Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Are we still worrying about WBA, Sheff Utd and Fulham's results?

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
If we can hit 30 points by the end of February then I'll be confident we'll stay up but in this league it wouldn't be out of the question for us to go 10 plus games without a win and one of the bottom 3 are likely to go on some sort of run. The Burnley game worries me in the short term, exactly the sort of game we lose.

I'm with you on that. If we can get to 30 or more by monthend then I'd be confident that we could scrape together another six or seven to make us safe.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I see we are somehow above Newcastle with their £60 million of strike power.

How did that happen?

Because we are the better team. I have repeatedly said...

Too 10 Defence, Top 10 Midfield, Bottom 3 strike force.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

These things take time, frustrating as it has been, the future looks bright. We have had a decent defence since we got promoted, the midfield has only become good, at this level, over the last few months. I have railed against our lack of real quality up front for a long time too, but we are getting better and better, it seems. Trust in TB to know exactly what we need and to get it eventually, I am happy to be patient and in fairness if Maupay, Trossard and Connolly keep improving we only need a big target man and we are there :thumbsup:

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

Also good to see others chipping in goals. Alzate, Biss, Solly etc... Inc Tross.

All the best teams have goals throughout the squad, not just the front 1 or 2. Not just reliant on Maupay, Connolly and Welbeck (apart from Tau and Swiss Andy).

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Its actually pretty similar - to where we were in the previous 3 seasons - for game 22
17/18 - 23pts, 18/19 - 26 pts,, 19/20 - 24 pts, and now 20/21 - 24pts

With a bit of poetic license in swapping out the different teams in each season, our results by opponent were roughly:

17/18 - 25pts, 18/19 - 21 pts,, 19/20 - 23 pts, and now 20/21 - 24pts

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Also good to see others chipping in goals. Alzate, Biss, Solly etc... Inc Tross.

All the best teams have goals throughout the squad, not just the front 1 or 2. Not just reliant on Maupay, Connolly and Welbeck (apart from Tau and Swiss Andy).

Fair point. Dunky chipped in with 3 now

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
These things take time, frustrating as it has been, the future looks bright. We have had a decent defence since we got promoted, the midfield has only become good, at this level, over the last few months. I have railed against our lack of real quality up front for a long time too, but we are getting better and better, it seems. Trust in TB to know exactly what we need and to get it eventually, I am happy to be patient and in fairness if Maupay, Trossard and Connolly keep improving we only need a big target man and we are there :thumbsup:

Spot on Icy. And that is the primary squad gap. We can of course improve elsewhere but, IMHO, if we had a decent target man we would be top 10, which is the long-term goal. We are so close.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Except that Potty doesn't seem to believe in big target men, seemingly preferring more nimble and more mobile strikers. It would be nice to have a quality target man at our disposal though, just so that we can offer something different, should we need to.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Indeed. If people said 'It is disappointing we haven't signed a proven 15 goals a season EPL striker' I'd say, yes it is. Never mind.

But when people go on to say 'our recruitment team is useless, why did we chose to not sign Josh King (or whoever), Barber is a clown, we're doomed, we need to get rid of that stupid wage structure, why is Tony Bloom so secretive?' etc., I feel a little sad.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Spot on Icy. And that is the primary squad gap. We can of course improve elsewhere but, IMHO, if we had a decent target man we would be top 10, which is the long-term goal. We are so close.

If that's a positive post from you, I salute you :thumbsup:

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
I don't worry about perceived rivals until much later in the season - more interested in our progress. You're going to be OK if you get to about 45 points,40 should be OK, 36-39 you'll be in the zone or thereabouts with company, less than that you're stuffed.

I imagine the current bottom 3 will be the ones to go but the previous bit applies to them as well

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Except that Potty doesn't seem to believe in big target men, seemingly preferring more nimble and more mobile strikers. It would be nice to have a quality target man at our disposal though, just so that we can offer something different, should we need to.

I give you Oli McBurnie

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
My formula for the points target is to look at the teams below and project their points finish based 1 more point for each game they have to play, with an extra 2 points for a win on the last day.

So the season starts with a target of 40.

Anyway my projections are :

Fulham - 33
West Brom - 29
Sheff Utd - 28

Meaning we need 9 more points.... and 3 wins v Villa, Palace and West Brom would do the job nicely.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
My formula for the points target is to look at the teams below and project their points finish based 1 more point for each game they have to play, with an extra 2 points for a win on the last day.

So the season starts with a target of 40.

Anyway my projections are :

Fulham - 33
West Brom - 29
Sheff Utd - 28

Meaning we need 9 more points.... and 3 wins v Villa, Palace and West Brom would do the job nicely.

None of them are close to a point a game at the moment. Doubt any of them will get to those totals

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Too right I'm looking out for the results of the bottom three.

If Maupay gets a season-ending injury we've got a big problem.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Pretty confident we are safe now and should go shit or bust for the cup. We have the new shirt, the 4 years in the top flight, and a manager with white shoes and a toby jug hairline with added side burns.

Some of the above may be incorrect.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here