Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are you offended by the gay taunts from opposing fans

Are you bothered by the gay taunts

• Total voters

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I voted other but I would have voted for all of the first three if I had been able to.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
On Saturday, a Forest fan was doing the usual over the top abuse followed by him pulling his strides down in full view of the Police. This, is the problem. The authorities stand there doing nothing and that is along side a potential charge of indecent exposure maybe(not sure about the law on that one).

The chanting of the usual songs is just banter however, the trouble with that is that it then gets into the minds of the Ape like morons that then feel it is acceptable to take that one step further, which then in turn can turn into physical abuse outside the ground.

Most of the people chanting the usual songs, I am sure, sing it with a brush of tongue in cheek but it can have a knock on effect.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Not personally offended but the authorities should back up their words with action against the worst offenders. Supporters from other clubs making them should grow up, or, in the case of those (like some from Millwall) with a seeming obsession with certain sexual acts, shoud just give in to the tide, as Uncle Monty advises.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
On Saturday, a Forest fan was doing the usual over the top abuse followed by him pulling his strides down in full view of the Police. This, is the problem. The authorities stand there doing nothing and that is along side a potential charge of indecent exposure maybe(not sure about the law on that one).

The chanting of the usual songs is just banter however, the trouble with that is that it then gets into the minds of the Ape like morons that then feel it is acceptable to take that one step further, which then in turn can turn into physical abuse outside the ground.

Most of the people chanting the usual songs, I am sure, sing it with a brush of tongue in cheek but it can have a knock on effect.

This. Its no different to dirty northern *******s or sign on sign on or sheep shaggers BUT some fans do take it too far and last season when west ham fans by the station were saying "hope you die of aids you ****ing *****" well...

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I got sick and tired of people saying to me while I was in Wales "oh yes that where all the gays are in Brighton" and had to point out to some that Brighton was a cosmopolitan city that had its fair share of gay people some of which went there to get away from the locals taunting them about their sexuality.
Its not only Wales mind you and from some of the chants on the terraces its just about everywhere.
some things that I have had to say to those who fancy a go at winding me up while living away from Brighton.
its not catching
you are born that way
you have them here too you know
its not "that way" its homosexual thats the word you are struggling to find

while living in Wales one guy who lived up the road from us hung himself he apparently was "like that,funny,was quiet,never got married and all the other things apart from saying he was gay or homosexual.
I found out from his brother who was the only one at his funeral, if I had known the situation I would have gone.
passing his house some time later the words "puf " had been scrawled on the door.

thats why I voted for its got to stop.
just think how poor old Justin Fashanu felt he was gay and black and in my eyes it did not make him any less of a man

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I like the point about it being totally unacceptable outside a stadium. Should have added that to the poll with an option for more than one vote.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
It doesn't offend me, but it does need stamping out. It can be funny when we can chant stuff back to them like "1-0 to the nancy boys" or "we're gay and we're beating you".

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
It's part of being a Brighton fan.

Personally I think it would be very funny if, at the first sign of homophobic chanting, we all held hands high in the air and chanted back

"Can you see us holding hands".

It could become our equivilent of the Poznan!

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
voted not bothered, like the racist thing, don't think you will ever kick it out of football.
Although I do think it is wrong, nothing we say will ever change the way football or sport in a whole look at it.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
There's a film on channel 4 tonight that looks good. Beauty, it's called. A south african film about a chap who unquestionably loathes every living inch (fnar) of a "******". But, he meets quite regularly with another bunch of middle-aged afrikaans men like himself, to have some gay loving. It's supposed to examine the way of thinking that manages to make one hate with all their heart, whilst not realising in the slightest what they are. Sounds quite tragically funny in ways.
This isn't to say that we're all secretly gay. But maybe it's to say in some ways how absolutely none of us are offended. Or can't bare to be seen to be.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
With the vast majority of Albion fans being heterosexual, even these knuckle draggers from Cardiff and Millwall etc have the intelligence to know that, so I take it as just a chant to try to wind-up and insult all Brighton fans.

In my opinion, it does not mean those same knuckle draggers are out to harm gays outside the ground or anywhere else.

Can't see how the mass singing can be stopped.

Real homophobia in society should be. This is just a football insult.

You don't say! They do, however, use such insults (& those relating to pedophilia) to upset & provoke. Is it "just football insult" that should be ignored when opposing 'fans' take it upon themselves to use examples of such language on an Albion-supporting pair of guys, women, or a parent & child before or after a game? No, of course it isn't.

It doesn't matter what the sexuality is of the poor sod on the receiving end is, the real issue is that some cretins still think it acceptable to use such language towards others in a public place.

forrest

Aug 11, 2010
haywards heath
Voted other. As it dosent bother me personally and you know thats what you expect to hear from the opposition fans. However dosen't make it right as it is homophobic and in the eyes of the law makes it wrong.

What i do find totally unacceptable is the OTT abuse you get when Millwall visit. Especially when its being screamed at little kids at Falmer station. Especially as the OB stand there and do **** all.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Hard to get worked up about it. Goes with the turf of living in Brighton. Would rather live here than anywhere else. No worse IMHO than 'you find a dead dog and you think its a treat' or 'does the social know you're here?'. It's all part of football's rich pantomime where everybody's reduced to a stereotype and nobody takes offence. Unlike racism, which pretty f ucking evil and a different matter altogether.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Voted other. As it dosent bother me personally and you know thats what you expect to hear from the opposition fans. However dosen't make it right as it is homophobic and in the eyes of the law makes it wrong.

What i do find totally unacceptable is the OTT abuse you get when Millwall visit. Especially when its being screamed at little kids at Falmer station. Especially as the OB stand there and do **** all.

Exactly. And that's why it'll keep happening.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Hard to get worked up about it. Goes with the turf of living in Brighton. Would rather live here than anywhere else. No worse IMHO than 'you find a dead dog and you think its a treat' or 'does the social know you're here?'. It's all part of football's rich pantomime where everybody's reduced to a stereotype and nobody takes offence. Unlike racism, which pretty f ucking evil and a different matter altogether.

Not just living in Brighton. You get the homo rubbish just for supporting the club.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
As part of a football crowd its water off a ducks back, but I guess I'd react differently if someone got in my face with it. What was the question again?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Voted other too and the rest of the post seems to sum up my personal feelings

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here