Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Andy Naylor should be renamed…

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
The other way of looking at it is that he has a tendency to address folk in the same way they address him, although with restraint. The abuse he suffers is unwarranted. I saw some of the reactions to his comments about Bruno. Twitter really is a cesspit.

I have an Athletic subscription and he is good at after the event analysis, often giving insights that we weren't aware of. These insights are not given during the process so the accusations that he is a bit comfy with the club may have some grounding. I won't be renewing once the cheap rate goes.

He is dull because he is safe and tends only to run with facts. I think a lot of folk expect more from his reporting but they will never get it. He only really deals with stuff once it's been through the refiners fire- but that's not much fun. But, yes, I do agree that being close to the club can limit a reporters armoury.
What analysis has he ever come up with that is even vaguely insightful? The Argus back in the day was always good when Brian Owen did the match reports and Naylor did the 'exclusive'. Now Naylor just prints whatever he's told by the club.

I honestly find it astonishing that anyone not on the Albion payroll can think he's a good journalist. Good at getting the nod from Barbs to dismiss untrue transfer rumours? Yes. That's literally all he's good for these days, other than patronising the fanbase.

Really disappointing from a once good journo

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
I cancelled my athletic sub. Zero interesting input from Naylor and the guy is just trying to get a rise from Albion fans on Twitter. Suspect both he and The Atheltic are not going to be around much longer. Id actually respect him slightly if he actually tried to see things from a fans persepctive. hes been far too long with his tongue up the ass that feeds him.

Last edited:

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I've heard he is always right :shrug:

Anyway, aren't you a needy bunch - this obsession with what pundits, "experts" and their grandmas thinks about this or that.
Fake News.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Yeah, the guy has covered Albion for yonks, but he is not a good writer and has form for making inflammatory comments to wind up the fan base, ie get more clicks.

I want our 'club rep' to feel what I feel, whether their opinion matches mine or not. Whenever I'm tempted to try the Athletic, I remember the fact the Albion content is written by Naylor and I don't bother.

stingray

Jan 23, 2018
dull. states the obvious. Don't like his Bruno take. I'm sure TB wd have made sure there was an ongoing role for Bruno in club, but he chose to leave.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
….to “Shoes” because he’s so far up Potter’s arse
Brian Owen made the same point about the booing of Bruno in his post match podcast. Radio Sussex likewise . It’s hardly going out on a limb in terms of takes. .As for WAB then this morning then they’ve decided it’s ok to call Potter a “bastard” - is that being on the “side of the fans” ? ? . Naylor is just a reporter - with perhaps a different view to some of us but not all of us. Ok fair enough if he’s that irksome - ignore him/ don’t subscribe/mute him on Twitter But Some of the vitriol he gets on there and here (why launch another thread for that purpose ?) crosses the line into abuse and certainly doesn’t reflect all the fan base .

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

I’m not anti Andy Naylor but sometimes it does seem like he’s goading Albion fans.

I will just leave the reply below here, I thought it was funny 😆

9E1E4FB5-CC55-4A84-A51B-C2E82C4332AD.jpeg

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Naylor is an irrelevance to Brighton fans these days, writes for a journal that only a tiny fraction of our support bothers with. The best thing we can do is simply ignore, he’s never truly been one of us.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Twenty years ago, at 'The' Withdean, the crowd was occasionally heard to chant "Andy Naylor, is a wanka, is a wanka". I was unaware anything had changed. If John Vinnicombe were alive today (etc.).

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

I’m not anti Andy Naylor but sometimes it does seem like he’s goading Albion fans.

I will just leave the reply below here, I thought it was funny 😆

View attachment 153228

This isn’t the gotcha it’s portrayed as . Potter isn’t employing Winstanley is he. ?

Either way - I think quite a lot of fans quite enjoy being “goaded” by his rather mild reporting. Some of the insulting stuff on this thread is ridiculous.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
All he was posting after the game was potters comments and tweets about the reaction to Bruno, you had to wait until the evening for him to post anything about De Zerbis comments. This from a guy who is supposed to be covering Brighton. He has a long standing back and forward and strange negative relationship with the fans and it comes through in his articles and posts.

That is not an excuse to abuse him but he has a strange approach for someone whose content is really only of interest to the fans he appears to deride

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Brian Owen made the same point about the booing of Bruno in his post match podcast. Radio Sussex likewise . It’s hardly going out on a limb in terms of takes. .As for WAB then this morning then they’ve decided it’s ok to call Potter a “bastard” - is that being on the “side of the fans” ? ? . Naylor is just a reporter - with perhaps a different view to some of us but not all of us. Ok fair enough if he’s that irksome - ignore him/ don’t subscribe/mute him on Twitter But Some of the vitriol he gets on there and here (why launch another thread for that purpose ?) crosses the line into abuse and certainly doesn’t reflect all the fan base .
He trolls Brighton fans. Always has, always will. If you're over 45 and can afford an Athletic subscription you might let him off but none of the young fans I know respect him.

As for Potter this was posted on here last night.

I agree with it.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
This isn’t the gotcha it’s portrayed as . Potter isn’t employing Winstanley is he. ?

Either way - I think quite a lot of fans quite enjoy being “goaded” by his rather mild reporting. Some of the insulting stuff on this thread is ridiculous.
Just to point out it’s not his reporting that goads but his comments on Twitter that come over as though he’s telling the fans they’re wrong. (Which he seems to be more and more these days.)

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Naylor is an irrelevance to Brighton fans these days, writes for a journal that only a tiny fraction of our support bothers with. The best thing we can do is simply ignore, he’s never truly been one of us.
He’s literally watched every match - home and away - for nearly 35 years.
I appreciate The Athletic’s coverage of the Albion (it’s not just AN ) so you don’t speak for all fans. And he comes into his own during transfer windows. Clearly not an irrelevance to fans then as his reporting on NSC is cited in dozens of threads all summer.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Twenty years ago, at 'The' Withdean, the crowd was occasionally heard to chant "Andy Naylor, is a wanka, is a wanka". I was unaware anything had changed. If John Vinnicombe were alive today (etc.).
Do you remember Andy Steggal (sp) for that old meridian football Sunday programme doing a report by H / J block and everyone was singing that at him 🤣

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Just to point out it’s not his reporting that goads but his comments on Twitter that come over as though he’s telling the fans they’re wrong. (Which he seems to be more and more these days.)
Exactly. As I said to Swansman earlier, his approach to transfer rumours when the window is open is spot on for me and that's why he has followers. Then he spends the rest of the time when the window is shut pissing them off or trying to lose them by acting like a superior numpty. Not cool whether you're a Stoke fan or sitting in an Ivory Tower in Sweden.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
He trolls Brighton fans. Always has, always will. If you're over 45 and can afford an Athletic subscription you might let him off but none of the young fans I know respect him.

As for Potter this was posted on here last night.

I agree with it.
I know. And you’ve made the point before. Fair enough. And agreed that few fans stump up for any paid football journalism especially the younger end. That’s sad as Andy might say. But why create a thread, with an abusive opening one liner encouraging a pile on. ?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I know. And you’ve made the point before. Fair enough. And agreed that few fans stump up for any paid football journalism especially the younger end. That’s sad as Andy might say. But why create a thread, with an abusive opening one liner encouraging a pile on. ?
Because yesterday was actually fun. It felt like pre-sanitised football when "we" are all together and "they" are the pantomime villains. It was tribal, noisy, visceral and, yes, unfair, but I couldn't give a shit about that. It helped beat a top six side 4-1 and hopefully there will be more of that and less happy clapping in future.

Then along comes the Head of PE from Stoke to tell us all how nasty we are.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here