Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Anthony Joshua

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
Sorry, can’t agree with you. Fury fought Wilder three times. Wilder was the most fearsome puncher in the World at the time of the first fight. Fury outboxed him in all three fights.
Yes, Fury is an enigma, and sometimes dislikeable personality, but he’s a great fighter.
AJ by comparison has beaten no good fighter in their prime. He’s massively PR hyped. In fairness he’s made loads of money from a brutal sport, but never a great fighter.
I was going to reply something similar, this more or less captures my opinion too.

AJ has got in the ring twice with Usyk and been comfortably outclassed by a man he should have a far superior size advantage over. He lacked a champions belief to win either of those fights. As soon as Usyk caught him once the fight was over mentally, AJ tried to box on the back foot and was always going to lose this way.

AJ would have regained a lot of respect if he fought Wilder now instead of Whyte. Whyte is tricky but still a much easier night than Wilder.

Finally, you said Tyson doesn’t have a resume. He beat Klitschko in his own back yard, and he’s fought Wilder 3 times, winning all three fights (first fight was never a draw)

Those 4 fights alone already give him a better resume than AJ.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Sorry, can’t agree with you. Fury fought Wilder three times. Wilder was the most fearsome puncher in the World at the time of the first fight. Fury outboxed him in all three fights.
Yes, Fury is an enigma, and sometimes dislikeable personality, but he’s a great fighter.
AJ by comparison has beaten no good fighter in their prime. He’s massively PR hyped. In fairness he’s made loads of money from a brutal sport, but never a great fighter.

Wilder is bang average and made for a mover like Fury.

Yes Wilder has dynamite power but he can't fight on the back foot, has no balance, no defence, horrible technique/form etc He was getting out boxed and rocked by guys like Szpilka and 80yr Ortiz before landing hellious KO's, all he has is that equaliser power. Great superhero power for a fighter.

We aren't disagreeing on a lot here.

I agree AJ was a massive P.R hype job, that's what put me off him at the beginning of his career. He was still getting the job done but he was on Sky 24/7 at the time, just spurting out clichés.

What has turned me into an AJ fan, isn't him as a boxer, it's him as fighter. Because yes he limited but at least he is willing to fight these guys (wilder, fury, usyk). He even seemly has Wilder locked in for December for a huge payday and is still fighting Whyte.

Wilder won't risk fighting Ruiz as the rumour suggests before December and Fury is fighting Francis Ngannou in an 'no loser' exhibition fight.

Yes Fury is a great fighter, the best of the bunch but he doesn't fight!

Who has Fury beat in their prime? Wlad was passed it and Fury was fighting him after failing a dope test which he kept it secret.

You look at AJ's career: Wlad (former champ), Parker (former champ), Whyte, Usyk (twice), Ruiz (twice), Takam, Povetkin, Brazeale (when he was undefeated).

Fury: Wlad (former champ), Wilder (three times/one draw), Whyte, Chisora (3rd fight, terrible fight shouldn't had been sanctioned), Wallin?, Schwartz?, Seferi?, Pianeta?, Cunningham? How about him been given a robbery win over McDermott?

Fury is the best of the lot but has a weaker C.V than AJ, it's not even debatable.

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
I would say Fury's resume is slightly better. He beat a better version of Wlad in Germany. And Wilder a lot better likes of the over-hyped Parker. Ruiz is very average, Brazale is low-level, Takam is absolutely bang average. The old age past it Povetkin is not a bad W but it's not close to peak Wilder.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
I would say Fury's resume is slightly better. He beat a better version of Wlad in Germany. And Wilder a lot better likes of the over-hyped Parker. Ruiz is very average, Brazale is low-level, Takam is absolutely bang average. The old age past it Povetkin is not a bad W but it's not close to peak Wilder.

What makes Wilder's resume good? it's terrible too. He just has lights out power.

The Brazeale he beat was 4 year passed AJ, Sterverne hadn't fought for 3 years and was grossly overweight the 2nd time he fought Wilder, didn't throw one punch and was still sanctioned to fight for Wilder's WBC title! The first time he went the distance with Wilder.

Malik Scott and Audley Harrison basically threw their fights and jumped on the floor.

AJ fought Jason Gavern in his 10th fight! Wilder in his 31st.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Agree that Wilder has bad boxing technique. However, at the time Fury first fought him, he had a real fear factor for his ferocious punching power.
As you say, I think we agree more than disagree.

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
What makes Wilder's resume good, it's terrible too. He just has lights out power.

The Brazeale he beat was 4 year passed AJ, Sterverne hadn't fought for 3 years and was grossly overweight the 2nd time he fought Wilder and was still sanctioned to fight for Wilder's WBC title! The first time he went the distance with Wilder.

Malik Scott and Audley Harrison basically threw their fights and jumped on the floor.

