Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Another UKIP rascist remark

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I grew up in a small Sussex village in the 1960s, with two Asian foster sisters, and one Asian foster brother, who were Indian nationality. I have seen the upset, and grief that 'trivial' racist remarks can cause to young people, who only want to fit in with their peers. When people say this and that isn't racist,it doesn't matter what they think, it is what the target of their abuse thinks. I heard, more or less on a daily basis words like ******, wog, coon, and paki, aimed at my brother and sisters by not only kids who knew no better,but adults as well, and on one occasion,a school teacher. Thankfully things have improved a bit now.
It was common back then...in those days it was the unknown turning up in a white country and we all know people fear the unknown.Yes times have naturally changed but sometimes in modern society i feel that other race's really do dramatize things as they know they'll win in a court of law.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
You're not being horribly racist because you mean no harm, but it is hugely ignorant to not realise those terms have died out in our society now

I'm not trying to be rude here but after reading this thread you come across as someone who is a sanctimonious prat. People of all ages live in this country and they all have an opinion but I guess your attitude derives from the education you have had. That education being somewhat diluted by liberal loons who shout down opposing views and brainwash the young into accepting without question that this country should automatically accept uncontrolled multiculturalism and immigration. You are told that anyone who disagrees with that are racist and it seems you firmly believe that. Fair enough keep on being so closed minded, no problem, I guess the young will inherit the country and at least you'll be happy with it huh? Oh and by the way, it's hugely ignorant to just spout mantra instead of listening too!

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
As I've said this is all an era thing, its not bad that people still believe its ok because you've grown up doing it, luckily as each generation comes through we are slowly getting shot of these terms

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
but if a term isnt racist, why do we retrospectivly decide that its considered as such? my point isnt about acceptance, its that "chinky" hasnt been considered offensive until very recently, though i'd be interested to see the evidence to the contrary.

http://www.examiner.com/article/when-did-chink-become-a-racial-slur

The phrase, 'chink in the armor' is some 600 years old. The word 'chink' meant 'slit' or 'narrow opening' --a weak spot-- and dates back to circa 1350-1400. Six-hundred years ago, soldiers wore armor. If the armor had a narrow opening in it, it was a weak spot which enemies tried to take advantage of.

It's first usage as a racial slur occurred somewhere around 1900-1905, or earlier. The narrow opening of Asian American eyes seems to be one derivative. Others suggest that it derived from the sound of working on the railroad, when metal of a hammer hitting the rail gave off a "chink" sound. The labor of Chinese immigrants was instrumental in the building of railway lines and the nation's expansion westward. It was around this time that Chinese immigration was perceived as a threat to the American way of life, which triggered a wave of anti-Asian xenophobia.​

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
these people are supposed to be educated, they are I am afraid idiots, who think that Bongo-Bongo Land has borders with Ting-Tong Land , well I tell there are no such places ..................only in their minds, filthy racists

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I'm not trying to be rude here but after reading this thread you come across as someone who is a sanctimonious prat. People of all ages live in this country and they all have an opinion but I guess your attitude derives from the education you have had. That education being somewhat diluted by liberal loons who shout down opposing views and brainwash the young into accepting without question that this country should automatically accept uncontrolled multiculturalism and immigration. You are told that anyone who disagrees with that are racist and it seems you firmly believe that. Fair enough keep on being so closed minded, no problem, I guess the young will inherit the country and at least you'll be happy with it huh? Oh and by the way, it's hugely ignorant to just spout mantra instead of listening too!
Ha do you happen to ride a bike?
[emoji468] [emoji598] [emoji590] [emoji592] [emoji595] [emoji594] [emoji604] [emoji600] [emoji603] [emoji597]

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
but if a term isnt racist, why do we retrospectivly decide that its considered as such? my point isnt about acceptance, its that "chinky" hasnt been considered offensive until very recently, though i'd be interested to see the evidence to the contrary.

There has recently been minority groups in society taking back derogatory terms, and using them, themselves, i.e. queer by homosexuals, ****** by black people. The term chinky is just casual racism, pointing out that Chinese people are different from us 'normal ' people so as to make them inferior in some way. If your fiancee was of Chinese extraction would you call your prospective in laws ,Chinky, to their face the first time you met them? I doubt it, because it would be extremely rude and you would offend them, as it is seen as a racist term, and it doesn't matter that you think it isn't, it what they think

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
[emoji468] [emoji598] [emoji590] [emoji592] [emoji595] [emoji594] [emoji604] [emoji600] [emoji603] [emoji597]

Yep, your wife or girlfriend, I think that's her anyway. :D

Oh shit, please forgive me I need to edit this in case your gay, I meant partner. Jeez I really must get with the times huh?

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

this isnt evidence, its speculative and uses references that are circular and self referencing. i'd expect (and did look up before posting) clear refernce to its history as a derogatroy term, but this is missing.

There has recently been minority groups in society taking back derogatory terms, and using them, themselves, i.e. queer by homosexuals, ****** by black people. The term chinky is just casual racism, pointing out that Chinese people are different from us 'normal ' people so as to make them inferior in some way. If your fiancee was of Chinese extraction would you call your prospective in laws ,Chinky, to their face the first time you met them? I doubt it, because it would be extremely rude and you would offend them, as it is seen as a racist term, and it doesn't matter that you think it isn't, it what they think

such a contrived example. thats like asking if you'd call you inlaws from Yorkshire "northern" to their face when you met. how would that come up? or Scottish. or Yank. in anycase i would call a person a chinky and wasnt saying anyone does, thats not the context i was using in the first place. "chinky" would be a chinese takeaway, like chippy. which is probably most likely its root, as a casual slang.

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 22389

As I've said this is all an era thing, its not bad that people still believe its ok because you've grown up doing it, luckily as each generation comes through we are slowly getting shot of these terms

So do we have to like and agree with everything, the answer is no. As each generation comes we are slowly getting shot of these terms? Bit disrespectful that comment.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Maybe he / she does. So now you can call him / her a cyclist, a derogative term in many people's minds (motorists, for example). So just remember how fantastically PC you are, and stop branding other people with perjorative terms.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

To some people (naming no names) it's more about what you think than what they think

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Maybe he / she does. So now you can call him / her a cyclist, a derogative term in many people's minds (motorists, for example). So just remember how fantastically PC you are, and stop branding other people with perjorative terms.
Haha considering you lot are probably all twice the age of me if not more you really are all thick as sh!t

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
So do we have to like and agree with everything, the answer is no. As each generation comes we are slowly getting shot of these terms? Bit disrespectful that comment.

Wrong Direction is only young, please forgive the narrow minded, self opinionated child unless he, what do they say, 'disses you' of course!...:lolol:

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Thats hour opinion pal,but clearly anything related to cultural society means you're deemed ignorant and racist.

So sir...who am i upsetting if i say to a mate im going to a paki shop ?

You are really thick if you can't see that in modern society this expression is racist to most people of asian descent, because of the historical use of it as a term of abuse by white racist gangs in the sixties and seventies. Also, beleive it or not, most non Pakistanis dont like it cos they're not pakis (your word, not mine)

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Wrong Direction is only young, please forgive the narrow minded, self opinionated child unless he, what do they say, 'disses you' of course!...:lolol:
I might be young but at least I know how to speak to all nationalities with dignity

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here