Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are you offended by the gay taunts from opposing fans

Are you bothered by the gay taunts

• Total voters

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I like the point about it being totally unacceptable outside a stadium. Should have added that to the poll with an option for more than one vote.

The only problem with it being acceptable inside a stadium is that the narrow minded, living in the dark ages neanderthals think it is OK outside a stadium long after they've got home. I voted other because I'm not outraged by it but for society in general it needs stamping out.

Sadly, the knuckle draggers have not been taught how to recognize the boundaries the rest of us try to stay within. Look at how many at Forest were using homophobic chanting. It would be nice if these people caught up with the rest of society.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I like the point about it being totally unacceptable outside a stadium. Should have added that to the poll with an option for more than one vote.

Especially when it's aimed at kids. This is one of the reasons why it needs to be highlighted as unacceptable.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Good point, well made mate. But does it bother you? Can't say I give a shit.
Not really unless directed at me mate. I get bored of the same regurgitated rubbish that i hardly find it funny anymore. . I don't personally join in singing gay stuff back to away fans but each to there own.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
I voted "yes" while I dosen't offend me of course it should be stamped out.

In general it is just football banter, however the none stop chanting of Bristol fans of "We drink cider, you suck cock" really is just offensive. It would be intersting to know how the police and stewards are instructed to deal with this sort of thing as outside a football ground it would not be tolerated.

Why does it seem acceptable at football matches.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
i am not offended by the gay chants inside the stadium.

i saw that documentary recently where Matt Lucas thought the holding hands chant was funny,i would not go that far,its rather dull after hearing it for 30 years to be honest.......but offensive no.

i understand the difference between people chanting we can see you holding hands inside the stadium and a bunch of vile frothing knuckle draggers shouting gay taunts in your face outside the ground,the latter is a matter for the police.

if Brighton supporters are complaining to the authorities because some people are singing we can see you holding hands i would think that is a very sad state of affairs and probably belittles those that have struggled for years to raise awareness of genuine homophobia.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
if Brighton supporters are complaining to the authorities because some people are singing we can see you holding hands i would think that is a very sad state of affairs and probably belittles those that have struggled for years to raise awareness of genuine homophobia.

They're not. Whenever this debate gets brought up, the mild chant of 'we can see you holding hands' gets used as an example.
Nobody is saying that is offensive, but some of the experiences Brighton fans have had outside of the stadia are very upsetting, intimidating and vile.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
They're not. Whenever this debate gets brought up, the mild chant of 'we can see you holding hands' gets used as an example.
Nobody is saying that is offensive, but some of the experiences Brighton fans have had outside of the stadia are very upsetting, intimidating and vile.

Exactly

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
Nope, winding up opposing fans is what. supporting is all about.

"does your girlfriend know you're here?" would be pointless

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Can't see how it is any different to us calling Palace pikeys to be honest. Brighton is well known for having a large gay community. Parts of Croydon is a shit hole full of chavs.

I don't know any gay Brighton fans (nor do I know any chavvy Palace fans) so why should I be offended by it?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
It's odd you don't get any of this crap between Rugby supporters. I find it a sad statement on society that over 80% think it is acceptable behaviour. If you slagged off a black person for the colour of their skin or made any anti Islam references you would be down the old bill in 5 minutes. Basically it is using being gay as an insult which is in itself bigotted and an affront on the minority 10% who are. The whole issue is a waste of time as nothing will ever be done and BHAFC are the worst culprits as bar a few soundbites by Barber in the match programme, nothing is ever done by the stewards, old bill or anyone involved in the club so you can hardly expect any other club to give a rat's arse when we set such a bad example.

Ulloa

Banned
Feb 3, 2013
I find it very offensive and am amazed that the police only tell the culprits off. If it was Racist then you'd be arrested and banned. Can't have one rule for one.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Can't see how it is any different to us calling Palace pikeys to be honest. Brighton is well known for having a large gay community. Parts of Croydon is a shit hole full of chavs.

I don't know any gay Brighton fans (nor do I know any chavvy Palace fans) so why should I be offended by it?

I hope you gay scum die of aids is a hate crime, or supposedly so. Yet you hear it every game in and outside of our ground and away grounds. Is this acceptable ? Not for me.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I voted not bothered but then I'm not gay. If it is just a bit of chanting and then the brighton fans respond with 'you're too ugly to be gay' However, when it becomes a bit venomous then that's when it's out of order. Having said that, I don't like any racist chanting whatsoever but generally that is never said in banter anyway.

Ulloa

Banned
Feb 3, 2013
I hope you gay scum die of aids is a hate crime, or supposedly so. Yet you hear it every game in and outside of our ground and away grounds. Is this acceptable ? Not for me.

Thankfully I haven't heard such vulgar as if I do then I'd be arrested and banned for a long time.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

I've never heard anyone say that to me or anyone around me.

If its so frequent as you say why aren't more people being arrested for it?

Personally I think too many people are desperate to be offended on other peoples behalf.

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
Doesn't bother me in the slightest. A number of our fans regularly (especially away) sing derogatory songs to opposing fans so I've only ever seen it as them giving it back to us really.

Having said that I'm not gay and feel that if it offends our gay supporters then it is a problem (I genuinely don't know if our gay fans would find it offensive)

Is singing sheepshaggers to Bristol/Cardiff, for example, less insulting than them singing does your boyfriend know you're here? I don't think it is but as I say I am not gay and also don't shag sheep (honest!) so to me it is just football banter.

100% this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here