AJ fought Jason Gavern in his 10th fight! Wilder in his 31st.
Wilder resume is obviously below both AJ and Fury, but I do I rate the Ortiz W's. Everyone ducked Ortiz, and I argue that Ortiz 2018 version that Wilder fought would have given AJ hell.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Wilder resume is obviously below both AJ and Fury, but I do I rate the Ortiz W's. Everyone ducked Ortiz, and I argue that Ortiz 2018 version that Wilder fought would have given AJ hell.

AJ had beaten Wlad and host of others by 2018 and AJ still had his confidence and was willing to let his hands go more. So I think he would had dealt with Ortiz as Ortiz was old as hell.

Even in the 2nd Ortiz fight Wilder was wobbled and nearly KO'd though, so it would had been an interesting fight, especially if it was a few years earlier.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Agree that Wilder has bad boxing technique. However, at the time Fury first fought him, he had a real fear factor for his ferocious punching power.
As you say, I think we agree more than disagree.

Yeah and he still does. I think him and AJ is shoot out based solely off both their chins and Wilder's power.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
Agree the first Ortiz win is under rated. That was Wilder’s first fight that some tipped him to lose

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
Yeah and he still does. I think him and AJ is shoot out based solely off both their chins and Wilder's power.
Agreed. Joshua wins every round the fight goes against Wilder. But if Wilder’s right hand connects it’s over

Garyoldfan

Jun 14, 2023
Wilder is a great ‘puncher’ but not boxer. Can’t fight off the back foot. I always had my doubts about him. Took him until his 34 fight to fight for the title which is unheard of these days. I think there was a reason for that. Not taking anything away from the wins for fury but I just think the fights with wilder and a stinker against Klit won’t hold him in the all time top 10 heavyweights if he doesn’t fight usyk and AJ. And remember he’s turned these fights down !

Garyoldfan

Jun 14, 2023
I was going to reply something similar, this more or less captures my opinion too.

AJ has got in the ring twice with Usyk and been comfortably outclassed by a man he should have a far superior size advantage over. He lacked a champions belief to win either of those fights. As soon as Usyk caught him once the fight was over mentally, AJ tried to box on the back foot and was always going to lose this way.

AJ would have regained a lot of respect if he fought Wilder now instead of Whyte. Whyte is tricky but still a much easier night than Wilder.

Finally, you said Tyson doesn’t have a resume. He beat Klitschko in his own back yard, and he’s fought Wilder 3 times, winning all three fights (first fight was never a draw)

Those 4 fights alone already give him a better resume than AJ.
They do BUT how good is Wilder ? What if he’s just a puncher who’s been caught out. Remember he was well behind to an aging an overweight Ortiz before he knocked him out. And his resume isn’t great.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
They do BUT how good is Wilder ? What if he’s just a puncher who’s been caught out. Remember he was well behind to an aging an overweight Ortiz before he knocked him out. And his resume isn’t great.
Wilder loses pretty much every round he fights against anyone, his boxing skills aren’t there all all. That’s what makes him such an enigma because if he hits you once with the right hand you’re on the canvas. It’s probably the most devastating right hand in the history of boxing, I don’t think I’m over exaggerating there either when you consider how bad he is technically and then his record. All because he has a massive punch.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
By the time they fight Wilder will be a 38yo who has won once in four years.
It’s a diminished fight.
This is the consequence of the heavyweights dicking around for years on end.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Apart from Wilder, who are the other “good fighter in their prime.” Fury has fought?

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
AJ has always been held to higher standards than other fighters because of the hype around him and the fact that for some reason we expect instance success over here and especially from our Olympians.

Wilder by comparison was still fighting journeymen until his 33 fight when he won the world championship. Imagine the uproar in this country if Joshua had such a protected career!

Joshua by comparison has only had pro 28 fights up to this point, only started boxing when he was 18 and fought for a world title after only 15 pro fights! It's quite remarkable what he has achieved really when you look at it objectively.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
AJ deserves more respect than he generally gets. Regardless of hype and his limitations he was the one genuinely trying to achieve greatness by unifying the division. Taking up boxing at 18 and 10 years later being an olympic gold medalist and multiple world heavyweight title holding champion is pretty decent by anyone's standards. That, ultimately, he's been found to be wanting shouldn't take away from his achievements. The fact that Wilder and Fury have been able to earn the money they have is in very large part down to AJ and his hype.

Fury deserves the respect of being the best of the lot and for his remarkable comeback from the depths of depression and where he was mentally and physically. He does very much pick and choose his fights though, only fighting the big fights when he has to.

Wilder is a joke and deserves no repsect beyond that that all boxers deserve. He has one proper name on his resume and that name beat him three times.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Nearly showtime, come on AJ!!!

:clap:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here