Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Another UKIP rascist remark

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Use your brain, saying let's get an Indian or let's get a Chinese is fine because they're not derogatory terms,

but nor is "Chinky". its just a casual (and faily pointless) shortening. it has been decreed that it should be considered offensive to tidy up alongside other actually rascist epithets

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
This thread is brilliant.
A UKIP couple are offended by comments from a UKIP MEP about the wife.

The UKIP MEP has made herself, and her party look ridiculous again. People laugh.

NSC UKIP support is .....offended.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I can't quite get my head around this. UKIP who have many black and Asian candidates, are racist.....the woman who is Thai is a member of UKIP (the racist party) is not offended, but her husband (also a member of the racist party) and presumably not Thai....is offended.........Mmmmm.
Where does it say (apart from in the minds of PC ultras) that UKIP are racists?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Its not ignorant...I love the way that people presume that saying"going to a paki shop"is racist.Its not actually racist as its short for "Pakistani shop"facks sake.
You're basically calling everyone a racist because they use these common phrases regarding local shops..Its not being ignorant and its not being racist.
You're not being horribly racist because you mean no harm, but it is hugely ignorant to not realise those terms have died out in our society now

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
but nor is "Chinky". its just a casual (and faily pointless) shortening. it has been decreed that it should be considered offensive to tidy up alongside other actually rascist epithets

Laughable isn't it, we have gone from genuinely racist names to lumping in a term that has been used for many years, has no offense to colour, religion or whatever.....I am going for a Chinky....a Chinky.....a loose term, known and accepted for many many years without malice or a thought of it being racist....until the usual suspects deem it to be offensive.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
So if "Chinky" and "Paki" are offensive are we not allowed to use "Yanks", "Aussies" or any abbreviated nationality term?

Should I be offended if someone called me a "Brit"?

What about if an American called me "Limey" or a German calls me "Tommy"

What I would find offensive [as a Brit] is someone calling me a Yank or an Aussie .....

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

I grew up in a small Sussex village in the 1960s, with two Asian foster sisters, and one Asian foster brother, who were Indian nationality. I have seen the upset, and grief that 'trivial' racist remarks can cause to young people, who only want to fit in with their peers. When people say this and that isn't racist,it doesn't matter what they think, it is what the target of their abuse thinks. I heard, more or less on a daily basis words like ******, wog, coon, and paki, aimed at my brother and sisters by not only kids who knew no better,but adults as well, and on one occasion,a school teacher. Thankfully things have improved a bit now.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Laughable isn't it, we have gone from genuinely racist names to lumping in a term that has been used for many years, has no offense to colour, religion or whatever.....I am going for a Chinky....a Chinky.....a loose term, known and accepted for many many years without malice or a thought of it being racist....until the usual suspects deem it to be offensive.
The word ni**er was used for many years and was widely accepted, there's no difference

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
You're not being horribly racist because you mean no harm, but it is hugely ignorant to not realise those terms have died out in our society now
They haven't died out in society....its very common to use them as i do still.Im not ignorant or racist and don't see these abbreviations as racist...that's the whole point.

The obsession with calling people ignorant over certain things is ignorance in itself!!!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Its not ignorant...I love the way that people presume that saying"going to a paki shop"is racist.Its not actually racist as its short for "Pakistani shop"facks sake.
You're basically calling everyone a racist because they use these common phrases regarding local shops..Its not being ignorant and its not being racist.

It's not a common phrase any more, because most people understand it is not a nice term to use.

It is considered racist because it was appropriated by racists in the 60s, 70s and 80s and so became linked intrinsically with racism and the violence that associated it, and because it was used indiscriminately towards anyone Asian with dark skin, whether they were from Pakistan, India, Bangladesh, or Sri Lanka. Since then society generally came to accept that it will have those racist connotations for some time yet.

The whole 'it's short for Pakistani' argument is probably as ignorant of the history of language (and racism) as the "I don't get upset when people call me white" argument is with derogatory use of the word 'black'

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
They haven't died out in society....its very common to use them as i do still.Im not ignorant or racist and don't see these abbreviations as racist...that's the whole point.

The obsession with calling people ignorant over certain things is ignorance in itself!!!

Sorry, I agree with wrong direction,you are ignorant if you can't see the upset your jolly little abbreviations cause

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
It's not a common phrase any more, because most people understand it is not a nice term to use.

It is considered racist because it was appropriated by racists in the 60s, 70s and 80s and so became linked intrinsically with racism and the violence that associated it, and because it was used indiscriminately towards anyone Asian with dark skin, whether they were from Pakistan, India, Bangladesh, or Sri Lanka. Since then society generally came to accept that it will have those racist connotations for some time yet.

The whole 'it's short for Pakistani' argument is probably as ignorant of the history of language (and racism) as the "I don't get upset when people call me white" argument is with derogatory use of the word 'black'
Well said

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
The word ni**er was used for many years and was widely accepted, there's no difference

Er, maybe widely accepted by some....did you bother to read my post before replying?....as stated "Laughable isn't it, we have gone from genuinely racist names"
The difference is, my young friend, one is referring to colour, the other is not reffering to colour/religion or anything that could be deemed as racist...except for those that really want to see racism in everything.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I grew up in a small Sussex village in the 1960s, with two Asian foster sisters, and one Asian foster brother, who were Indian nationality. I have seen the upset, and grief that 'trivial' racist remarks can cause to young people, who only want to fit in with their peers.

but if a term isnt racist, why do we retrospectivly decide that its considered as such? my point isnt about acceptance, its that "chinky" hasnt been considered offensive until very recently, though i'd be interested to see the evidence to the contrary.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If you feel the need to call an establishment a 'chinky' or 'paki' shop you are just an ignorant idiot. Any excuse to separate yourself from 'them' in order to make your superiority complex more stronger. You are not better than them. You are equally the same. Go ****k yourself.
Complete load of bollocks of the year award.

Although it is politically correct, in every pathetic detail.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here