Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Are the pies at the stadium too expensive @ £4.10?

Are the pies too expensive?

• Yes, too expensive

Votes: 198 81.1%
  • Just about right price

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Too cheap

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • Don't know/don't care

Votes: 15 6.1%

• Total voters

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
We all complain about the prices but they'd run out by the time I tried to buy one at half time. Even more disturbing than the prices is the speed and efficiency of the service. Every time I go to the ground it's always the person serving me's first day and they look like they're learning as they go along.

These games are not a surprise to the catering managers. The fixtures are all made public so I'm struggling to understand how they have such horrific staff turnover rates. They have the best source of employees just over the road at Sussex Uni and although uni hasn't started back yet there are enough students around. Even in a 1901 lounge the other day between the BMW Lounge and Bupa Lounge at least 4 of them had no idea what they were doing. Everyone's had a first day at work but why weren't they brought in and trained before? A couple of them didn't know how to work the till and one girl didn't know what Amstel was.

Aaaaand, breathe.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Had one Saturday for the first time in a while, simply because by the time i'd finished work and got to Dicks Bar it was the best of what was to offer.

Quality was nothing on opening 2 seasons, pie had definitely been sat there over an hour to go that dry. At £4.10, I won't be buying another.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Probably a bit but you pay over £3 at the local butchers, the last time I had one of them I had an aftertaste of dogfood. I do have one question for you though . . . . Do all Gregs like pies?

I have never eaten dog food, I'm guessing you don't recommend it :ohmy:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
They are virtually inedible is the problem. I would not mind paying £5 for a Higgidy Pie but not a penny for these.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I love the pies, but they are a bit pricey....still I don't go all that often and they are a bit of a treat so I'll keep buying them.

:)

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Yes they are excessively overpriced and i don't care if they are locally produced . Beer prices i can understand but not pies. You won't catch me buying one.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
For what the burgers and hot dogs are reported to be, they are definitely too expensive.

Given the pies are local product, and not the sort of mass produced pie like a ginsters or pukka pie, and given it is being served at the amex, I would say it's probably not completely unreasonable. I would be more likely to buy one more often if they were cheaper, though.

How is the cashback thing working this season? Is it?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Yes they are excessively overpriced and i don't care if they are locally produced . Beer prices i can understand but not pies. You won't catch me buying one.

The beer is also too expensive, considering the slow service and I've given up drinking Harvey's at the Amex,
It's cheaper in most pubs and tastes better.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
yes they are too expensive , i was going to buy one on saturday but when i saw the price i decided against buying one . I think in the first year at the amex they were £3.65 and were very good and good value, the pies last year maybe were not as good and seemed to have less filling , but i will not pay over £4,00 for a pie

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Think they are too expensive and quality this season has gone down. However quality of cheeseburger has improved. Better quality bun and dressing
On Saturday my server in WSL did not understand the term "Bovril". So I pointed to one of the Bovril cups on the counter. "Ah. Coffee Do you want milk?" he said.

aliakbanrafsanjali

Dec 29, 2012
Pies are far to expensive for me, but they are very nice, but all items at the kiosks are out of my financial reach. I take a my own snacks, which I vary for me and little Ali and I also take my own soft drinks. This is my choice and makes match days cost effective and I don't have to queue up to be fleeced and receive slow and poor service.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Think they are too expensive and quality this season has gone down. However quality of cheeseburger has improved. Better quality bun and dressing
On Saturday my server in WSL did not understand the term "Bovril". So I pointed to one of the Bovril cups on the counter. "Ah. Coffee Do you want milk?" he said.

:lolol:
That Bovril story has made me chuckle.
Football in 2014 don't you just love it?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Most food at football grounds is woeful quality, there's no doubt that Piglets are one of the better choices, but the prices are disproportionate, so I don't bother. I appreciate there are logistical problems in getting them to the Amex and they are sold within a relatively small timeframe, but that doesn't justify £4.10.

Honourable mention must go to Huddersfield, who sell pies and hot dogs AFTER the match in the away end for a pound a piece.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here