Votes: 38 17.0%
  • Not at all :(

Votes: 21 9.4%

• Total voters

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Knockeart was a massive signing. With Murray joining we have goals in our team. I can see us getting 80 goals this season maybe more. Still need another striker.

Even the best teams that go up and usually short of a couple of players. So that is about where we are. The other clubs are not making spectacular signings so I think we are in with a good chance.

I would like a left sided player so we can switch or attack.

Not in despair at all at the end of the season. I just wanted us to take it to the wire which meant doing well in our last seven home games. W5 D2 L 0. 6-0-1 would have got us up.

Whitley Bayster

Jul 4, 2011
Whitley Bay Tyne and Wear
Still difficult to stomach as we didn't get the rub of luck or refereeing decisions and the fact is was by such small margins. It'd be fair easier to get over if the team had messed it up through poor performances. They didn't and they were outstanding and deserved to get promoted. I think the two stats that stick in the throat are the only team since 1905 (or whatever the date was) to not get promoted having only lost 5 games and the only team in the history of the Championship to get 89 points and not go up automatically.

The saving grace is that the Championship is an exciting league and another similar season to what we've just had would be tremendous.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Even the best teams that go up and usually short of a couple of players. So that is about where we are. The other clubs are not making spectacular signings so I think we are in with a good chance.

I would like a left sided player so we can switch or attack.

Not in despair at all at the end of the season. I just wanted us to take it to the wire which meant doing well in our last seven home games. W5 D2 L 0. 6-0-1 would have got us up.

Could be that Brexit will affect the number and quality of players coming in from Europe and elsewhere. Obviously in Euro or dollar terms the pay won't be quite so attractive.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Nor me. Last season was like the best night out ever. But without a climax. So to speak.

I like this analogy. It's not far off Kingsley Amis' observation about getting drunk being the best thing in the world, but being drunk is unpleasant. The getting drunk bit kind of works for last season, the being drunk might be how Boro, Burnley and, especially, Hull experience this season. We can just carry on getting drunk ...

... speaking of which, can this thread morph into a Friday night drinking one?

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
This question was asked, by me I think, to a group I was out with last Friday night.

There was a mixed response.

I sort of think I am, and then "Ashes" by Embrace gets played and I feel a bit melancholy again. Alongside that, is the fear that it will be some time before we have a better chance, and it does feel as though the Championship is stronger than ever this season with much "going for it" happening.

Are you over it?

Was feeling better then the prem league fixtures came out and that was depressing, felt better then Burnley start sniffing round our players. The pessimist in me thinks we blew our big chance I just cant see us performing to that level again.... hope I am wrong.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Was feeling better then the prem league fixtures came out and that was depressing, felt better then Burnley start sniffing round our players. The pessimist in me thinks we blew our big chance I just cant see us performing to that level again.... hope I am wrong.

Keep the faith.
There will be more wins, less draws and more defeats. Unlike last season, we will start a little bit slowly. Pick up early Autumn and then just go from strength to strength. Can see us getting more than 90 points. Straight fight between us and Toon for top spot. Derby and Wednesday closest challenges.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
If the forwards are the only two players with any space, it will encourage the defender, who has the ball, to knock it long as there’s no other pass available.
Read more at http://www.fourfourtwo.com/performa...ition-play-long-ball-game#0Fx5Z62Sp3uEGTr3.99

I would like to have a defensive midfielder who can cover when Dunk takes the ball forward (instead of making the long pass). And of he has to make the long pass, I want a wide player on the touchline who is not marked.

This is more a Poyet system with Bridcutt as an inadequate cover and Buckley as the wide man.

The counter argument is that this is a waste to have an extra midfielder and it is better to make the long pass even though the player is mostly marked.

Still unless we allow Dunk to move forward with the ball, we are wasting his skills. If our second striker can lose his man or take the ball on the half turn or run into space.

Altogether much less rigid play. England were so rigid even Iceland had no problems.

Last edited:

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Still a bit hungover if i'm honest. Not as chomping at the bit for the season to start as usual, probably need slightly more recovery time to get over the disappointment. However, i think the players are well up for it thankfully, i'm sure we will get off to a flyer.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Keep the faith.
There will be more wins, less draws and more defeats. Unlike last season, we will start a little bit slowly. Pick up early Autumn and then just go from strength to strength. Can see us getting more than 90 points. Straight fight between us and Toon for top spot. Derby and Wednesday closest challenges.

I agree. So what do we do about it? Newcastle new players will take time to settle. Derby are good though. But I think they are not quick enough in midfield? We will soon know.

I think the answer is to play 4-4-1-1 against Derby and Newcastle. But who plays behind our front man?

Albion 2015-16.JPG

Last season says NOT Baldock ???

SeagullofMalaysia

Jan 29, 2016
Somewhere in north Malaysia
I agree. So what do we do about it? Newcastle new players will take time to settle. Derby are good though. But I think they are not quick enough in midfield? We will soon know.

I think the answer is to play 4-4-1-1 against Derby and Newcastle. But who plays behind our front man?

View attachment 76576

Last season says NOT Baldock ???

Play Murphy and Skalak on the wings and put Knocky as a support striker for Hemed

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here