Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Anthony Joshua

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
It's a strange one isn't it, those who are honest enough to pay probably get stung with higher prices to compensate for all the free streamers which probably then drives more to search for free streams. There will be huge interest in this, AJ is still the most popular fighter in the country, wonder what they will charge? Going rate seems to be £29.95, wonder if they will up this to £34.95?
Gareth A Davies confirmed on you tube yesterday it’s £26.95, a tall order for a non title fight?

Bizarrely whilst he was no Mystic Meg, Tony Millard called this as far back as the Autumn of 1998 in the car on the way to Gillingham, it was in the wake of BBC losing the Test Match coverage and the talk was that the world was going to end, but Mr 0898 stated we’d been cocooned in this country for years with sports TV coverage, he said in 20 years time, ie 2018, everyone would have to pay to watch every live major TV sporting event. He wasn’t wrong, when you analyse it we basically pay for everything of note sport wise either through PPV or monthly subscriptions, other than ‘The Crown Jewels’ free to air stuff, which ironically Test Cricket used to be part of.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Gareth A Davies confirmed on you tube yesterday it’s £26.95, a tall order for a non title fight?

Bizarrely whilst he was no Mystic Meg, Tony Millard called this as far back as the Autumn of 1998 in the car on the way to Gillingham, it was in the wake of BBC losing the Test Match coverage and the talk was that the world was going to end, but Mr 0898 stated we’d been cocooned in this country for years with sports TV coverage, he said in 20 years time, ie 2018, everyone would have to pay to watch every live major TV sporting event. He wasn’t wrong, when you analyse it we basically pay for everything of note sport wise either through PPV or monthly subscriptions, other than ‘The Crown Jewels’ free to air stuff, which ironically Test Cricket used to be part of.
I think it will sell extremely well, no one should underestimate the enduring popularity of AJ amongst hardcore and casual sports fans.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I think AJs popularity has wained dramatically because of his poor performances and the fact that the big British clash never happened. Maybe it can if AJ can smash White

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
I think AJs popularity has wained dramatically because of his poor performances and the fact that the big British clash never happened. Maybe it can if AJ can smash White
It will probably end up being the biggest fight that never happened. I can’t see Fury getting back in the ring at all now unfortunately

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Disagree. I’d say AJ is almost exclusively followed now by casuals.
Very much this! The only fight anyone really wants to see with AJ is a ' Battle of Britain ' with Fury. However, the politics around that is tiresome plus Fury seems to want to squeeze some more cash out of other fights rather than fight AJ or Usyk where the former has a puncher's chance and the latter has skills to win on points.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
Very much this! The only fight anyone really wants to see with AJ is a ' Battle of Britain ' with Fury. However, the politics around that is tiresome plus Fury seems to want to squeeze some more cash out of other fights rather than fight AJ or Usyk where the former has a puncher's chance and the latter has skills to win on points.
Agree. Fury is ducking Usyk no doubt. I do feel for AJ he’s been badly coached in my opinion. Not sure why they ever tried to make him a boxer. His power and size was what made him so amazing. Unfortunately he has never recovered from the first Ruiz fight and now tries to box to protect his questionable chin.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think people are now starting to see through Fury now. It's certainly looking more like he is dodging AJ and Usyk now.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Disagree. I’d say AJ is almost exclusively followed now by casuals.

No actual boxing fans appreciate that he had the b@llocks to get in the ring with Usyk (his mandatory) twice, back to back, even though he lost and was well outclassed both times.

Thankfully casual fans are waking up to Fury's shtick and see he is the problem big fights don't get made.

I was never AJ's biggest fan as he was too media trained and limited but my respect (and most boxing fans) respect for him has gone up massively in the last few years, no matter how limited he is as a boxer he is willing to fight everyone.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not sure I'd agree with this. This whole heavyweight mess of fights being hard to arrange, fights people want not happening etc, seems to dat back to Wilder ducking AJ, and going for a less dangerous opponent (and yes, we all know he got that one seriously wrong!) My preference would be for AJ to finally catch up with Wilder and knock him out.
Aon't gonna happen though - and even if it did, AJ sadly isn't anywhere near the levels he once was.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think people are now starting to see through Fury now. It's certainly looking more like he is dodging AJ and Usyk now.
I seem to like the word now.

Garyoldfan

Jun 14, 2023
Let’s not overthink this fight. Fury vs AJ is not happening so the next best fight is a nice grudge match with lively build up and a punchers chance for both. Just enjoy it. As for the price, listen to it on the wireless, can often be better than watching it.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Don‘t waste £27.
Boxing translates beautifully to radio.
If you‘re over 40, try gently dozing off listening to the fight.
By the time you wake up the best bits are on youtube anyway.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
No actual boxing fans appreciate that he had the b@llocks to get in the ring with Usyk (his mandatory) twice, back to back, even though he lost and was well outclassed both times.

Thankfully casual fans are waking up to Fury's shtick and see he is the problem big fights don't get made.

I was never AJ's biggest fan as he was too media trained and limited but my respect (and most boxing fans) respect for him has gone up massively in the last few years, no matter how limited he is as a boxer he is willing to fight everyone.
Couldn’t disagree more. He’s been hyped as a media darling and his true personality has shown after the Usyk defeats imo.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Couldn’t disagree more. He’s been hyped as a media darling and his true personality has shown after the Usyk defeats imo.

