Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Apparently done deals

FLAIRtastic

Aug 29, 2010

FLAIRtastic

Aug 29, 2010
What difference would that make? He said Austin scores goals, he does. He's a stiker, that's the bottom line.

For Murray? Our one striker who actually creates? Yes brilliant idea. Charlie Austin wouldn't be as effective as Glenn considering who he's got to work with up front.

Austin does score goals, that is correct. But swapping Murray for him, ludicrous.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
For Murray? Our one striker who actually creates? Yes brilliant idea. Charlie Austin wouldn't be as effective as Glenn considering who he's got to work with up front.

Austin does score goals, that is correct. But swapping Murray for him, ludicrous.

One game Murray will be amazing, the next game he'll do nothing. Austin would probably score in both games, given the chances our team creates.

I wouldn't want to swap Murray with Austin, I'd want them as a partnership. I like Murray, but if you gave me the option between the two of them, I think you'd disagree with what I'd decide.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Austin's skills (natural scorer) are more valuable than Glenn's (brings other's into play, scores less, misses too many)... my preference would obviously be to retain Glenn and buy Austin, but... if I was forced to chose, then I would opt for Mr Austin every time... with him upfront, we would be about another 8 points clear, IMHO...

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
This January should be exciting, that's all that can be said. We should hope to sign a better class of player now that we are top and Amex is 6 months away.

LS6

Nov 9, 2010
Considering the number of chances Ashley Barnes has when playing along side Glenn Murray, imagine if it was Austin instead. Not saying I think we'll get Austin, there would be Championship sides likely to offer the same transfer fee but higher wages. Would be great though, would make Swindon fans love us even more

FLAIRtastic

Aug 29, 2010
One game Murray will be amazing, the next game he'll do nothing. Austin would probably score in both games, given the chances our team creates.

I wouldn't want to swap Murray with Austin, I'd want them as a partnership. I like Murray, but if you gave me the option between the two of them, I think you'd disagree with what I'd decide.

Don't get me wrong, i do agree with you. It just worries me that in the last few games teams have finally sussed us out, they are playing a much higher line and putting immense pressure on our defence meaning we have to hoof it up to Murray, and he normally wins the headers, we don't have anyone else who can do that, that's the thing that worries me. I have no idea about Austin's ability in the air, if he's good however, it's a relatively easy decision.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Don't get me wrong, i do agree with you. It just worries me that in the last few games teams have finally sussed us out, they are playing a much higher line and putting immense pressure on our defence meaning we have to hoof it up to Murray, and he normally wins the headers, we don't have anyone else who can do that, that's the thing that worries me. I have no idea about Austin's ability in the air, if he's good however, it's a relatively easy decision.

I think we need more pace up front, that should be a priority with teams playing a much higher defensive line. Austin isn't noticeably quick (he looks really bizarre when he's running!) but he is deceptively tall, he is 6'2. He's not brilliant in the air, that is one of Murray's strengths, but he's not bad. The difference is he gets in the right positions to score simple goals, look at the one he scored against us on the opening day for example. He was just stood where the ball might drop. I don't think we've got a player like that, but I think that's what we need. If we lost Murray, then we'd have to change the dynamic of our attack because we'd lose a high work rate and we'd lose a player who wins freekicks and penalties. But if we replaced him with Austin, we'd gain a prolific striker who would change games.

If we signed Noone and Austin in january but lost Murray, I would be happy with the business and I think it would be hard to disagree.

brulee

Aug 12, 2008
flairtastic, swindon, charlton and southampton away. will also go to exeter, yeovil, and bournemouth.

imissworthing2

Mar 15, 2008
In the Valleys
I go to uni with a mate of Charlie Austin and when I asked him to recommend Brighton to Charlie his response was "he will go to the championship" and mentioned Millwall. It was about a month ago and from what I remember it seemed as if he was quite open to a transfer, whether I just assumed he meant in jan or he actually said it I'm not to sure.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Murray may well be on his way out - not signed a new contract and no news of negotiations. I think Murray would only want to go to a club upper League 1 or championship. If he did want to go he could be used as a sweetner to swindon (+600K) in return for austin, could be good for both clubs.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I would be gutted if Murray were to go and we got Austin. I think Murray is better tbh.
Joke of the day surely?:lolol:

If murray leaves he will move up north and i mean up north:Dto be honest i wouldn't be to disappointed if murray left as we need goal scorers not a hold up man week in week out.

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
Murray is out of contract in the summer & as no new contract has been offered to him seems he may be on his way out. The Charlie Austin rumour is utter bollocks. If he were to leave Swindon it will be for the Championship

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Haven't people been saying this stuff for weeks? There's nothing new in that, except someone posted it with more belief in what they are saying.

It's easy to see where this goes round. Threads start on what people would like to see in the transfer window, someone makes up a rumour, someone doesn't preface their post with "I'd like" instead simply writing "austin in during january" and so someone thinks it's a fact and reposts it elsewhere, rumours start about contracts, even though no one is actually in the know, and everything gets mixed up.

Of course it helps they all can be argued as reasonable. But there's nothing really new in this one, and I'm just gonna take it with a pinch of salt until something happens.

Mar 29, 2010
Under your skin.
Austin is better than Murray.

FACT.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
I only work with 4 others & bizarrely one's huddersfield, one sheff weds & 1 plymouth so it makes for good banter at the moment. Anyway the plymouth one is a STH down there and he reckons we're getting Noone + Wright Phillips with Murray going to them. BWP is like Murray contract wise & they need to sell him in January otherwise he goes for free in the summer + he is one of their highest earners and they can't afford him at the moment!

Sounds like they have as many dreamers as we do BUT both Noone & BWP were 'doubtful' for last Saturday as they were supposedly carrying knocks and the conspirators down there have put 2 & 2 together and come up with they won't play again in case they get injured!

:amex:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here