Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Are the pies at the stadium too expensive @ £4.10?

Are the pies too expensive?

• Yes, too expensive

Votes: 198 81.1%
  • Just about right price

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Too cheap

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • Don't know/don't care

Votes: 15 6.1%

• Total voters

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
If you don't like the pies and think that they are too expensive then don't buy them, and the law of supply and demand will eventually resolve the issue.
If however, you don't like the pies, think they are too expensive, but keep buying them anyway, then you are part of the problem. Personally I don't buy them any more, but if the quality improves and the cost comes down then I will buy them again. Not complicated really.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Sadly, it was inevitable that the quality of the pies would eventually go down, whilst prices went up. Piglets Pantry has gone from a ' cottage industry ' to a much larger operation and the pressure to produce increased dramatically, whilst all costs will have been closely scrutinised.
A friend of mine is involved in pie production and he has had little or no raw material price increases in 18 months and hasn't moved his prices in that time. This increase suggests profiteering.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Well the club caterers have to pay the staff to be there, even when the outlets are shut during the match, they don't just employ them for the 15 minutes of half time and for an hour or so before and after the match so to compare them to shops and alike is a bit off as they tend to be staffed only when open. This means that costs will be higher at the ground.

Also the facilities will be used far less that a retail outlet but won't have been cheaper to supply and fit just because it's a football ground so depreciation will be factored in and increase the overheads and again they will only have very limited times that they can earn money from these facilities due to the limited nature of the business.

So i don't think that they are too expensive, and a lot of the comparisions with elsewhere don't reflect the true situation the club and the caterers face on a matchday.

A lot of the moaning about prices seems a bit like the elderly who used to moan 20 years ago+ that things were so much cheaper when they were a 20 years younger and give examples like they remember when beer was tuppence ha'penny a pint.

The reality is simple, prices go up as you get older because the value of money in comparison goes down so it costs more. Also the more people earn, the more it costs to make or sell things due to increased overheads, making the end product more expensive and there are a lot of basic economic factors that are forgotten about when thinking about the costs of stuff nowadays when comparing to things in the past. You simply get less for your £ than you used to due to things like inflation.

How much is a pie at the ground really? When the average national wage of a person working full time is £26,500 the cost of a pie at the ground is just a miniscule fraction of that wage and the extra 10p it costs compared to last season is an even smaller amount (about 1/265,000th of that average wage extra)

While broadly you're right, this doesn't explain why when inflation is low -- running at the rate of about 1.5%, and predicted by most to go lower -- there's such a big hike from last season, when my pie and pint cost £7. This now costs £7.50, which is a +7% increase.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Sadly we have had to reduce our match day expenditure now take a pie in purchased from Asda really nice for £1.50

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Well the club caterers have to pay the staff to be there, even when the outlets are shut during the match, they don't just employ them for the 15 minutes of half time and for an hour or so before and after the match so to compare them to shops and alike is a bit off as they tend to be staffed only when open. This means that costs will be higher at the ground.

Also the facilities will be used far less that a retail outlet but won't have been cheaper to supply and fit just because it's a football ground so depreciation will be factored in and increase the overheads and again they will only have very limited times that they can earn money from these facilities due to the limited nature of the business.

So i don't think that they are too expensive, and a lot of the comparisions with elsewhere don't reflect the true situation the club and the caterers face on a matchday.

A lot of the moaning about prices seems a bit like the elderly who used to moan 20 years ago+ that things were so much cheaper when they were a 20 years younger and give examples like they remember when beer was tuppence ha'penny a pint.

The reality is simple, prices go up as you get older because the value of money in comparison goes down so it costs more. Also the more people earn, the more it costs to make or sell things due to increased overheads, making the end product more expensive and there are a lot of basic economic factors that are forgotten about when thinking about the costs of stuff nowadays when comparing to things in the past. You simply get less for your £ than you used to due to things like inflation.

How much is a pie at the ground really? When the average national wage of a person working full time is £26,500 the cost of a pie at the ground is just a miniscule fraction of that wage and the extra 10p it costs compared to last season is an even smaller amount (about 1/265,000th of that average wage extra)

image.jpg

One point, you say the kiosks are shut during the match, are you 100% sure about this?
I know alcohol can not be sold when the match is being played, but are you sure that food can not be purchased?

In the WSU the kiosks are open during the match but I have not tried to buy food myself.

However you dress this up the pies are expensive.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
"Are the pies at the stadium too expensive @ £4.10?"" is an impossible question to answer without access to the data showing profit vs. prior years. If the overall profit contribution at £4.10 / pie is around the same or above previous years then, no, they aren't too expensive.

If the question is "Are the pies at the stadium too expensive @ £4.10 FOR ME?" then the answer would be yes, all day long.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
DEAL PRICES EXPLAINED PLEASE
I have a cheese burger and Harveys. Is this a meal deal and what should the price be?
I paid £8.20 and too embarrassed to ask a stupid question to the unknowing girl/boy serving me.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
I really liked them in the first season but half way through the second season I started going off them and have hardly had one in the last 18months. I don't know where the problem lies but somewhere in the chain from production to serving them it has gone downhill quite a bit in my opinion.

I actually prefer the hotdogs if I'm honest.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here