[Albion] Andy Naylor should be renamed…

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Just to point out it’s not his reporting that goads but his comments on Twitter that come over as though he’s telling the fans they’re wrong. (Which he seems to be more and more these days.)
The tweet that this thread is about just remarked that booing Bruno - at the end of the game - was sad. Plenty might reflect that it was, how did come to this ? - but plenty might say - he deserves it. But so what ? Should he not be able to report this stuff ?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The tweet that this thread is about just remarked that booing Bruno - at the end of the game - was sad. Plenty might reflect that it was, how did come to this ? - but plenty might say - he deserves it. But so what ? Should he not be able to report this stuff ?
It's not just about that tweet. It's about his poor reporting of the Winstanley affair in Potter's favour and the many nasty replies he conjures up on Twitter.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Because yesterday was actually fun. It felt like pre-sanitised football when "we" are all together and "they" are the pantomime villains. It was tribal, noisy, visceral and, yes, unfair, but I couldn't give a shit about that. It helped beat a top six side 4-1 and hopefully there will be more of that and less happy clapping in future.

Then along comes the Head of PE from Stoke to tell us all how nasty we are.
He hasn’t called anyone nasty . What I have seen is a thread on here calling Potter “nasty” (really ? ) and We are Brighton calling him a “bastard” . That’s not panto, that’s just Abuse.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
You’re either being disingenuous or missing the point. I (& Guinness Boy I believe) are talking about his general posting style on Twitter over time not just that one tweet. So whilst I subscribe to The Athletic and read his articles I no longer follow him on Twitter for that reason. I’ve not been rude about AN and am just pointing out my observations.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Recently Naylor is getting very tiresome on Twitter. I've never had an issue with him prior to the Potter aftermath but he should give the self righteousness a rest and recognise when he is getting the fan's backs up.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Do you remember Andy Steggal (sp) for that old meridian football Sunday programme doing a repost by H / J block and everyone was singing that at him 🤣
Yes. Now head of Pergall Media (whatever that is).

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
It's not just about that tweet. It's about his poor reporting of the Winstanley affair in Potter's favour and the many nasty replies he conjures up on Twitter.
Yes you’ve qualified your criticism - but That’s not quite how you kicked off the thread is it ?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Yes you’ve qualified your criticism - but That’s not quite how you kicked off the thread is it ?
I kicked off the thread with a joke that has its roots in his defending of Potter. Bruno isn't mentioned in it :shrug:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
He's the reason I canceled my subscription to The Athletic.

He really does not come across well on Twitter.

I can't understand why he continues to cover us? It doesn't appear that he enjoys it and judging by the replies to his tweets he's not reading the room... It's weird that "our" journalist appears to have such a rocky relationship with the fanbase he reports for. I find the whole thing baffling.
You don’t need a a subscription just press reader view on your phone.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I think it’s the lack of balance from Naylor that is the problem. I bet if he sat down with Bloom, Barber or a few of the players and a couple of pints he’d get some fairly strong reactions about what happened.

Likewise at full time when Potter was going around our players , a few definitely gave him the bar minimum or barely acknowledged him - Webster in particular on the PL stream didn’t even look at him and just patted him on the back while Potter was saying well done or similar.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Whoever wrote this on twitter…. Absolutely embarrassing :facepalm:
0D126F8A-C240-4AA6-8E85-03096D579F22.jpeg

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
The other way of looking at it is that he has a tendency to address folk in the same way they address him, although with restraint. The abuse he suffers is unwarranted. I saw some of the reactions to his comments about Bruno. Twitter really is a cesspit.

I have an Athletic subscription and he is good at after the event analysis, often giving insights that we weren't aware of. These insights are not given during the process so the accusations that he is a bit comfy with the club may have some grounding. I won't be renewing once the cheap rate goes.

