Are you offended by the gay taunts from opposing fans

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are you bothered by the gay taunts

• Total voters

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It's odd you don't get any of this crap between Rugby supporters. I find it a sad statement on society that over 80% think it is acceptable behaviour. If you slagged off a black person for the colour of their skin or made any anti Islam references you would be down the old bill in 5 minutes. Basically it is using being gay as an insult which is in itself bigotted and an affront on the minority 10% who are. The whole issue is a waste of time as nothing will ever be done and BHAFC are the worst culprits as bar a few soundbites by Barber in the match programme, nothing is ever done by the stewards, old bill or anyone involved in the club so you can hardly expect any other club to give a rat's arse when we set such a bad example.

Very true. Sadly, for now at least, you are right.

One day though this will all be consigned to history.

ChilternGull

Nov 3, 2011
Village near Oxford
If I was black or gay (I am not either) and had to listen to repetitive chanting aimed at me and others in my minority group I would be offended. At West Ham last the season the chanting went well beyond the usual hand holding nonsense into language that was truly abusive and chanted without a break throughout the game. I heard the same foul words used by Leeds and Millwall supporters in the train queue at Falmer where children and women could hear. It made the atmosphere quite intimidating. Football should be enjoyed by both sexes and people of all ages. It is not the preserve of the macho young who think they can get away in a crowd with the sort of language that would get them arrested anywhere else. Despite all the difficulties and challenges racial chanting has been removed from football in this country and let's hope homophobic chanting is next. At the end of the day we are all in minority groups and we have a collective responsibility to defend those unable to defend themselves unless one day it is our turn to be victims.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Very true. Sadly, for now at least, you are right.

One day though this will all be consigned to history.

I think that the police/stewards should do something about it as soon as it goes beyond a bit of light hearted banter. I sat in with Forest fans on Saturday. There were two blokes behind me of about 25-30 with a group of young kids with them. EVERY time they went off on one about Brighton, it was equally Brighton and "Gays" they spouted their vitriol about. E.g. you.. no - better not! But suffice to say every insult contained reference to Brighton, homosexuality and a number of expletives. We were right next to stewards and police, and the sum total of their intervention was to remind them that the pitch was in front of us (not where they were looking at the our fans) and to tell them once to sit down.

What chance have the kids got - they should have been taken straight over to Social Services before they end up like their dads.

I will confess not to have said a word, other than giving them a few disgusted looks, but I am sure the OB would not have liked to have found an away fan where I was.

Jan 30, 2008
It's been going on for years, who gives a toss. Why are people getting so worked up about it now, if people are genuinely upset by a bit of football banter then get a life or find another sport, and join the "Ban everything brigade"
i don't give a toss but then you'd probably know that :smile:
regards
DR

D

Deleted member 2719

Anyone that get's upset by these chants surely need to man up.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You don't say! They do, however, use such insults (& those relating to pedophilia) to upset & provoke. Is it "just football insult" that should be ignored when opposing 'fans' take it upon themselves to use examples of such language on an Albion-supporting pair of guys, women, or a parent & child before or after a game? No, of course it isn't.

It doesn't matter what the sexuality is of the poor sod on the receiving end is, the real issue is that some cretins still think it acceptable to use such language towards others in a public place.

Hyper sensitive.

Brighton fans singing Northern *******s, Pikeys, You burnt your town down, anti Welsh stuff, and if language is your problem .... W**ker/s aimed at refs, stewards, opposing managers and players .... Is that acceptable?

Not too bothered myself, as it is standard football stadium language.

Amex, Anfield, WHL and Selhurst, have some way to go until they are sanitised into a version of The All England Tennis Club. I don't think it will happen.

Best not to attend if you so sensitive, or have selective sensitivity about songs designed to wind up Albion fans.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Hyper sensitive.

Brighton fans singing Northern *******s, Pikeys, You burnt your town down, anti Welsh stuff, and if language is your problem .... W**ker/s aimed at refs, stewards, opposing managers and players .... Is that acceptable?

Amex, Anfield, WHL and Selhurst, have some way to go until they are sanitised into a version of The All England Tennis Club. I don't think it will happen.

Best not to attend if you so sensitive, or have selective sensitivity about songs designed to wind up Albion fans.

Fair enough, let's stop taking women & children to matches or calling ourselves a community club. Maybe we should abandon the family stand. We've all got to man up. Then we can complain when the crowds drop back to 13K and we're losing money.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Anyone that get's upset by these chants surely need to man up.

I personally think the mark of a real man is a man who stands up to fight against bigotry but hey, ho.

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
I think it's funny watching the opponents' fans looking so pleased with themselves for their 'originality' while singing "we can see you holding hands!"

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann

Yeah, let's be horrible *******s to everybody then. You're not speaking for me or most Brighton fans, I shouldn't think.

Man up!

D

Deleted member 2719

I personally think the mark of a real man is a man who stands up to fight against bigotry but hey, ho.

If your proud to be Gay wh.

We all need a bit of banter whether it is aimed at the French, Scottish,Welsh, Irish,gays or heterosexuals, let's enjoy the fun before we die.

Stumpy Tim

What amazes me when speaking to away fans who are mates is that almost all of them say that they heard the funniest chant when playing Brighton - "Does your boyfriend know you're here". They're always surprised when I say we get that every singe week who ever we play... they always think they "invented" that song.

I find it boring & tiresome in the ground, but highly offensive when it's outside and just a handful of people.

RickofBHAFC

Jul 27, 2004
Couldn't give a damn and I imagine it doesn't offend gay people either. Saying that don't think I know any gay Brighton fans.

This. All part of the banter at football. We all know we're going to get it with Brighton being the supposed 'gay capital' of the UK. As this poster says I don't know any gay fans who watch Brighton although I am sure there probably are.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Hyper sensitive.

Yay, old Big 'Ead gives his valuable opinion once more! Actually, it doesn't surprise me in the least that you come back with the type of patronising dirge that you eventually posted as a reply. Did it take you all afternoon to come up with that crap? Your Bank Holiday was evidently well spent then. :facepalm:

Funnily enough, I've always thought that you come across as a know-all on here, but lately you seem to be on a mission to be undisputed Don of the small - but perfectly formed - NSC know-all contingent. Unfortunately, you really don't have a clue about much at all - but I'm sure that small ommission isn't likely to cause you to deviate from your oh-so-righteous path.

Sadly, I won't be in any position to benefit from your hightened state of big headedness. You see you're the first person in a very long time that I'm going to have to stick on my Ignore List. If I don't, I'm likely to face a hefty ban: so I guess that oft' criticised facility has it's uses. Not that you'd be offended by me calling you a bunch of derogatory words, mind. It's all just a bit of harmless banter at the end of the day isn't it? Unfortunately those dim-witted, hypersensitive paymasters of NSC aren't quite so enlightened. Ain't life a bitch sometime? Toodles. :wave:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports