Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone Happy To Admit To Panic Buying/Stockpiling?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I was looking at this last week for the very same reasons. Wondered if anywhere would have them in stock to pick up - have you found any?
We actually looked into it a few months back to try and save money on food. Seemed like currys was the best option £89.99, was out of stock though so we left it.
I've just reserved one online to pick up tomorrow in the Brighton branch.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
It's a herd instinct. If everyone else has panic bought, you might as well do the same. Otherwise everything has already gone by the time you actually need it. Effectively it becomes a stampede that you can't escape or avoid even if you want to.

It has it's own logic and rationality, although it isn't public spirited, and is infuriating.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It's a herd instinct. If everyone else has panic bought, you might as well do the same. Otherwise everything has already gone by the time you actually need it. Effectively it becomes a stampede that you can't escape or avoid even if you want to.

It has it's own logic and rationality, although it isn't public spirited, and is infuriating.

Yes, exactly this. I haven't yet found the need to buy anything extra but at some point soon I will need to buy either toilet rolls or several copies of the Daily Mail. I'd rather not have to walk 5 miles to an obscure corner shop and pay twice the going rate for 4 rolls of Andrex but I'm ****ed if I'm going to start stripping the shelves with the rest of the selfish.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I am against businesses not assuming the full cost of their business and that includes the probability of supply disruption. Just in time supply chains are an example of the fragility of such modern business practices, where society is left to bare the cost as opposed to the business. Of course large scale hoarding and reselling should be banned but it is a consequence of allowing the likes of EBay to exist. People have forgotten that prices can go up as well as down.
All I am saying is let’s be clear where the fault lies. People need to stop blaming others for stocking two weeks extra because that is what will be needed at the very least. As someone else has said, there is also a need to buy extra for the elderly if they cannot leave their houses. We will be doing exactly this for my elderly, poorly mother.
Trouble is that overstocking causes prices to rise as business have to recoup the additional cost from the customer. Then they become uncompetitive and eventually go bust. It's another example of herd instinct.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Guilty I’m afraid.
Despite having a fully stocked wine rack (24 bottles), I must admit to pugging away the odd crate of cotes du Rhône in the cupboard under the stairs. You just can’t be too careful.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I am against businesses not assuming the full cost of their business and that includes the probability of supply disruption. Just in time supply chains are an example of the fragility of such modern business practices, where society is left to bare the cost as opposed to the business. Of course large scale hoarding and reselling should be banned but it is a consequence of allowing the likes of EBay to exist. People have forgotten that prices can go up as well as down.
All I am saying is let’s be clear where the fault lies. People need to stop blaming others for stocking two weeks extra because that is what will be needed at the very least. As someone else has said, there is also a need to buy extra for the elderly if they cannot leave their houses. We will be doing exactly this for my elderly, poorly mother.

The vulnerable age groups, i.e. dying, are the over 70’s.

For everyone else it will be case of self isolating once your household has it. At most, it’s disputed, that’s two weeks, as you say.

There’s no need for non-elderly households to have huge volumes of loo rolls for example.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
We actually looked into it a few months back to try and save money on food. Seemed like currys was the best option £89.99, was out of stock though so we left it.
I've just reserved one online to pick up tomorrow in the Brighton branch.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Likewise - it's been one of those things we keep meaning to do, and just haven't got round to. Our freezer is very small, but we just deal with it.

Right now, I'd be buying a lot of fresh stuff - veg mainly - of which there is no shortage of supply at all, and cooking up and freezing sauces and the like.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016

You have repeatedly referred to 'two weeks extra' as the stockpile that you need.
Why?

Current advice is "You should remain at home until 7 days after the onset of your symptoms. After 7 days, if you feel better and no longer have a high temperature, you can return to your normal routine"

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Trouble is that overstocking causes prices to rise as business have to recoup the additional cost from the customer. Then they become uncompetitive and eventually go bust. It's another example of herd instinct.

Under the current system, yes. Maybe this will be the wake up call to Governments to regulate to cut the pressures to reduce costs and incentivise away from managing productivity as priority.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Me missus and three small children.
I've got the shits and there's only half a bog roll left. Currently got enough staples for possibly three days. Did start going shopping this morning but didn't want to fight past the hundreds who were already assembled before 10am for some hoarding.
At least half of them had enough personal fat reserves to get through a week of isolation.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
The vulnerable age groups, i.e. dying, are the over 70’s.

For everyone else it will be case of self isolating once your household has it. At most, it’s disputed, that’s two weeks, as you say.

There’s no need for non-elderly households to have huge volumes of loo rolls for example.

This is all very well if it's obvious that you have it. My biggest worry is not getting a cough or temperature but having coronavirus and not knowing it , having no symptoms or symptoms that are very very minor, and inadvertently spreading it. I'm following instructions best I can with handwashing, tissues, any coughing sneezing, social distancing etc.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Here in Spain we are on lockdown for 15 days (could be more) but luckily last week in Carrefour, Malaga, they had a San Miguel promotion on (3 for 2) so stocked up. Lidl's had a wine promotion the previous week so the racks well catered for - food? Well we are allowed out singularly to purchase food and there's not much panic buying, what there is seems to be in the coastal areas, visiting health centres, dentist etc., plus a few other exceptions including visiting the hairdressers! Yes, the hairdressers you say, well the government in their wisdom feel the infirm and disabled will not be able to wash their own hair so they made an exception.

Meanwhile we will keep on juicing the oranges, eating the grapefruit and squeezing the lemons, and this morning made 2 kilos of lime marmalade - just need the bread now.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
You have repeatedly referred to 'two weeks extra' as the stockpile that you need.
Why?

Current advice is "You should remain at home until 7 days after the onset of your symptoms. After 7 days, if you feel better and no longer have a high temperature, you can return to your normal routine"

In case one of my wife or I self isolated at the beginning of week 1 then the other subsequently develops a temperature. I am using my common sense and not relying on the current version of ever changing Government advice. My view is that two weeks is actually insufficient because if we have any symptoms we won’t be able to go out at all.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Pasta is “spic” food? I can’t work out if this ignorance is rooted in a lack of geographical knowledge or not having a full grasp of racial slurs...maybe both?

Since someone mentioned my 'ignore' thread this morning I am happy to confirm I have had that utter arsewater on ignore for some years. :shrug:

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I just bought two cans of corned beef. #guilty

In all seriousness though, Tesco this morning was rammed more than I’ve ever seen it before. I would imagine that amount of people together in the same place will be banned come Monday.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Once M&S has dealt with the initial rush it should be a good place to shop for food as most of its customers will be stuck at home :moo:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
We only shop a couple of days ahead. Wife was shocked when I bought a whole WEEK'S worth.

I am thinking about what isolation would be like with three kids, though.

I've just ordered an extra small TV/monitor. And ordered Disney+...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here