Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone Happy To Admit To Panic Buying/Stockpiling?

There are no shortages apart from paracetamol and sanitizer! It might not be on the shelves but the supplies are there. Go to your supermarket first thing and all the shelves will be full. At least that is my experience over the last couple of weeks.

Tend to agree. I go shopping in dribs and drabs to break up the day as I WFH. Four supermarkets in our town and over the past week I have visited all on more than one occasions (Yes, I know I should get out more). The only things that I have noticed an absence of is toilet roll (and even with this not a total absence, I could have bought loads but had no need to) and anything with "anti bacterial" featured in its name which I understand is not going to kill off a virus.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If us over 70s are going to be confined to our houses and not allowed out, as seems possibly to be one scenario, we'll bloody well have to stockpile, won't we, those us who live alone anyway.

I'll have to organise a few barrels - should be able to store them in the garage..................

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
As I won’t be self isolating and all the tins and dried food has gone I’ll have to eat fresh produce..... how awful.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
If us over 70s are going to be confined to our houses and not allowed out, as seems possibly to be one scenario, we'll bloody well have to stockpile, won't we, those us who live alone anyway.

I'll have to organise a few barrels - should be able to store them in the garage..................

Ye but barrels of hand gel is a bit OTT :whistle:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Tend to agree. I go shopping in dribs and drabs to break up the day as I WFH. Four supermarkets in our town and over the past week I have visited all on more than one occasions (Yes, I know I should get out more). The only things that I have noticed an absence of is toilet roll (and even with this not a total absence, I could have bought loads but had no need to) and anything with "anti bacterial" featured in its name which I understand is not going to kill off a virus.

That’s not a phrase that’s trending any longer

driddles

Nov 8, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Has anyone seen hand sanitizer for sale in last 2 weeks anywhere ? I haven't.

I was in a shop over here with no sanitizer on the shelf. I asked the clerk when I checked out if they had any and they slipped me a bottle. Said if they put it on the shelves some idiot buys every one, so they keep them hidden. Worth asking, you never know.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

I was in a shop over here with no sanitizer on the shelf. I asked the clerk when I checked out if they had any and they slipped me a bottle. Said if they put it on the shelves some idiot buys every one, so they keep them hidden. Worth asking, you never know.

Coronavirus: Tennessee brothers hoard nearly 18,000 bottles of hand sanitizer, say they have nowhere to sell it

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
There is some suggestion from the evidence in France that taking ibuprofen with Corona virus isn't a great idea. Paracetamol is by far better.

I have no idea of the scientific truth of this, but there you go - it's a suggestion.
Ibuprofen is dangerous generally. Can instigate Stephens Johnson's disease, makes skin complaints worse, very small print warning about not using any related product for chicken pox.

Too many risks with it, I always try to avoid it in favour of paracetomol

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019

Really struggle to comprehend the obsession with spending money on this stuff. Isn’t a comprehensive hand washing routine just about as effective? (Could be wrong). Either way, unless you touch absolute nothing when you’re out and about you’re going to constantly need to keep reapplying it. Wearing thin winter gloves a better option potentially?

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Really struggle to comprehend the obsession with spending money on this stuff. Isn’t a comprehensive hand washing routine just about as effective? (Could be wrong). Either way, unless you touch absolute nothing when you’re out and about you’re going to constantly need to keep reapplying it. Wearing thin winter gloves a better option potentially?

My understanding is that comprehensive hand washing is much better, removes and washes the virus down the plughole. Hand sanitiser doesn't remove the virus from the hands and there is some dispute still whether it destroys the virus itself, however it is still recommended (when hand washing isn't available) as long as it contains a certain level of alcohol (I've read some say over 60% alcohol, others better to be nearer 70%).

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Last night I needed some bread, milk and beers. Popped along to M&S at the Lewes service station and guess what?! I purchased Bread, milk and beers. I was the only person in there.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Ibuprofen is dangerous generally. Can instigate Stephens Johnson's disease, makes skin complaints worse, very small print warning about not using any related product for chicken pox.

Too many risks with it, I always try to avoid it in favour of paracetomol

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

It is also dangerous if taking other medication

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
So much for that email from all the major supermarkets yesterday! Did they really just expect all the brain dead panic buyers to comply. My wife has just texted and observed that Morrisons appear to allowing a free for all. The highlight being a woman with 8 x 8 pack of pork chops in her trolley!

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
Wife caught me stockpiling this morning. Gave me a bollocking and made me put it all back where I found it....
f976a9731ef0122e88dd0787e2a8f1c8.jpg

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

As long as you throw them away. It’s worthwhile using the disposable plastic gloves at petrol stations when you fill up your car.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Wife caught me stockpiling this morning. Gave me a bollocking and made me put it all back where I found it....
f976a9731ef0122e88dd0787e2a8f1c8.jpg

If anyone needs:-

Mini scotch eggs
Cocktail sausage
Pork pies
Babybel
Or
Quiche

Feel free to ask, as I misunderstood and went...

...picnic buying.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Just finished a 12hr shift, went to my local COOP. No bread, eggs, toilet roll, baked beans, ibuprofen, paracetamol or rice. No chance of stock piling. FFS.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Yes - just bought a pack of 4 toilet rolls, and bought 4 Easter Eggs in Tesco as they were on offer. Sorry to those who miss out due to my greed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here