Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Andy Naylor - Reference to keyboard warriors

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
That would be my guess.
See you're still toting the same rubbish here.

It isn't rubbish. As proven by Naylor referencing it, countless others saying the same thing, and the fact that statistically, we're a worse team with him in it.

Have we scored with Conway on the pitch yet?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Stats for assists are a bit of a nonsense anyway. He could deliver any number of excellent crosses or put it on a plate for someone, but statistically it counts for naff-all if the recipient doesn't do his job and stick it in the back of the net. We seem to need about 15 chances to score one goal at present.

Thats why I could never understand how much stick KLL would get. Time and time again he'd beat his fullback and get the ball across the box - the fact that nobody got on the end of it would mean all his good work would invariably be forgotten about, except people would remember the odd cross he put into the stand and declare he'd had another shit game.

I'm not sure that's the best defence of crossing/example of why assists are poor.

Part of what makes a good cross is the precision. If you blast it high so it goes over everyone and bounces on the far side, it's a bad cross. If you blast it randomly goal-ward without looking up and it goes no where near a team mate, it's a bad cross. You deserve criticism.

With assists, I would highlight how [eg lualua] a winger can cross it to the far post, it can be nodded down by teammate [eg buckley] and tucked away by an on rushing teammate [eg barnes] and the winger doesn't get the assist, but was still instrumental in the goal. A screwed shot that falls to a teammate can be listed as an assist (such as barnes' assist for croft's goal v forest) . It's essentially, whichever teammate was the last to touch it before the goal scorer received it. You even get assists if you pass it to a team mate deep in our own half, and he takes the ball up the field and scores (as happened with bridge last season, though, I can't remember if he scored or got the assist).

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
It isn't rubbish. As proven by Naylor referencing it, countless others saying the same thing, and the fact that statistically, we're a worse team with him in it.

Totally with you on this. Conway is dreadful, he did put 2 crosses in on Saturday, but the facts are that we created more clear cut chances when he went off and Buckley swapped wings.

In fairness to Conway that may be the answer for him, he actually should be playing on the right instead of the left........

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
That story is bullsh*t on so many levels.

Hand on heart, I would cut my left bollock off to play football for a living for the amount of money Conway is earning. In fact, I'd move to Wales tomorrow and work down the mines for the type of money Conway is earning. That should instantly negate the "he's had to move and is feeling sorry for himself" angle.

Now for the "keyboard warrior" angle. Why even waste the paper and ink highlighting what a faceless, nameless and intangible entity has written on the internet. Individual posts on NSC are someone's opinion and represent nothing other than that. There is no collective "this is what we think". None of it is worth debating outside of these pages, it's just stupid.

Would you be the star miner tomorrow morning? Would all the other miners look at you and think 'wow, that is some great mining!'? Would you be so familiar with every nook and cranny of the mine? Would you know exactly which co-miner needs what kind of assistance? Would you be on the same wavelength as your co-miners? Would you be able to put every moment of focus into mining and not for one second think about "hmm, where am I going to sleep tonight?... I really need to get a place of my own"? Would you be able to put your late term pregnant wife out of your mind while going about doing the same routine every single day?

No one is asking you to feel sorry for him. Just to have a bit of perspective about his performances.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
This is the bit I don't get from Burke's Roar interview.

As said before, everybody has know since May we would start this season 'light up front'.
Assuming Lita ticks every box in Burke's impressive check list, why have the club waited till the 11th hour before getting him in.
The situation with the Albion has only got worse.
I don't imagine LL's circumstances have changed since August.

Why wait so long?

Indeed, If we'd got a striker in for the end of last season when AB went AWOL, Leo could have had a rest & not had 10 knackered scoreless games.
Same now, playing with niggles means out for months

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
If we sign someone on loan then they should be fit and ready to play and not have a load of baggage with them, makes you wonder why we went for him if it was going to take half of his loan spell to get him right

Agree, this is a conundrum I have never understood.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
No one is asking you to feel sorry for him. Just to have a bit of perspective about his performances.

All very admirable except he's a professional athlete who, if too tired by house-hunting and becoming a father to play, owes it to his employer to admit that. But all of that goodwill you're asking from fans is absolute bollocks when the player in question has been tweeting about setting up meetings all over the country for some tin-pot pyramid selling scheme.

As others have said, Naylor doesn't like NSC or NSCers and loves to put the boot in when he can. He's the one being disingenuous here, not the fans who fork out their own money for tickets and travel to watch a journeyman winger on thousands and thousands a week piss about like he couldn't give a toss.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
All very admirable except he's a professional athlete who, if too tired by house-hunting and becoming a father to play, owes it to his employer to admit that. But all of that goodwill you're asking from fans is absolute bollocks when the player in question has been tweeting about setting up meetings all over the country for some tin-pot pyramid selling scheme.

As others have said, Naylor doesn't like NSC or NSCers and loves to put the boot in when he can. He's the one being disingenuous here, not the fans who fork out their own money for tickets and travel to watch a journeyman winger on thousands and thousands a week piss about like he couldn't give a toss.

Is he allowed to have a shit during his loan with us :lolol:

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I think people are sometimes a little too harsh on Andy Naylor. He has a fairly tough job finding a back page lead every day and to fill space inside the paper as well.

