Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are you angry that we didn't go up?

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Very relieved that we did not get promoted as if we had it could well result in throwing away all we have achieved in recent years, a Sunday paper drew attention to the number of clubs who are now in a poor financial situation after relegation from the top tier and also gave details of their current average gates,there is now more money for the top sides but this soon goes on huge signing on fees and wages, it will be interesting watching Palace suffering next season.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I

And to think some people want to get Nigel Clough in instead! Words fail me.

When you can manage to speak again, maybe you could come up with your realistic suggestion to replace Gus, who whether you approve or not is almost certainly out of here.

Not sure that reliving what he has done for us is gonna help when he's gone, so I'll be interested to know who you suggest we replace him with seeing as Clough is so below your expectations.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
seeing as Clough is so below your expectations.

He is a mediocre Championship manager, who has achieved very little at Derby. Why would we want him? Do you realistically think he could take us to the Premier League?

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Mightily relieved that I didn't have to find the money to be fleesed at Wembly

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Yes. With the squad we had we should have been automatic. More positivity would have seen us go up. Therefore i am angry.

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
Not really angry more dissappointed. I have always preferred to support a team that is always in the top 6 rather than a team that gets promoted only to struggle and be relegated. On the BBC website a quote from Twitter said the 3 teams promoted are possibly the weakest ever and will not enhance the Premiership at all, not a good advert for the Championship.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He is a mediocre Championship manager, who has achieved very little at Derby. Why would we want him? Do you realistically think he could take us to the Premier League?

Given the budget Gus had I think he has as good a chance of any of the realistic names I've heard mentioned. You still haven't told me who you'd want who could take us up. Do that and I could have a meaningful discussion about it. Clough has Derby playing reasonable football on what I gather is a shoestring budget for the Championship. Who do you think could potentially do a better job?

Personally if Gus could make peace with the board and rein in his ego and silly touting to the media I'd rather he stayed but can't see it happening.

SingitLoud

Dec 4, 2012
Hove
In a nutshell!!!

Nope, more disappointed that our manager came up short and doesn't feel inspired to give it another go with us next season. The manner of our defeat and Poyet's public reaction to it, given the backing he had from TB and the fans is what grates the most.

Yes , to build up what we had , and to just throw it away is unforgiveable. If you offer someone a lift to a destination and drop them off 10 miles away it ain't no f---in good!!!
Tactics were crap! Wool over our eyes! Why wasn;t Lua Lua not played more? Forget about Super Wilf! We had a player equally as good!! Also fans behaviour was impeccable against our rivals. Whoever did the turd knows who they are !! Remember all this when we are told to sit down and shut up next season!!

SingitLoud

Dec 4, 2012
Hove
I find these comments totally bizarre. What was "going on behind the scenes undermining the promotion push"? Please do explain. Wasn't exactly evident in say, the 6-1 demolition of Blackpool was it, or indeed any of the matches in the run-up to the play-offs when we were superb, or the hard fought draw at Selhurst.

Poyet's comments that unless more money was invested into the playing side of the club we couldn't expect to progress further were not at all unreasonable, IMHO.

The slating Gus is getting on here from some quarters, when no-one actually knows what has been going on, is completely out of order.

Our best manager since Mullery, who has attracted some truly AMAZING players to the club, playing the best football probably ever seen by an Albion side, and taken us within a deflected shot onto the crossbar of the play-off final. And all people can do now is slag him off - even when no-one has any idea what the circumstances behind his suspension might be.

And to think some people want to get Nigel Clough in instead! Words fail me.

He didn;t finish the job !!!! Simple as that!!!!

