Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Apparently done deals

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
A host of Championship clubs are confirmed to be interested in Austin. As fun as it is, I really think its unnecessarily raising expectations.

2 things to consider (a) austin is not setting league 1 on fire this year
(b) poyet was assitant manager at swindon not long a go
also we prised the swindon captain here
last season to a team that struggled so coming to a team
top of the league should be a doddle

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006

If Hull, with their new found money, come knocking at Austin's door, and they've already stated their interest, there's no way he will turn them down for us.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
No way Murray will be leaving in January ... your looking at Whing, Holroyd and maybe 1-2 of the fringe players on loans

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I can't see Austin coming here tbh. Tony Bloom has stated on a number of occassions that he doesn't like doing business in January; he probably wouldn't stump up the kind of money that Swindon would be looking for; Austin's wage demands would be too high for The Albion & he probably wouldn't want to come here anyway. Apart from that, I guess it's a nailed-on. :thumbsup:

Indeed, and weren't we unable to afford Billy Painter's wages? Rumours were doing the rounds that he was on £6000 per week at Swindon. Presumably he's on a good bit more at Leeds, so would not even have thought of coming to us unless we could match or increase his Swindon wage. Austin can't be on as much I wouldn't have thought, but TB does not want to break the wage structure. We have quite a few players whose contracts run out this season. Imagine the effect if they all wanted large wage rises.

Last edited:

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11

Poyet has no connection with Austin though. He was at Poole Town until the start of the 2009-2010 season.

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
I think some of you forget the age gap between Murray and Austin. Murray's in his prime so to speak yet has never played above League One.

Austin is 21 (I think), 6 years younger and has a far better goalscoring record in a short career.

I know being Brighton fans it's hard not to be biased of your own players, but other clubs would never rate Murray as a better player.

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
Dont see the relevance of Poyet being the assistant manager at Swindon 6 years ago or whenever it was

fair point i didn"t realise how long ago poyet was at swindon.
when we got grear & then heard we were infor austin i just thought
he had an inside track.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Indeed, and weren't we unable to afford Billy Painter's wages? Rumours were doing the rounds that he was on £6000 per week at Swindon. Presumably he's on a good bit more at Leeds, so would not even have thought of coming to us unless we could match or increase his Swindon wage. Austin can't be on as much I wouldn't have thought, but TB does not want to break the wage structure. We have quite a few players whose contracts run out this season. Imagine the effect if they all wanted large wage rises.

Can't see why we couldn't pay 6-8K per week - I know the club has a top wage but now is the time to raise it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here