Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Arming the rebels in Syria will be a disaster...

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I made the point about Cameron mainly because this was a decision taken at EU level which owed more to London than to Brussels. We are not always passive players in Europe, or "victims" of European decisions, as some people seem to think.

I don't disagree, though, that it's US domestic politics that trumps most other things relating to the Middle East. This carries huge dangers.

i really do not disagree with you.I just wish people would see the bigger picture.

we(uk) are involved per say in what goes on in Syria according to what goes on in the White House,that is a fact.we are second string to the fiddle

Currently Obama is in a power struggle,he is fighting for his political life,he has the republicans screaming for intervention and calling him a weak president re his policy on this and the Benghazi incident,he is screwed on the IRS scandal and taking a beating on privacy and the NSA, a good old war is always a vote winner when you are under pressure

hopefully cool minds will prevail and take a step back...........but i wont hold my breath

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Current EU policy on intervention in Syria seems to me to have been more or less entirely determined by the UK government and forced on the rest of the EU by Cameron.

Not that this gives me any confidence in it.

That's some feat for a PM supposedly irrelevant in the way the EU works............if its true, what's the point of the EU as a international policy maker?

You couldn't make it up.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Listening to Russia's responses sounds like they're ready to step up support for Assad. Russia is definitely trying to make itself known.

Arming the rebels will not be for the sake of democracy for Syria, but to undermine Russian influence. I could see this turning into a proxy war.

D

Deleted member 22389

Western governments have openly supported The Free Syrian Army which is known to consist mainly of Jihadists who commit extreme & violent atrocities against civilians that oppose their Islamic ideals.

There are many people who oppose Assad who want a democratic & secular state - but they won't be the ones fighting.

We just don't want this crap heading our way. Trust us to get involved again. What is it with us, do we have constantly show we have the biggest balls to the rest of world and copy everything the americans do. The Americans can soak this up, we can't.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
No, there's a faction that's recognised as pluralist. The problem is whether the guns will reach them or not.

Which one of the 1200 factions are you referring to? On the ground the FSA fight hand in glove with the ANF. ANF is formed from, with and by those from Al Qaeda in Iraq, those who shot, bombed and beheaded their way from 2003 to 2010. We will be arming those that want to kill us and create a caliphate. And thus I refer you to my previous statement.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
If Cameron back the US on this one, we're have a labour government next term. It really could be a lose - lose situation..

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Have to agree with the O/P and those against Western involvement... The U S A once armed the Mujahadeen (Sp?) in Afghanistan and look where that ended !

Hearing what the army chief had to say this week, let's just turn around to Obama and say "Sorry old chap, but we no longer have the forces to do this , you are on your own" .....Wouldn't that be better? U S involvement is bad enough but Why British????

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Western governments have openly supported The Free Syrian Army which is known to consist mainly of Jihadists who commit extreme & violent atrocities against civilians that oppose their Islamic ideals.

There are many people who oppose Assad who want a democratic & secular state - but they won't be the ones fighting.

Not only that there are over 1000 fighters there from all over the world..they have no gripe with Assad they just want to fight "something" after Assad it will be "the west" I cant beleive the west does not see this!!

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Like Syria, Libya & Egypt were secular states before the uprising. Egypt now has its first Islamic leader in modern history, and Libya is likely to follow. It is clear what the rebels are fighting for, and its not democracy - and our governments are responsible for their victories - let's not make the same mistake in Syria, which was only recently a fine secular nation.

As I have mentioned before I have been to Syria on holiday and it was a truly secular country and all the people I met were frendly and ready to share a beer....if the rebels win just watch the very large (10%) of the population either leave or get slaughtered....I feel very strongly about this and watch with horror as the goverments of the world treat it as a war game.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
We are aiding the Syrian rebels in all aspects from military training to indirect funding so we don't need to actually arm them the USA will do that. So we have all the bases covered in out involvement in prolonging firstly a bloody civil war and then the inevitable invasion of one sort or another. Maybe we'll content ourselves only with air raids but somehow I doubt it.

Dunk

Jul 27, 2011
Lewes
It is a tough one.

We are looking at a possible scenario where UK, EU and US troops are fighting alongside Israel and Al-Qaeda supporters, against Syrian, Iranian and Hezbollah troops supported by Russians and Chinese weaponry and troops. A lot of the key battlegrounds are built up areas and at least one group seems to have used Sarin. I think we should be very nervous about putting weapons or troops into that mix.

On the other hand, should we just let the regime there wipe out towns and villages en-masse?

I'm glad it is not my decision.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
least one group seems to have used Sarin.

Yeah course they have. Just like Iraq had WMDs. I just cant believe there is one person left in this country that believes any middle east war propaganda coming from western governments or media.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
Yeah course they have. Just like Iraq had WMDs. I just cant believe there is one person left in this country that believes any middle east war propaganda coming from western governments or media.

Are you saying that NO chemical weapons have been used by EITHER side?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
That said, I find it extremely unlikely Syria would risk actually using them - even as a last resort - as it would even likely lose the support of its allies if it did.

I think the most likely scenario is that rebels have discovered a small amount in one of their strongholds and used them.

you believe its more likely that rebels use the weapons on their own side than the governement in a losing position (which was the case a in places a couple of weeks ago) or a maverick local commander would use them? please, lets not be naive. not to exclude the first possibility, just i wouldnt consider it most likley. anything goes in civil wars, especially when theres ethnic/tribal divisions.

also iirc it was the French that first confirmed use of chemicals.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
Have to agree with the O/P and those against Western involvement... The U S A once armed the Mujahadeen (Sp?) in Afghanistan and look where that ended !

Hearing what the army chief had to say this week, let's just turn around to Obama and say "Sorry old chap, but we no longer have the forces to do this , you are on your own" .....Wouldn't that be better? U S involvement is bad enough but Why British????

We're still involved because we helped set up these countries. I'd happily leave them to it. We are better off with Assad in charge.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here