First off I used to be a huge Fury fan. Now I cant stand him tbh.

I said the reason I was never a fan of AJ on his come up was because he was so carefully media trained and also overhyped BUT it's irrelevant as they are fighters. So looking at him as a fighter, he is a fighter.

My stance on AJ changed around 2018, after Fury drew to Wilder and AJ/Hearn made a huge offer and made an huge effort to fight Wilder and Wilder turned it down (and tried to claim AJ was ducking him)....... Then Wilder shot himself in the foot with this Tweet:

AJ then tried to get the Fury fight sorted back in 2019/2020whatever it was, Hearn had it all sorted with Saudi, site fees sorted etc as Fury/Warren/Arum said the arbitration with Wilder wasn't an issue 'blah, blah, blah' all the fans excited as both AJ/Fury were unbeaten then and it would FINALLY be for the undisputed heavyweight crown........... Fury (as him and the team knew along) lost the arbitration and laughed at Hearn and AJ 'hahaha we pulled your trousers down' etc we are fighting Wilder again for the 3rd time instead. Great you got one over on AJ/Hearn but the lose out after being buzzing that the fight was actually FINALLY going to happen.

So AJ then fights Usyk back to back.

Say what you want about AJ, the guys makes fights happens, he's tried to make the Wilder after he drew to Fury, before Fury beat him twice, he tried to make the Fury fight back in 2019/2020. Fury tried to get one over by offering a stupid offer just weeks after AJ lost to Usyk.

Fury has always been the problem in making fights happen. Either in negotiations or pulling out last minute.

Usyk goes to everyone's backyard and fights them. AJ always willing to make fights happen. Fury has turned a blagger and social media clown and if you look back on his career he's always been awkward to deal with, even back to when he ducked David Price.

In all honesty his heavyweight record as champ is terrible too, he failed a doping test before fighting Wlad, beat him, went missing for 2 years serving his ban and mental health issues, came back fought two warm ups, drew to Wilder, had another warm up, beat Wilder twice, then reluctantly made a meal of getting the Whyte fight over the line then fought Chisora for the 3rd time. His record is terrible for what HE CLAIMS to be, 'one of the greatest of all time', no chance with his record. He has the skill but not the resume.

Yes Fury is the best heavyweight......................... he doesn't fight anyone though. Wilder doesn't fight anyone. AJ is active and wants to fight everyone. Usyk same as AJ wants to fight everyone, he's gone to everyones backyard from cruiserweight to heavyweight fighting on the road often taking the smaller of the two purses.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
First off I used to be a huge Fury fan. Now I cant stand him tbh.

I said the reason I was never a fan of AJ on his come up was because he was so carefully media trained and also overhyped BUT it's irrelevant as they are fighters. So looking at him as a fighter, he is a fighter.

My stance on AJ changed around 2018, after Fury drew to Wilder and AJ/Hearn made a huge offer and made an huge effort to fight Wilder and Wilder turned it down (and tried to claim AJ was ducking him)....... Then Wilder shot himself in the foot with this Tweet:

AJ then tried to get the Fury fight sorted back in 2019/2020whatever it was, Hearn had it all sorted with Saudi, site fees sorted etc as Fury/Warren/Arum said the arbitration with Wilder wasn't an issue 'blah, blah, blah' all the fans excited as both AJ/Fury were unbeaten then and it would FINALLY be for the undisputed heavyweight crown........... Fury (as him and the team knew along) lost the arbitration and laughed at Hearn and AJ 'hahaha we pulled your trousers down' etc we are fighting Wilder again for the 3rd time instead. Great you got one over on AJ/Hearn but the lose out after being buzzing that the fight was actually FINALLY going to happen.

So AJ then fights Usyk back to back.

Say what you want about AJ, the guys makes fights happens, he's tried to make the Wilder after he drew to Fury, before Fury beat him twice, he tried to make the Fury fight back in 2019/2020. Fury tried to get one over by offering a stupid offer just weeks after AJ lost to Usyk.

Fury has always been the problem in making fights happen. Either in negotiations or pulling out last minute.

Usyk goes to everyone's backyard and fights them. AJ always willing to make fights happen. Fury has turned a blagger and social media clown and if you look back on his career he's always been awkward to deal with, even back to when he ducked David Price.

In all honesty his heavyweight record as champ is terrible too, he failed a doping test before fighting Wlad, beat him, went missing for 2 years serving his ban and mental health issues, came back fought two warm ups, drew to Wilder, had another warm up, beat Wilder twice, then reluctantly made a meal of getting the Whyte fight over the line then fought Chisora for the 3rd time. His record is terrible for what HE CLAIMS to be, 'one of the greatest of all time', no chance with his record. He has the skill but not the resume.

Yes Fury is the best heavyweight......................... he doesn't fight anyone though. Wilder doesn't fight anyone. AJ is active and wants to fight everyone. Usyk same as AJ wants to fight everyone, he's gone to everyones backyard from cruiserweight to heavyweight fighting on the road often taking the smaller of the two purses.

Sorry, can’t agree with you. Fury fought Wilder three times. Wilder was the most fearsome puncher in the World at the time of the first fight. Fury outboxed him in all three fights.
Yes, Fury is an enigma, and sometimes dislikeable personality, but he’s a great fighter.
AJ by comparison has beaten no good fighter in their prime. He’s massively PR hyped. In fairness he’s made loads of money from a brutal sport, but never a great fighter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here