Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are Kids getting worse?

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
London Irish said:
She's from the Chalk Hill estate, which is half-Neasden, half-Wembley. One of the better immigrant estates, didn't riot in the 1980s. I'm from Neasden but went to the school that was built into the Chalk Hill estate. Hence I'm proud she's making it, we don't produce many famous people :)

Sid and Doris Bonkers.

I am a son of Wembley Hill myself, and former Harlesden resident. The whole of north-west London has a large population of Irish descent.

E

enigma

Dick Knights Mum said:
Sid and Doris Bonkers.

I am a son of Wembley Hill myself, and former Harlesden resident. The whole of north-west London has a large population of Irish descent.

Ah ok. I knew Kilburn did but I didnt really know where else did.

I was in Harlesden the other day, grim place.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
enigma said:
Ah ok. I knew Kilburn did but I didnt really know where else did.

I was in Harlesden the other day, grim place.

I livedthere from 1979 for a few years. I never thought of it as grim. I enjoyed it. It seemed to be a very settled population. When the Brixton riots happened - it was all quiet in Harlesden - although the shutters were installed on the shops overnight.

Not as pleasant a place as some of the places I lived afterwards - but not really grim. Although I can believe it is a different place now.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Re: Re: Re: Re: Are Kids getting worse?

B.M.F said:
Which is all well and good when you have parents that are at home. With the cost of living etc it is impossible for a family to have only one bread winner which is why Kids run riot as they have no one home bringing them up in a manner that is suitable for people of my age and above.

I never said parenting was easy, christ knows it isn't, but you can't just push responsibility away. Lacking the time to be a responsible parent is as far as I'm concerned a piss poor argument.

E

enigma

Dick Knights Mum said:
I livedthere from 1979 for a few years. I never thought of it as grim. I enjoyed it. It seemed to be a very settled population. When the Brixton riots happened - it was all quiet in Harlesden - although the shutters were installed on the shops overnight.

Not as pleasant a place as some of the places I lived afterwards - but not really grim. Although I can believe it is a different place now.

Fair enough. There's a lot of shootings up there, I see that on the news quite a lot. It just struck me as quite depressing. Round Stonebridge is awful.

But you're right there are places that are just as bad.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I believe it is indeed all to do with boundaries - and applying them consistantly, and between all the adults involved.

And hopefully they make the right decisions when it comes to making their own friends.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
London Irish said:
She's from the Chalk Hill estate, which is half-Neasden, half-Wembley. One of the better immigrant estates, didn't riot in the 1980s. I'm from Neasden but went to the school that was built into the Chalk Hill estate. Hence I'm proud she's making it, we don't produce many famous people :)

Neasden is an absolute toilet, I'm not a big fan of N.West London and have lived in Kenton, Wembley and Harrow.

As for Lady Soverign she is already signed to Jay Z and making ripples in the states

http://www.hiphopsite.com/?p=/SEARCH/?ITEM=4C1545AD-CAA9-4332-B5A9-E4B44FCA6250

Shame she's a little shite

dwayne said:
I'm not a big fan of N.West London and have lived in Kenton, Wembley and Harrow.

Yeah, it's not as white as B'muff :)

Last edited:

enigma said:
Ah ok, I knew she was from somewhere up there. She's had quite an interesting rise to fame, if you like. She didnt follow the usual path to success from that scene, that is to say going on a lot of pirate radio stations and performing at raves, like for example Dizzee Rascal. So really, she doesnt have much of an underground following, but she's actually better known in the mainstream than a lot of people from the underground. She was on a remix of The Streets song fit but you know it, which will have helped.

As I said, I'm still not sure about her musically, but maybe I need to gvie her more of a chance. She's certainly marketed herself well, she's a real character, and she's got a more radio friendly image than a lot of people from that scene. Good luck to her, breaking into the music business is hard, especially coming from an estate, so I wish her all the best.

Does Neasden have a big Irish community? I know Kilburn does, I've seen all the Irish pubs showing the hurling etc. One thing that baffles me, how come you ended up supporting the Albion?

I moved here to college and never left. I had no real "Mike Ward" issues as I'd never supported a London team, so gradually developing a soft spot for the Albion was not that hard, although it did take time.

Neasden does have a big Irish presence, nearly all the pubs are Irish ones, as you may spot sometime in the future once Wembley kicks back into use.

Most of Brent is a huge cultural melting pot, and that has meant various ethnic groups have predominated in Neasden at one time or the other.

Most of the Irish did start out in Kilburn (I was born there but spent most of early years in Stonebridge/Harlesden area where my bestest mate aged 4 was another Irish lad called Shane Ritchie, whatever happened to him) but the Irish then crept northwards when we got a bit more money.

Neasden then had a sizeable Jewish community but when the Irish started arriving in the 1970s, not surprisingly they didn't like us parking our caravans on their lawns, so they moved northwards into Barnet etc and we bought their houses. When Chalk Hill was built in the 70s, we had a big influx of West Indians, and then ten years later Asians started arriving, buying up the houses of the Irish who themselves wanted to follow the Jews into more embourgeosified areas of north London.

The Neasden area is now a great multicultural mix that has been an enormous influence in shaping my views on the world. Very proud that we now have a talented young chancer like Lady Sovereign who sums up the area beautifully :D

Last edited:

E

enigma

That's interesting that you didn't support any team, although I suppose there isn't a really local team. Ironic given the national stadium is there. Where I am is close to Chelsea, Arsenal and QPR so you get fans of all three but mainly Chelsea and Arsenal.

Don't really know Neasden that well at all, my cousin lived near Willesden (Dollis Hill) and I go north-west every now again, mainly Kilburn or Harlesden.

You're right about Brent being multi-cultural, its also a poor borough as well, if I'm not mistaken. I mean, not on the scale of East London (Hackney, Tower Hamlets etc) but I seem to remember its one of the poorer boroughs.

Didn't know about the Jewish contingent in Neasden either, though I suppose it wasn't far for them to move to some of the more Jewish areas now.

Every area goes through phases in terms of its ethnic make up. Its like the East End, where all the Jews have gone and its more Asian and Black now. Another thing I seem to remember hearing was that there were a few asian gang conflicts around Wembley, tamils and someone else I seem to remember.

I love the way London is so multi-cutural, so much to do. The next influx will be the Eastern Europeans, cant believe how much I hear their languages spoken on the tube now etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here