Barnes came to "the shithole" in January when promotion was far from certain. I sincerely doubt he is on much more, if at all, than he was with Brighton.

So clearly things like this are taken into account, which is why we have 2 of your better players from the last few seasons and you have none of ours.

Unlike Ward, most of us were happy to see Barnes move on and would have driven him to Burnley ourselves.

phazza

Aug 17, 2012
Hi all.

Enjoy your season.

you have your reasons all wrong. we are a bit mythed about ward. he was with us all last season, playing quite well and only giving us the impression he enjoyed it here. he has been strongly linked with us for a permanent move from the end of last season. he was due to for a medical and didn't turn up because burnley had come in for him. obviously this pissed us off, but from wards point of view you can't blame him for a chance to play in the top division.
burnley to me are a decent club with great tradition and a good manager. in terms of playing squad, i'm not sure why you think we have spent loads of cash! we payed a lot for mackell-smith but he is the only one we have payed a lot of money for.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
The modern day footballer sees nothing but money.

Burnley have signed Barnes and Ward because they could offer better contracts than we could.

The same applies to 'Judas' Murray, Bridcutt and Buckley, Bennett and Noone!

RaymondThe

Aug 16, 2014
I agree Burnley does have a better history, but do you think the millions of plastic worldwide supporters sitting down in their armchairs following Chelsea, Arsenal, Man Utd know your history, they probably wouldn't even know where Burnley is.

As for Ward the only reason I can think he came to you instead of us was an improved offer, and premier league football on top of that. If the tables where turned and it was us in the Premier League he would have signed for us, you know just as well as me that is how it works.

It's all relative though isn't it.

Even before our promotion, Manchester Utd >>>>> Burnley >>>>>> Brighton.

Like it or not, there is a pecking order in football, and it will always be that way.

I'll say it for the third time. Barnes isn't on more than what he was at Brighton. We were also only 3/5ths of the way through the season.

Why did he uproot himself then?

I think Brighton fans are underestimating the whole vibe. Leeds were in for Barnes too. They are bigger than either of us, the quality of life is far better, and they matched our wage offer. He would have been more of a shout for a starter too.

So what was the motivating factor?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here