He is dull because he is safe and tends only to run with facts. I think a lot of folk expect more from his reporting but they will never get it. He only really deals with stuff once it's been through the refiners fire- but that's not much fun. But, yes, I do agree that being close to the club can limit a reporters armoury.

Re The Athletic, I think about 1 in 4 of his articles have any merit, he states the obvious on a frequent basis, and loves it when people suck up to him.

He can’t enter into any sort of debate, and doesn’t take kindly to any level of criticism even when it’s correct.

Not on Twitter so can’t comment.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Re The Athletic, I think about 1 in 4 of his articles have any merit, he states the obvious on a frequent basis, and loves it when people suck up to him.

He can’t enter into any sort of debate, and doesn’t take kindly to any level of criticism even when it’s correct.

Not on Twitter so can’t comment.
I have a cheap subscription to The Athletic which I am stopping as it's not huge in content and I don't look often enough. The reason why I subscribed was because I get tired of all the fantasy articles elsewhere. Much of what is written in papers and online is just lazy journalism, conjecture, distortion and lies. The Athletic seems to be much better than that.

As for Naylor, the bile is unnecessary. For every one Tweet of thinly veiled annoyance he makes there are plenty where Twitter has spilled its guts at him. That's probably the reason why I always stick up for him rather than for any outstanding journalistic credentials.

Folk wouldn't call him a (insert four/five letter explicit) to his face so they shouldn't be cowards and do it elsewhere.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I have a cheap subscription to The Athletic which I am stopping as it's not huge in content and I don't look often enough. The reason why I subscribed was because I get tired of all the fantasy articles elsewhere. Much of what is written in papers and online is just lazy journalism, conjecture, distortion and lies. The Athletic seems to be much better than that.

As for Naylor, the bile is unnecessary. For every one Tweet of thinly veiled annoyance he makes there are plenty where Twitter has spilled its guts at him. That's probably the reason why I always stick up for him rather than for any outstanding journalistic credentials.

Folk wouldn't call him a (insert four/five letter explicit) to his face so they shouldn't be cowards and do it elsewhere.
I’d have no compunction at all about calling Andy a boring puppet to his face.

Nor would I hold back on challenging him on why he digs out our fans.

Intellectual arguments are just as valid in writing or verbal debate. It’s using muscle to win them that’s a bit shitty, and the last resort of the terminally thick

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

But that’s Twitterand why I stay off it.

The Athletic journalists are encouraged to discuss, Naylor doesn’t unless it agrees with his narrative.

I like Dan Duggan who is the Giants journalist, which is the main reason I subscribe

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
But that’s Twitterand why I stay off it.

The Athletic journalists are encouraged to discuss, Naylor doesn’t unless it agrees with his narrative.

I like Dan Duggan who is the Giants journalist, which is the main reason I subscribe
And it's a real shame because Twitter can be a proper Athenian market place at times full of useful information. I remember being stuck on the M4 once going to see Quins at Worcester. I just typed in the junction and info came up from a Sikh in Birmigham about exactly what happened. An enjoyable dialogue followed with him and I realised what a great tool it was for getting to know folks as well. But, sadly, 50% of it is a cesspit.

NSC has long learnt that free speech and standards and values should be mixed. That's why I spend too much time here.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

I also doubt Naylor would of walked into the Northstand yesterday preaching how wrong it is to boo Potter, Bruno and co. He’s just as much a keyboard warrior as some fans are.

Personally don’t think he’s that great on transfers either often doubles back when he’s said no and it’s been the wrong call.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I cancelled my athletic sub. Zero interesting input from Naylor and the guy is just trying to get a rise from Albion fans on Twitter. Suspect both he and The Atheltic are not going to be around much longer. Id actually respect him slightly if he actually tried to see things from a fans persepctive. hes been far too long with his tongue up the ass that feeds him.
Likewise. Found he was always hours (or days) behind twitter with news. Bit sad now, tries to be controversial (presumably for the clicks) but comes across as bitter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports