Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone Happy To Admit To Panic Buying/Stockpiling?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
We only shop a couple of days ahead. Wife was shocked when I bought a whole WEEK'S worth.

I am thinking about what isolation would be like with three kids, though.

I've just ordered an extra small TV/monitor. And ordered Disney+...

Disney+ UK launch date doesn't look like it couldn't have been any better planned!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Me missus and three small children.
I've got the shits and there's only half a bog roll left. Currently got enough staples for possibly three days. Did start going shopping this morning but didn't want to fight past the hundreds who were already assembled before 10am for some hoarding.
At least half of them had enough personal fat reserves to get through a week of isolation.

Time to think outside the bogs. Bypass the panic-buying gumbies and try your local Happy Shopper or similar small corner shop/convenience store. They have a sometimes warranted reputation for high prices, which means the gumbies rarely shop there. Which will work in your favour here. Besides, their bog rolls tend to have the recommended retail price printed on the side, so that's the price you'll pay. Hope you're on the mend soon. Cheers

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Bet you're counting down the days in your household!

I'm not - your post prompted me to remind myself of the actual launch date!

Let's hope their infrastructure is able to cope with the additional demand it will now be getting...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This is all very well if it's obvious that you have it. My biggest worry is not getting a cough or temperature but having coronavirus and not knowing it , having no symptoms or symptoms that are very very minor, and inadvertently spreading it. I'm following instructions best I can with handwashing, tissues, any coughing sneezing, social distancing etc.

I've had a viral infection for 4 months now. Went to the doc a few weeks ago and he told me to sod off as it is viral (antibiotics don't work) and I had no temperature (so I don't have a secondary bacterial infection). I actually started a thread on this, and several on here have been in the same boat - a cough that comes and goes (so, not cancer), congestion that lasts for weeks (I was deaf in one ear for a month).

**** knows what will happen if I get Cov. I'm hoping the b'stard will kill off the other bugger.

As for hoarding, we run a minimum store household - shop for fresh almost every days. So we have stocked up a bit, but it's futile really - just enough grub and bog roll for 2 weeks, in case we have to self isolate. There are olds on our street, and we are trying to work out how to keep them supplied without passing on the virus. Ironically we plan a meeting in someone's tiny hot living room tomorrow - probably best we do it instead on my windy patio. :lolol:

Stay as safe as you can, folks. If you are generally well and under 70 you will recover from Cov if (when) you catch it, but you will be a spreader. If you have overstocked, FFS give some of it to the poor old sod near you who is probably lonely and frightened right now, with all the arsedribble being spouted on the radio and tellybox.

Last edited:

Denis

Mar 25, 2013
Portslade
Just returned from Sainsbury’s West Hove, I don’t drive so it was a nice healthy walk both ways. What a waste of time! Absolute chaos there! I did the same yesterday, no toilet rolls, pasta etc.
I did manage to get rice and as there’s lots of lovely veg, I’m going to be living on stuffed peppers and stuffed courgettes. At 68 yrs. I might have to self isolate (please god no!) and female, (use much more loo roll than men!)
I had a online grocery order on Thursday, no toilet rolls sent, starting to worry! So all you greedy stockpilers, shame on you.

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
As the OP it's interesting to read through the thread.

I don't have any issue with people buying a bit extra - the deeper we get into this you just have to accept that it's a sensible move to build up a buffer. I think people that have been doing a bit of prepping for their own needs for some time have been the most sensible and possibly is the most altruistic since it has the least impact at the time of purchase and means that they are not needing to be part of the herd when the rush happens.

I don't think it is virtue signalling to express utter contempt and disgust for people profiteering, people going into a hospital and nicking hand sanitiser (I stand by my contempt here), people doing more than buying a bit extra and simply going mad down the shelves. I don't think it's virtue signalling to think about the combined effect of our individual behaviour on those who are most at risk and vulnerable at this time

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
As the OP it's interesting to read through the thread.

I don't have any issue with people buying a bit extra - the deeper we get into this you just have to accept that it's a sensible move to build up a buffer. I think people that have been doing a bit of prepping for their own needs for some time have been the most sensible and possibly is the most altruistic since it has the least impact at the time of purchase and means that they are not needing to be part of the herd when the rush happens.

I don't think it is virtue signalling to express utter contempt and disgust for people profiteering, people going into a hospital and nicking hand sanitiser (I stand by my contempt here), people doing more than buying a bit extra and simply going mad down the shelves. I don't think it's virtue signalling to think about the combined effect of our individual behaviour on those who are most at risk and vulnerable at this time

Agreed.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Tescos Holmbush is busier today than when at Xmas, madness panic buying beyond belief.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Been prepping since end of January as well as warning as many as possible(Scared a couple ofpeople so much they gave up smoking), was done stocking up by end of Feb, its not my fault if some people prefer the illusion of saftey. So when some finally wake up they instinctivly panic. Even now there are plenty of people claiming its just a type of flu.

Correct answer.

A very big distinction here that the virtue signallers are wilfully ignoring:

People looting the shelves now and the past few weeks = panic buying

People who saw the writing on the wall and quietly made stock orders online way way back in January = people who think several steps ahead in life. No panic whatsoever.

If you’re angry it’s understandable but you weren’t prepared. That’s cool, most people aren’t. Now you have to compete with the panic buyers who are a very different breed.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Went to my local corner shop as usual to get my paper he has still got everything. Pasta,Beans,Bog roll,hand wash etc. I don`t think we really needed it but he persuaded me to buy six bookers bog rolls for £1.19.(that`ll last me three months at 1/2roll week)

He has only had one person(not a regular customer) taking the piss, wanted to buy 120 bog rolls and he got very aggresive when told he couldn`t have them.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Here in Spain we are on lockdown for 15 days (could be more) but luckily last week in Carrefour, Malaga, they had a San Miguel promotion on (3 for 2) so stocked up. Lidl's had a wine promotion the previous week so the racks well catered for - food? Well we are allowed out singularly to purchase food and there's not much panic buying, what there is seems to be in the coastal areas, visiting health centres, dentist etc., plus a few other exceptions including visiting the hairdressers! Yes, the hairdressers you say, well the government in their wisdom feel the infirm and disabled will not be able to wash their own hair so they made an exception.

Meanwhile we will keep on juicing the oranges, eating the grapefruit and squeezing the lemons, and this morning made 2 kilos of lime marmalade - just need the bread now.
My mate went to Normandy Friday, supposed to be coming back tomorrow, what's his chances?

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Correct answer.

A very big distinction here that the virtue signallers are wilfully ignoring:

People looting the shelves now and the past few weeks = panic buying

People who saw the writing on the wall and quietly made stock orders online way way back in January = people who think several steps ahead in life. No panic whatsoever.

If you’re angry it’s understandable but you weren’t prepared. That’s cool, most people aren’t. Now you have to compete with the panic buyers who are a very different breed.

Disagree.

People buying ‘a little bit extra just in case’ is the first stage of panic buying.

You’re a panic buyer - own it.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Went to my local corner shop as usual to get my paper he has still got everything. Pasta,Beans,Bog roll,hand wash etc. I don`t think we really needed it but he persuaded me to buy six bookers bog rolls for £1.19.(that`ll last me three months at 1/2roll week)

He has only had one person(not a regular customer) taking the piss, wanted to buy 120 bog rolls and he got very aggresive when told he couldn`t have them.

The panic buyers are raiding the supermarkets (I saw a photo on Facebook of a bloke with two trolley loads of disposable nappies) leaving the small corner shops alone.
Our local Facebook group mentioned the small corner shops still having items available.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Disagree.

People buying ‘a little bit extra just in case’ is the first stage of panic buying.

You’re a panic buyer - own it.

Wrong. What people are doing now and the past few weeks is panic buying.

Calmly adding a few extra to an online order way back in January when covid 19 was still isolated to Asia was just thinking ahead of the herd. Some of us read up on the science reports and saw the potential severity.

Zero panic, zero harm to the supply chain and certainly no re-selling scams.

Whilst we were doing that there were morons openly flouting their ignorance laughing about this being ‘just a flu mate’ that wouldn’t do any harm to us in Europe. Some of these folk are undoubtedly the ones waking up late and are the cause of the panic.

Again, some people think ahead in life, others don’t.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here