Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone Happy To Admit To Panic Buying/Stockpiling?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Once M&S has dealt with the initial rush it should be a good place to shop for food as most of its customers will be stuck at home :moo:

Just back from my post local produce retailer, Macknade. Shelves still chocca with smoked salmon, Kentish cider, sour dough bread made on the premises, and their fine selected imports such as fish soup, etc. Bumped into an acquaintance who was telling me he just got out of Honkers before the balloon went up. Had to leave his staff in charge of his household, but two of them couldn't travel anyway - temperatures like krakatoa, and coughs like Bob Fleming, apparently.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Shopes

Jan 3, 2018
I know it's been said on here before but the local shops seem to be the best places to get bits at the moment. I've been to town and George Street today shopping for a few essentials, such as paracetamol, and everywhere was sold out. I ended up going to the Post Office/Premier Store on Whitehawk Way and they had plenty of toilet roll, Paracetamol, Calpol, tinned food etc.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
I know it's been said on here before but the local shops seem to be the best places to get bits at the moment. I've been to town and George Street today shopping for a few essentials, such as paracetamol, and everywhere was sold out. I ended up going to the Post Office/Premier Store on Whitehawk Way and they had plenty of toilet roll, Paracetamol, Calpol, tinned food etc.

Health food shops too. Some great little independent ones around the county.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
My local nisa is limiting toilet roll to one pack per person ..... Which is fair enough I guess.

If there is a "silver lining" to all this it may give a big boost to corner shops and encourage some to transfer even a small % of their grocery spend to them on a permanent basis.

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
We have the following that I'd consider "extra":

3 * 500g pasta
1 * 500g basmati rice
4 * tins of tomatoes
1 * tube tomato puree
2 * tins black beans
2 * tins chickpeas
1 * pack frozen Quorn mince
1 * bag potatoes (we don't normally ever have potatoes in the house)

However, by Thursday each week we're pretty much out of stuff - it's when we do our weekly shop - so this could tide us over for a few days if we went to do our shop and the shelves were bare.

A very worrying lack of wine stock piling in that list Bozza!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I've just had a tactical thought.
If I can delay buying the paint my missus has requested for our decorating, I think there is a good chance that we will follow Italy and Spain and close all shops apart from supermarkets and chemists.
That would be a blow.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Wrong. What people are doing now and the past few weeks is panic buying.

Calmly adding a few extra to an online order way back in January when covid 19 was still isolated to Asia was just thinking ahead of the herd. Some of us read up on the science reports and saw the potential severity.

Zero panic, zero harm to the supply chain and certainly no re-selling scams.

Whilst we were doing that there were morons openly flouting their ignorance laughing about this being ‘just a flu mate’ that wouldn’t do any harm to us in Europe. Some of these folk are undoubtedly the ones waking up late and are the cause of the panic.

Again, some people think ahead in life, others don’t.

I was just listening to Helen Dickinson of the British Retail Consortium who said if we all buy that little bit extra , which you admit to having done, then it will cause shortages.

But what you need, when you need it.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
IMG_20200315_172837.jpg

Today's fantasy pack. No reasonable offer refused :)

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I was just listening to Helen Dickinson of the British Retail Consortium who said if we all buy that little bit extra , which you admit to having done, then it will cause shortages.

But what you need, when you need it.

There are no shortages apart from paracetamol and sanitizer! It might not be on the shelves but the supplies are there. Go to your supermarket first thing and all the shelves will be full. At least that is my experience over the last couple of weeks.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I couldn't stockpile or panic buy even if I wanted too because there was hardly anything left on the shelves when I popped up my local supermarket earlier.
The selfishness and ignorance of so many n today's society is very saddening.
What are people who rely on food banks going to do for even a small amount of essentials if they have to self isolate because the banks are getting nothing in at the moment.
This post would have been at home in Edwardian Britain.

Just ;listen to this hypocrisy and weep. This is the person who has insulted so many others of a different opinion, and on the Brexit thread, suggested that that those who he considered to be thick, should be denied the vote .

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Have the programme, bog rolls and, as an asthmatic, I don't use Ibuprofen so the only thing that I'm interested in is the sanitiser but as I can't tell if it's a full or empty bottle then I'm out!

Worrying times for you -I wish you well.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Have the programme, bog rolls and, as an asthmatic, I don't use Ibuprofen so the only thing that I'm interested in is the sanitiser but as I can't tell if it's a full or empty bottle then I'm out!
There is some suggestion from the evidence in France that taking ibuprofen with Corona virus isn't a great idea. Paracetamol is by far better.

I have no idea of the scientific truth of this, but there you go - it's a suggestion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here