Tough job? Please tell me you're joking. Naylor has a well-paid and cushy job, and most of the time he does it to an underwhelming average to poor standard.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Would you be the star miner tomorrow morning? Would all the other miners look at you and think 'wow, that is some great mining!'? Would you be so familiar with every nook and cranny of the mine? Would you know exactly which co-miner needs what kind of assistance? Would you be on the same wavelength as your co-miners? Would you be able to put every moment of focus into mining and not for one second think about "hmm, where am I going to sleep tonight?... I really need to get a place of my own"? Would you be able to put your late term pregnant wife out of your mind while going about doing the same routine every single day?

I've never criticised his performances, from what I've seen he's been ok. Naylor is asking us to feel sorry for him as far as I can see, hence my post :thumbsup:

p.s I'd be the star miner, goes without saying really.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Tough job? Please tell me you're joking. Naylor has a well-paid and cushy job, and most of the time he does it to an underwhelming average to poor standard.

Wasn't saying it was a tough job as such, more that it can't always be easy to find a hard news back page every day just from goings on at the Albion.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Wasn't saying it was a tough job as such, more that it can't always be easy to find a hard news back page every day just from goings on at the Albion.

Fair enough. My reading of this article is Naylor trying to further ingratiate himself with the players and management, rather than do what he is actually paid for; be an objective and informative journo.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Is he allowed to have a shit during his loan with us :lolol:

Eh? Maybe you need it spelled out a bit plainer. I'll have a go, let me know if I'm going too fast.

1.Player gets criticised online for underperforming and appearing to lack commitment
2.Friendly journalist hits back that player is mentally and physically tired from house-hunting/new fatherhood/moving to foreign country(!!)
3. Journalist says we should try to understand these things before making comments.

4. Meanwhile, said player boasts on Twitter that he's got meetings set up all over the country for some business hawking tat and dodgy pills.

I've separated point 4 in case you miss it. It's the crux of my argument. I'd also add (again) that he's already earning thousands of pounds a week for his day job. The one he's getting all the stick about.

Now...how does that possibly equate with your sarcastic comment that seems to hint that we fans are putting onerous restrictions on his movements (bowels or otherwise)?

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove

Because some other NSCers say it, makes it true? Great argument.
Have we conceded a goal with Conway on the pitch yet?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Eh? Maybe you need it spelled out a bit plainer. I'll have a go, let me know if I'm going too fast.

1.Player gets criticised online for underperforming and appearing to lack commitment
2.Friendly journalist hits back that player is mentally and physically tired from house-hunting/new fatherhood/moving to foreign country(!!)
3. Journalist says we should try to understand these things before making comments.

4. Meanwhile, said player boasts on Twitter that he's got meetings set up all over the country for some business hawking tat and dodgy pills.

I've separated point 4 in case you miss it. It's the crux of my argument. I'd also add (again) that he's already earning thousands of pounds a week for his day job. The one he's getting all the stick about.

Now...how does that possibly equate with your sarcastic comment that seems to hint that we fans are putting onerous restrictions on his movements (bowels or otherwise)?

1. He hasn't had any real game time as Kaz has been first choice so it's too early to judge.

2. I cannot see where Naylor said he is mentally and physically tired ???

3. I haven't got a pronblem with Naylor pointing fingers at people who point fingers.

4. I don't stalk players on their twitter sites to find fault with them. If he was adicted to drinking, gambling and prostitutes I may have a concern, but I really haven't got a problem with him being involved in the nutrition industry ???

5. Stop being so sensitive and emotional. :lolol:

That story is bullsh*t on so many levels.

Hand on heart, I would cut my left bollock off to play football for a living for the amount of money Conway is earning. In fact, I'd move to Wales tomorrow and work down the mines for the type of money Conway is earning. That should instantly negate the "he's had to move and is feeling sorry for himself" angle.

Now for the "keyboard warrior" angle. Why even waste the paper and ink highlighting what a faceless, nameless and intangible entity has written on the internet. Individual posts on NSC are someone's opinion and represent nothing other than that. There is no collective "this is what we think". None of it is worth debating outside of these pages, it's just stupid.

Billy I am a bit worried about you cutting off one of your bollocks to play football - I don't think this is a requirement of a professional footballer and would probably lead to you being on our ever growing injury list. Don't do it!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
4. If he was adicted to drinking, gambling and prostitutes I may have a concern, but I really haven't got a problem with him being involved in the nutrition industry ???

So, the player, whom we are supposed to cut some slack, because he has a lot on his plate, with a new baby and house hunting, is struggling for form.

If the players train in the mornings, then rest up in the afternoons ahead of the weekend's game, that would be sensible. If this player, however, chooses, instead of resting up, to drive / fly all over Britain for meetings about his sideline business, you genuinely see no issue with that? And still feel we should be excusing on-pitch lethargy? Really?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
So, the player, whom we are supposed to cut some slack, because he has a lot on his plate, with a new baby and house hunting, is struggling for form.

If the players train in the mornings, then rest up in the afternoons ahead of the weekend's game, that would be sensible. If this player, however, chooses, instead of resting up, to drive / fly all over Britain for meetings about his sideline business, you genuinely see no issue with that? And still feel we should be excusing on-pitch lethargy? Really?

I haven't been to his twitter, can you post his full schedule of meetings and the locations he has to fly all over Britain for?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here