Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Are the pies at the stadium too expensive @ £4.10?

Are the pies too expensive?

• Yes, too expensive

Votes: 198 81.1%
  • Just about right price

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Too cheap

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • Don't know/don't care

Votes: 15 6.1%

• Total voters

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
It costs 5 pounds for a burger at Brighton Racecourse and nobody seems to moan about that. Considering the quality, price is just about okay.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
In a shop, it'd be too expensive. In a stadium I'd say probably about the upper limit of what I'd pay.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I don't think so, similar prices to what you would pay in a pub/cafe in central Brighton. I think the beer prices are OTT though.

I went into Brighton today for a coffee and a panini was priced a 4.50.

Yeah, the prices are comparative with the rest of Brighton but, unlike the Amex, I don't pay £54 a month to be able to get into those cafes.

Last edited:

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Voted don't know, as in general they are too expensive, except...

...for the chilli pie which would still be too cheap at twice the price.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
From what I hear the quality of the pies is DECREASING as the prices are INCREASING

They must have used the railway companies for their business model.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Own up, who has voted too cheap in the poll? ???

That'll be the Piglet's Pantry people who used to post on here when they pretended they cared about quality.

Shoreham Beach Seagull

May 6, 2009
Shoreham Beach
That'll be the Piglet's Pantry people who used to post on here when they pretended they cared about quality.

I'm still here, just been at uni for the last 3 years. Only started working again, however I got told off before for saying things I shouldn't. Have a look on the thread about the Leeds streaming you'll see I'm trying to get back into talking about the product but I'm very limited

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
All too expensive now, Saturday was the first time that not one of the 8 people who I go with didnt spend anything.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
On Saturday ordered two pies and a pint in WSL and was told that the advertised £16 for two food items and two pints didn't apply to the pies and that there was no "deal" price. The till then rang up £15 for the four items. I'm easily confused I guess. £15 for two pints and two pies is ok I guess allowing for a bit of cashback.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Well the club caterers have to pay the staff to be there, even when the outlets are shut during the match, they don't just employ them for the 15 minutes of half time and for an hour or so before and after the match so to compare them to shops and alike is a bit off as they tend to be staffed only when open. This means that costs will be higher at the ground.

Also the facilities will be used far less that a retail outlet but won't have been cheaper to supply and fit just because it's a football ground so depreciation will be factored in and increase the overheads and again they will only have very limited times that they can earn money from these facilities due to the limited nature of the business.

So i don't think that they are too expensive, and a lot of the comparisions with elsewhere don't reflect the true situation the club and the caterers face on a matchday.

A lot of the moaning about prices seems a bit like the elderly who used to moan 20 years ago+ that things were so much cheaper when they were a 20 years younger and give examples like they remember when beer was tuppence ha'penny a pint.

The reality is simple, prices go up as you get older because the value of money in comparison goes down so it costs more. Also the more people earn, the more it costs to make or sell things due to increased overheads, making the end product more expensive and there are a lot of basic economic factors that are forgotten about when thinking about the costs of stuff nowadays when comparing to things in the past. You simply get less for your £ than you used to due to things like inflation.

How much is a pie at the ground really? When the average national wage of a person working full time is £26,500 the cost of a pie at the ground is just a miniscule fraction of that wage and the extra 10p it costs compared to last season is an even smaller amount (about 1/265,000th of that average wage extra)

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Yeah, the prices are comparative with the rest of Brighton but, unlike the Amex, I don't pay £54 a month to be able to get into those cafes.

Bit of an odd comparison to make - Do the cafes in the rest of Brighton also offer the chance to watch live football matches on their premises?

Sonic

Spiky little bugger!
Jul 6, 2003
Patcham
I used to get one at most games. Haven't bought one yet this season and probably won't.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Well the club caterers have to pay the staff to be there, even when the outlets are shut during the match, they don't just employ them for the 15 minutes of half time and for an hour or so before and after the match so to compare them to shops and alike is a bit off as they tend to be staffed only when open. This means that costs will be higher at the ground.

Also the facilities will be used far less that a retail outlet but won't have been cheaper to supply and fit just because it's a football ground so depreciation will be factored in and increase the overheads and again they will only have very limited times that they can earn money from these facilities due to the limited nature of the business.

So i don't think that they are too expensive, and a lot of the comparisions with elsewhere don't reflect the true situation the club and the caterers face on a matchday.

A lot of the moaning about prices seems a bit like the elderly who used to moan 20 years ago+ that things were so much cheaper when they were a 20 years younger and give examples like they remember when beer was tuppence ha'penny a pint.

The reality is simple, prices go up as you get older because the value of money in comparison goes down so it costs more. Also the more people earn, the more it costs to make or sell things due to increased overheads, making the end product more expensive and there are a lot of basic economic factors that are forgotten about when thinking about the costs of stuff nowadays when comparing to things in the past. You simply get less for your £ than you used to due to things like inflation.

How much is a pie at the ground really? When the average national wage of a person working full time is £26,500 the cost of a pie at the ground is just a miniscule fraction of that wage and the extra 10p it costs compared to last season is an even smaller amount (about 1/265,000th of that average wage extra)

The caterers didn't have to install anything did they? They took over an already functioning facility so the depreciation isn't theirs to worry about. They also get most of the profits. With that in mind it isn't too much to ask that if they are going to charge exorbitant prices, could they not make the products as good as the first season at The Amex? I normally fall into the 'licker' category but not this time. The staff still don't know of the pie and pint deal and the people pouring the Harvey's are frigging clueless, usually serving way less than a pint. Still, I shouldn't worry too much because my spend at The Amex is minimal this season and will continue to be so. Like the train companies, they have adopted the spiral of 'numbers down-put prices up, numbers down even more, put prices up', lose more paying customers.

And don't get me started on that ridiculous phone system the club has that costs 40p a minute from a mobile. Why the feck can't they have an 03 number or make the 01273 number part of the queueing system? i am not a cash cow to be milked whenever I come into contact with BHAFC.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Don't complain about the pies. They are helping us keep within FFP.

I often joke about the pies, but in honesty I've only had two.:blush: They were well above average pies and paying a bit more for one is a bit like putting a clod or two in my favourite charity box. Figures to me if we all dig deep perhaps we will be happier at the end of the day. I'd definitely say they were too expensive if I bought one at Smellhurst !

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Bit of an odd comparison to make - Do the cafes in the rest of Brighton also offer the chance to watch live football matches on their premises?

Yeah I hadn't really thought it through.

I'll just revert to "the pies are too expensive for my wallet and I'll not be spending my money on them."

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
i am not a cash cow to be milked whenever I come into contact with BHAFC.

I agree with this statement. It feels like that. I won't be buying anything else when I go to the ground from now on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here