[Albion] Andy Naylor should be renamed…

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Add this to the tiresome (and ever lengthening) list of people Albion fans don't think praise us enough. Naylor does a decent enough job, gets more right than he does wrong and sometimes gives a it back after generally suffering constant abuse from Brighton fans on Twitter. I often think that he's too "snippy" in his responses, but I'm also not on the end of hundreds of critical responses.

The comment yesterday about it being "sad" that Bruno was booed is a prime example. It is sad that a club legend is being booed on his return. It's hardly even that emotive, but people get so sensitive at anything they perceive to be anti-their-Brighton-narrative that they just have to have a pop. Now, it's their right to have their own narrative and fair play for being passionate about it (by golly do they voice it enough) but come on, stop being so sensitive.

If you don't like Naylor, block him, unfollow him, get your transfer news and opinion pieces elsewhere. No one is forcing anyone to read what he puts out.
As many have said the booing was a bit of panto it worked we got the win and rattled Chelsea. If Naylor can’t read the room it’s not the fans issue it’s his.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Add this to the tiresome (and ever lengthening) list of people Albion fans don't think praise us enough. Naylor does a decent enough job, gets more right than he does wrong and sometimes gives a it back after generally suffering constant abuse from Brighton fans on Twitter. I often think that he's too "snippy" in his responses, but I'm also not on the end of hundreds of critical responses.

The comment yesterday about it being "sad" that Bruno was booed is a prime example. It is sad that a club legend is being booed on his return. It's hardly even that emotive, but people get so sensitive at anything they perceive to be anti-their-Brighton-narrative that they just have to have a pop. Now, it's their right to have their own narrative and fair play for being passionate about it (by golly do they voice it enough) but come on, stop being so sensitive.

If you don't like Naylor, block him, unfollow him, get your transfer news and opinion pieces elsewhere. No one is forcing anyone to read what he puts out.
Actually, for me, this nails it. From a sensible poster, copper and ex NSC moderator

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
As many have said the booing was a bit of panto it worked we got the win and rattled Chelsea. If Naylor can’t read the room it’s not the fans issue it’s his.
I just didn't think it was a case of reading the room or otherwise, just passing comment that it's sad to see Bruno booed. You're right though, the booing was real panto stuff and did a) spur us on and b) seemingly destroyed Cucurella.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
I just didn't think it was a case of reading the room or otherwise, just passing comment that it's sad to see Bruno booed. You're right though, the booing was real panto stuff and did a) spur us on and b) seemingly destroyed Cucurella.
Some players can take it, some can’t. Worry for Cuca is that other teams fans could take note of this……

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Posting it he knew exactly what he was doing was it really that sad what did the Chelsea six expect? A day after we hammer Leicester they all took about ten minutes to decide to piss off to Chelsea. Lack of respect to our owner who stood by Bruno when his playing days were over, stood by Potter gave him a six year deal effectively giving him job security a big confidence boost and probably a pay rise on the first deal. Chelsea wave more money and off they go f*** you Tony.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
For a bit of joy watch Ronald Collante's excellent

Plenty of insights into some of the most entitled supporters in the country and the sheer joy of giving them a well deserved pasting.

However it doesn't hurt to sometimes hold up the mirror. Much as it hurts to lose so many from our back room, the likes of Bruno and Roberts may well return one day. I hope they will always feel welcome and appreciated and I hope the booing is out of everyone's system now.

Sitting in the Upper East it is hard to comment on the abuse that triggered Naylor, but when we left the ground around 45 minutes after kick off, there were a couple of youths loudly singing Chelsea are F'ing see you next Tuesdays, all the way down to the station. If a Chelsea fan had taken exception and decided to give them a slap, how many would have felt the need to step in and defend the young ladies in question?

The state of some of those 'fans' about 4'30 in. I know I'm getting old but it's increasingly hard to fathom why we just accept large groups of aggressive blokes parading through public areas well away from the ground spewing abuse at full volume. Women, kids and general bystanders having to listen to morons calling people c**ts, sp****cs and chanting 'Brighton bum boys' while surrounded by police who know getting involved is not worth the aggro. I know plenty of our lot are no better and I enjoy the tribalism INSIDE the stadium as much as anyone, but some of this stuff really hacks me off.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
The state of some of those 'fans' about 4'30 in. I know I'm getting old but it's increasingly hard to fathom why we just accept large groups of aggressive blokes parading through public areas well away from the ground spewing abuse at full volume. Women, kids and general bystanders having to listen to morons calling people c**ts, sp****cs and chanting 'Brighton bum boys' while surrounded by police who know getting involved is not worth the aggro. I know plenty of our lot are no better and I enjoy the tribalism INSIDE the stadium as much as anyone, but some of this stuff really hacks me off.
Whether it is "worth the aggro" or not, the police are paid to do a job. Part of that job is to prevent hate speech. That they clearly couldn't be arsed to do the job they are paid for says as much about the old bill as it does about the Chelsea fans.

Brighton fans, and residents and visitors not engaged with the game, don't deserve to be exposed to this kind of behaviour but if the OB CBA....... :shrug:

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
….to “Shoes” because he’s so far up Potter’s arse that’s all you can see.

:moo:
In his defence he's had to be like that with every Albion manager, it's his job.

I do recall Peter Taylor refusing to start the post match press conference at the Withdean once until Andy had left after The Argus ran something PT didn't like.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
In his defence he's had to be like that with every Albion manager, it's his job.

I do recall Peter Taylor refusing to start the post match press conference at the Withdean once until Andy had left after The Argus ran something PT didn't like.
100% with current manager and with PB/TB or he's not going to be able to fill his column, so to speak.

Not so much with former ones though, especially when he's essentially defending yet another raid on our back room or having another snidey pop at fans who've just had probably their best time at football since the last time we beat Palace?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

He has to be like that you say, then you give an immediate example of when he wasn't, he was also not a fan of Dean Wilkins, a bit on off with McGhee, right up Poyets backside, he clearly has had favourites and it they guys he likes get nicer treatment, it's human nature, but it isn't objective.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
He's totally misread the room on the whole Potter/Chelsea situation, as others have said.

Seems to completely misunderstand what it is to be a Brighton fan.

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
He's not just a dull writer, he's really dull on today's Totally Football Show Podcast, despite the excitable promptings of James Richardson. Rarely breaks out of a monotone. Definitely stronger with the written word than the spoken one. But that's not saying much at all.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I think his articles are OK, but I'm not a fan of his Twitter.

Maybe I'll just only follow him on Twitter during transfer windows - I'll see how it goes.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

In those humble times, did that just leave a pensioner from the Sussex Gazette?

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
He's not just a dull writer, he's really dull on today's Totally Football Show Podcast, despite the excitable promptings of James Richardson. Rarely breaks out of a monotone. Definitely stronger with the written word than the spoken one. But that's not saying much at all.
Surely no one can beat Brian Owen for dullness and monotone delivery - I literally can’t listen to him for more than a minute (IMHO!)

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
My main issue with him is that by god his writing is dull. There are lots of very good sports journalists around who find many interesting angles and takes on the sports or teams they cover (different sport, but Mike Atherton is absolutely superb). I’d have thought the Athletic could find someone younger, probably cheaper, and definitely more interesting, to cover the Albion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports