• No, but getting there.

Votes: 38 17.0%
  • Not at all :(

Votes: 21 9.4%

• Total voters

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Didn't take me long to get over last season and I'm looking forward to next season.

However football (the PL, specifically, I guess) depresses me nowadays. Nothing to do with missing out on it last season, but more the huge amounts of money that are thrown around in that league – and consequently now more and more in the Championship. The whole thing is so much like an industry, rather than a sport. Talk of £20-30 MILLION pound players now seems normal and wages just seem to be crazy and showing no signs of coming down. Clubs are being run at a loss all over the place, prices are typically going up and the TV companies who have paid all the money to cover these games seem to think they can shift them around whenever and however they like.

While the media and a lot of the fans seem to be getting over-excited at the thought of these 'top, TOP' managers coming into the league to do battle, the whole thing leaves me a bit cold and wondering whether I want to be part of it if/when the Albion got there. Don't get me wrong, I want the team and the club to succeed, but I just have trouble trying to justify the whole new age of football that seems to be upon us.

I think it is the absurd amount of money being chucked about for mediocre players that I find most crazy. Fans expecting – no, DEMANDING – that squads are strengthened, just because. A classic case was yesterday when someone was talking about Sunderland and how they hadn't got any players in. In the next breath they were highlighting just HOW many players had arrived in January. The whole business is crazy, when I think about it.

I'm more than happy to go and watch the Albion, but the rest of football (including the national team) can, quite frankly do one as far as I'm concerned.

Granted this answer has deviated from the original question, but this thread seemed as good as any to waffle/vent.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
We gave it our best shot and maybe it was our best chance for years, but as a Brighton fan I have no sense of entitlement to top tier football, though one day I am sure it will come.

It does worry me how big the financial chasm has become this season between Championship and Premier League and how even rubbish Prem teams can afford to spend tens of millions and pay wages our players can only dream of.

But I'm looking forward to a season of watching a great Brighton team playing in a fantastic stadium and winning more games than they lose.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
I sort of think I am, and then "Ashes" by Embrace gets played and I feel a bit melancholy again. Alongside that, is the fear that it will be some time before we have a better chance, and it does feel as though the Championship is stronger than ever this season with much "going for it" happening.

Exactly this. I have played that video/song too many times for my own good.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Spanish Rod has scored 39 goals in the 2 seasons since he left us.

Great. He was SHIT when he was with us and as Easy 10 said I would rather use my own eyes than some stats.

Im sure those 39 goals are for the under 11s Spanish thirds and not against championship quality opposition where he was found wanting on plenty of times.

You bore me with your stats. How about using your own ****ing eyes and having your own opinion you tedious ****.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
No not yet still feels like an injustice after the players gave everything and played so well across the season. As others have said the margins were so narrow you cannot help but think about the injuries the odd goal we let in at the death of games and think what could have been. The money in the prem this year would also have been incredible for the club and helped put some money back in Tony's pocket.

I can only hope the players start the season with a determination not to leave anything to chance this time my concern is we will lose some of the key players who propelled us there last season rather than doing what we should which is building on the squad

Dirty Dave

Aug 28, 2006
Worthing
If we keep most, if not all the team together, I'd like to see the final speech in the dressing room or the team huddle before k/o at Derby. I would imagine it to be very motivational and the players would be proper pumped up for the season ahead

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Baaaald

3rd time lucky
Aug 7, 2011
Haywards Heath
I'm not. I've tried but I'm not there. Need another couple of weeks. Last season was such a huge opportunity and I'm not particularly optimistic for the season ahead,

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I 'm not and I don't think I ever will be. Too much emotion and drama.

European championship was a non-starter for me really did not want to engage.

Mixed emotion for this season - there is expectation but talk of Hemed, Stephens and/or Kayal going is worrying.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Almost over it emotionally, but if we don't get promoted next (this) season then I fear that because of the Sky deal we'll never do it. Clubs will come down from the Prem with so much money it'll make the current parachute payments look like loose change.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I've got to be honest I'm not - had England done well in the summer it may have cheered me up but having not read many posts on this thread, my problem is I struggle to imagine a BETTER season than last year and yet we somehow didn't get promoted. I still find it hard to accept and it's making it difficult for me to get up for the coming season.

And yes, maybe I should just get over it.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
The championship is an enjoyable league, so I was not devastated when we just missed out on promotion. There is an element of liking being a big fish in a small pond rather than a small fish in a bigger pond, if we had got promoted.

The journey is sometimes more enjoyable than the final destination, but I would like us to go up next year for the financial reasons, and maybe it wont be just a case of trying to avoid relegation every season.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Yes i am now, Had two wonderful weeks in Turkey followed by the Brexit result. I'm raring to go.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
I've got to be honest I'm not - had England done well in the summer it may have cheered me up but having not read many posts on this thread, my problem is I struggle to imagine a BETTER season than last year and yet we somehow didn't get promoted. I still find it hard to accept and it's making it difficult for me to get up for the coming season.

And yes, maybe I should just get over it.
It's a tougher league.. we could be a weaker squad if the parasites take their cut of our players.....I don't think there is the will to sustain an 80 plus point challenge again.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Only five League defeats, but three of them at home.

In the second half of the season, Amex was getting near a fortress though: a good sign.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Only five League defeats, but three of them at home.

In the second half of the season, Amex was getting near a fortress though: a good sign.

Knockeart was a massive signing. With Murray joining we have goals in our team. I can see us getting 80 goals this season maybe more. Still need another striker.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here