Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone Happy To Admit To Panic Buying/Stockpiling?

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
The panic buyers are raiding the supermarkets (I saw a photo on Facebook of a bloke with two trolley loads of disposable nappies) leaving the small corner shops alone.
Our local Facebook group mentioned the small corner shops still having items available.

Yes, for anyone in any doubt THIS ^^ is panic buying.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Wrong. What people are doing now and the past few weeks is panic buying.

Calmly adding a few extra to an online order way back in January when covid 19 was still isolated to Asia was just thinking ahead of the herd. Some of us read up on the science reports and saw the potential severity.

Zero panic, zero harm to the supply chain and certainly no re-selling scams.

Whilst we were doing that there were morons openly flouting their ignorance laughing about this being ‘just a flu mate’ that wouldn’t do any harm to us in Europe. Some of these folk are undoubtedly the ones waking up late and are the cause of the panic.

Again, some people think ahead in life, others don’t.

So if everyone was as sanctimoniously clever as you the panic buying would have happened in January instead.

I will be sure to let my 90 year old dad, who has just lost his wife, know what an idiot he is!

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
So if everyone was as sanctimoniously clever as you the panic buying would have happened in January instead.

I will be sure to let my 90 year old dad, who has just lost his wife, know what an idiot he is!

What on earth has your dads wife got to do with anything I said? I’m sorry for his loss but this is utterly irrelevant. I saw you using this angle on someone else here.

Don’t leverage your personal situation to score cheap points to win an argument. I can quite happily roll out sob stories too.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
What on earth has your dads wife got to do with anything I said?I’m sorry for his loss but this is utterly irrelevant. I saw you using this angle on someone else here.

Please don’t leverage your personal situation to score cheap points to win an argument. I can quite happily roll out sob stories too.

My point is, and no it’s not leverage, it’s real life.

Clearly, we are all not as clever as you.

And as for my dad, my point was, while he has been nursing his sick wife to her final days, stock piling loo rolls and pasta wasn’t high on his or our agenda... there will be thousands of people like him, and yes my wife with cancer, who will undoubtedly suffer at the stupidity and greed of some!

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
My point is, and no it’s not leverage, it’s real life.

Clearly, we are all not as clever as you.

And as for my dad, my point was, while he has been nursing his sick wife to her final days, stock piling loo rolls and pasta wasn’t high on his or our agenda... there will be thousands of people like him, and yes my wife with cancer, who will undoubtedly suffer at the stupidity and greed of some!

A fair point versus the panic buyers. Especially the scum who are re-selling at higher prices. We agree on that. And that’s why I spoke up, to make the distinction clear.

Those of us who quietly stocked up sometime ago have had no impact on the current supply chain. And for what it’s worth yes, our supplies are also there to help the older members of our family.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Wrong. What people are doing now and the past few weeks is panic buying.

Calmly adding a few extra to an online order way back in January when covid 19 was still isolated to Asia was just thinking ahead of the herd. Some of us read up on the science reports and saw the potential severity.

Zero panic, zero harm to the supply chain and certainly no re-selling scams.

Whilst we were doing that there were morons openly flouting their ignorance laughing about this being ‘just a flu mate’ that wouldn’t do any harm to us in Europe. Some of these folk are undoubtedly the ones waking up late and are the cause of the panic.

Again, some people think ahead in life, others don’t.
You were buying extra that you didn't need. So whilst you may not have done it whilst in a state of panic, doing it leads to the kinds of scenes we are seeing now as everyone thinks they need to do it too.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Finished my shift doing the bread and cakes at Tesco Bishop Auckland at 11. Chaos. When I started at 6 there were precisely 5 loaves of bread left over from yesterday, there are usually hundreds. There was a normal Sunday bread delivery this morning that all went out into the shop and, based upon the sales from 10am, will be gone by now. Much busier than Xmas and the only other time we have been cleared out like this was during the beast from the east. My boss got pushed and shoved whilst unpacking toilet rolls and she knows that there is pasta in the warehouse but has decided not to go anywhere near it until more staff are there so that they can work in packs to keep each other reasonably safe. There is no rice, uht milk, flour or frozen veg and cereal is starting to run low. Crazy times.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Exactly. Not sure they will listen though. This is the new virtue signaling witch-hunt thread. NSC always has to have at least one on the go at any one time.
Perhaps any stockpilers who drove to the shop 1cm/hour over the speed limit could get double NSC thumbs down? ???

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
My mate went to Normandy Friday, supposed to be coming back tomorrow, what's his chances?

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Can only speak for Spain....repatriation flights for tourists are going ahead but on a much reduced basis. I guess it must be the same for France.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
We started about 3/4 weeks ago, plugged in a new freezer in the shed and stocked up on frozen meals from Iceland. Been buying an extra one or two loads of bread each day from the Tesco’s over the road, got a few more extra large packs of toilet rolls due to the amount of coughing the kids are doing, advice is to cough into a tissue then bin it. Stocked up on pasta, tins, etc etc. Why wouldn’t we? Have 3 young children, 2 with cf, we made the decision early as it was obvious to anyone what was going to happen, glad we did now, have been on ‘lockdown’ now for a week. The panic buying is because people have been too slow to realise what was going to happen. It was only common sense.
Sensible. I took the decision 6 weeks ago not to eat into the no-deal-Brexit stockpile, so just had to plug a small number of gaps. Hopefully won't need the water purification tablets though :facepalm:

Soylent Blue

Banned
Mar 13, 2019
Finished my shift doing the bread and cakes at Tesco Bishop Auckland at 11. Chaos. When I started at 6 there were precisely 5 loaves of bread left over from yesterday, there are usually hundreds. There was a normal Sunday bread delivery this morning that all went out into the shop and, based upon the sales from 10am, will be gone by now. Much busier than Xmas and the only other time we have been cleared out like this was during the beast from the east. My boss got pushed and shoved whilst unpacking toilet rolls and she knows that there is pasta in the warehouse but has decided not to go anywhere near it until more staff are there so that they can work in packs to keep each other reasonably safe. There is no rice, uht milk, flour or frozen veg and cereal is starting to run low. Crazy times.

Have a friend who works in ASDA in Hailsham, she said yesterday was busier than Christmas and was dreading today.

Can I just remind you that I still have an in date tin of dried yeast going spare if anyone wishes to make me an offer :)

Also the Londis at the Shell garage in Copthorne had 3 x 9 roll packs of loo roll in front of the the till, although that was a couple of hours ago.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Angry people, too ****ing right.

My wife has cancer and falls into the “high at risk” category - can she get hand sanitiser, no she ****ing can’t, can she get ear pieces for the thermometer that she needs to take her temperature, yes, at 4 times the price they were 2 weeks ago. Can she get Paracetemol for the pain she’s in, no she can’t as the locusts have eaten them all.

Now tell me I’m a virtue signaller...!

**** you and your I’m alright Jack attitude...
Aarrrgh. I could have got you some paracetamol earlier if I'd read this. Probably sold out now as they didn't have much on the shelf.

I mean this sincerely that if I see some again, I'll post it to you. No guarantees obviously as there is a problem with ingredient supply from India I believe. But I will, even if it's just a packet or 2.

D

Deleted member 22389

Co-op Peacehaven, busiest I have ever seen it for a Sunday. Managed to grab some rolls, there where only four packets left.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here