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
The Meade and ladyMeade are in Sicily at present and the main part of my diatribe as a crepe and a half of cheesy delight and two thirds of a bottle of local white wine went down me was of just a sadness. I said to the other half about the Gusbus and of me still being on it as I liked it a lot and it drove me toward a little oasis of hopefulness I'd not really had any idea of the location of before. Now, whilst on the bus, I have no idea if the driver of the broken down vehicle is coming back, no matter how much I press the thick button and ding into the dark night sky. I'm hungry and cold and I'm nibbling on the forearm of the old experienced chap next to me who had little time for panic and in fact probably perished a night or two ago and I haven't got the nous to slice a coldening man with my season ticket and listen to his corpse chunks AKA my late lunch sizzle on the bus' during daytime. I don't feel any anger at all of 4th and little of any of a chap plopping unceremoniously in a dressing room. I just feel sad that a journey I rejoiced in weekly glancing a euphoric eye had been likely brought to a close. It feels terrible and Palace have nothing to do with it. We were mostly all in from the start of something special and we can't go back to the pre-Amex days and have it all again. Now, we're somewhere already and some bod will come in to make us bigger. But not from the point of nothingness to an item to be envious of. It's all different. Good different in many ways, horribly sadly different until a new chap arrives and tries to effectively make us supergood different again. I'm still on the bus and I hope a well trained maverick mounts and repumps the tyres and takes the brown bananas from the exhaust pipe so we're on a journey at least somewhere again.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Not at all that we didn't go up ,just that we lost to rat shit vermin !!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Yes , to build up what we had , and to just throw it away is unforgiveable. If you offer someone a lift to a destination and drop them off 10 miles away it ain't no f---in good!!!
Tactics were crap! Wool over our eyes! Why wasn;t Lua Lua not played more? Forget about Super Wilf! We had a player equally as good!!

FWIW, I agree about LuaLua and that Poyet probably got it tactically wrong on the night (although was it really that bad? I honestly think we would have won if Barnes's shot had gone in, we were hardly 'owned').

Whatever, I still don't think one match can take away from three-and-a-half years of good work. Certainly not the first manager to get it wrong on the day - I wonder how Watford feel about Zola, given their far more abject performance against Palace?

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I was a bit hacked off at the end of the home game both with the performance and Poyet's negative approach and that was further compounded by his post match comments, But as far as being angry we didn't go up then no I'm not. As much as you want to win the play off's once your in it deep down I always felt it was a bit too early for us to go up just yet, If there's one thing Gus got right it was when he said something along the lines of " when you go up you've got to be equipped to stay up " and at the moment I don't think we are. Not just with the squad of players but we're still a year away from having the new training ground ready.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Not angry, dissapointed more than anything with the way the season ended (Palarse games, poogate, Gus' & co's suspension) and frankly dismayed at the apparent breakdown in what I'd thought was an fantastic "all moving forward as one" relationship between the club and Gus' team. I'm still kind of in shock and just want it all to go back to how it was to be honest.......

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
more gutted than angry......the performance at The Amex was well below expectctations and all the bollox that is still not sorted out is worrying for any true supporter..........

hope it's all sorted soon so we can look ahead to next season.......

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Very relieved that we did not get promoted as if we had it could well result in throwing away all we have achieved in recent years, a Sunday paper drew attention to the number of clubs who are now in a poor financial situation after relegation from the top tier and also gave details of their current average gates,there is now more money for the top sides but this soon goes on huge signing on fees and wages, it will be interesting watching Palace suffering next season.
I don't think promotion automatically equals financial ruin, far from it. Yes there have been clubs who have willfully or stupidly got massively into debt either chasing the dream or simply trying to stay in the top flight (and it will be interesting to see how QPR fare next season), but there are others (West Brom notably) who accepted that relegation is always possible and planned accordingly. They were able to bounce back stronger and are now an established Premier team. (Their problem will come when, like Stoke, the fans and board think they should now be doing even better - but that's another story).

Because we're not owned by an egomaniac or someone out to make a quick buck I believe we'd be far more West Brom than say Blackburn. We'd have accepted that promotion may have come too soon, but you never look a gift horse in the mouth. Just take the money and accept that the possibly inevitable relegation would still mean that we'd be starting the season after next with shedloads more money than we would otherwise have had - and parachute payments to boot.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
I back the newspapers opinion of any of the top sides in the Championship staying up, if promoted,sure there are more rewards but look at the crazy sums being asked these days which we would have to pay to even give us a small chance of staying up.
Long term supporters will tell you of our decline when relegated from the then Div 1,which almost led to us dropping out of the league,we have a good chance of staying in the top half of the Championship watching a team playing attractive football and the club in a stable condition,Bloom is a gamberler but hopefully not one to risk all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here